Aldeer.com

clovers

Posted By: buzzard

clovers - 05/03/21 06:05 PM

What have you found to be your favorite varieties?
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: clovers - 05/03/21 07:57 PM

We mix crimson, fixation, frosty and ladino. Last year in October (2020), with the good rainfall through summer, we were planting cereal grains into standing clover that was planted in 2019.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: clovers - 05/03/21 11:15 PM

3F you should put some pellets on it. Makes it grow really fast ๐Ÿ˜†
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: clovers - 05/04/21 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag

Lol
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: clovers - 05/04/21 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag

Come on with it, I can take it. ๐Ÿ˜‚
Posted By: Stoney

Re: clovers - 05/04/21 07:18 PM

Whitetail Institute Imperial is the BEST. Great but costly. Remember if you plant it and cut it and fertilizer it according to directions, one planting will last four to five years. That brings the long time cost way down
Posted By: Overland

Re: clovers - 05/05/21 09:10 PM

Dixie Crimson and Arrowhead Clovers work well for us in the Sandy Loam soils of Barbour County. Soil type will effect which clovers do the best in your area.
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: clovers - 05/21/21 01:39 PM

I use whitetail clover and fusion. I have planted the plot spike from TS also, but the whitetail clover is superior in my opinion. Best time to plant it is in the fall, and then in the spring, come out, cut the field, spray with clethodim and 2,4DB, add some fertilizer and watch what happens.

I want to try durana and see how it does.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: clovers - 05/22/21 02:42 AM

Durana fan here. I have maintained fields for 6-7 years before having to reseed or spot seed. Itโ€™ll last a long time. Itโ€™s drought tolerant and can withstand high grazing pressure.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: clovers - 05/22/21 12:43 PM

WMS Clover Feast does good - wide variety of clovers including 2 that were ranked 1&2 on being preferred by deer in a study according to MS State. South central Alabama - crimson has also done well in this hot climate
Posted By: CNC

Re: clovers - 05/22/21 01:08 PM

Using a mix of clovers works well......Improving your soils organic matter content will really help clover thrive, especially in the sandier soils.....Clover likes soil moisture and a little bit of semi-shade
Posted By: 270wsm

Re: clovers - 05/22/21 02:54 PM

I've had great results the last 2 years with frosty and fixation. My plots typically stay wet 4-6 months and both have performed well.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: clovers - 05/23/21 12:53 AM

^^^^
Thatโ€™s 2 of the big ones In Clover feast
Posted By: BatesConst

Re: clovers - 05/23/21 10:09 PM

I've had great results from imperial clover. Every since the late 80s or early 90s.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: clovers - 05/24/21 01:22 PM

I like durana and patriot combination. North, south running food plots with evening shade.
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: clovers - 06/14/21 02:26 PM

You know what i like about clover? It spreads too. My newest field I cut this year, and it was a little sparse out in the middle, but fertilized it and got some rain, and its filled in nicely. It saves me time, and money. If you think about it, you have to come out in the spring and plant peas/beans right? Means you bush hog, spray, disk, spread and cover. Or you can come out, cut the field, spray it, add a little fertilzer and go with clover. I bet I spent $600 in beans/peas this year. That would buy enough whitetail clover to plant 10 acres plus fertilizer.

And the deer like it. And who hasn't gone out and planted soybeans or clay peas and have the deer mow the field and basically you have a field full of weeds until fall?
© 2024 ALDEER.COM