Aldeer.com

summer plot mixes with hogs around

Posted By: CCC

summer plot mixes with hogs around - 02/08/21 02:42 PM

Guys, what are some good summer plot mixes with pigs around. Will they disrupt iron clay peas?
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: summer plot mixes with hogs around - 02/08/21 03:11 PM

Great question as i would like to know as well..
Posted By: k bush

Re: summer plot mixes with hogs around - 02/08/21 03:38 PM

I know they’ll destroy millet, milo and corn. Anything is fair game prior to germination
Posted By: Mdees

Re: summer plot mixes with hogs around - 02/08/21 05:35 PM

We’ve had our best luck with IC peas. They’d eat the peas after a while but not the plants. Did well with sunn hemp one year but the deer didn’t touch it either. We tried RR soybeans, once. Planted 12 acres of soybeans and had great germination within 10 days. We had 0 acres of soybeans left 2 weeks later. The hogs ate every single seedling.
Posted By: CCC

Re: summer plot mixes with hogs around - 02/08/21 07:13 PM

Do you have any issues with them rooting the pea seeds up after planting?

Re: summer plot mixes with hogs around - 02/09/21 01:59 AM

They'll suck them out of the ground like a Hoover vacuum. But a good thermal scope can break that party up.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: summer plot mixes with hogs around - 02/10/21 01:14 PM

In areas with hog problems white clovers are a great option and will last several years if taken care of.
Posted By: chillinhunt

Re: summer plot mixes with hogs around - 02/10/21 06:09 PM

I hunted a property in Marengo County that was covered up with hogs. We had 14 food plots any where from 1/3 acre to 4 acres. One year we planted the big field in IC peas and they didn't really bother them. Most of the rooting was done in the woods although there was some on the plots. 99% of the time when we saw them on green fields in the fall and winter they were just eating the wheat/oats.

Re: summer plot mixes with hogs around - 02/11/21 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mbrock
In areas with hog problems white clovers are a great option and will last several years if taken care of.

That sounder of 7 I caught yesterday had been hanging out grazing a clover plot pretty hard. Took a week and a half for them to go in the trap that was baited with corn and some molasses poured around the bait.
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: summer plot mixes with hogs around - 03/14/21 08:32 PM

Sunn Hemp. Thats one thing we found they wont mess with.
Posted By: BayedUp

Re: summer plot mixes with hogs around - 03/16/21 01:09 AM

I’ve planted soybeans and iron clay peas without much problem with the hogs but I also was catching them with dogs weekly so they were getting beat back pretty good
© 2024 ALDEER.COM