Aldeer.com

Food plot screen

Posted By: JohnMark

Food plot screen - 01/12/21 02:49 AM

I purchased a new property this year and need about 100 yards of road screen. I was thinking hybrid poplar or hybrid willows for a long term screen but I need something that will be ready for this next hunting season? Egyptian wheat? Suggestions and planting times?
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Food plot screen - 01/12/21 03:00 AM

Egyptian wheat, sorghum Sudan, sunn hemp. Tropical corn
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Food plot screen - 01/12/21 03:00 AM

I’ve done Egyptian Wheat the past couple years. It works well. I’m thinking about doing a custom mix of EW, sorghum sudangrass and grain sorghum this spring.
Posted By: Overland

Re: Food plot screen - 01/13/21 06:52 PM

Eastern Red Cedar - Native species and once it gains height it can be controlled. During the first few years, plant Egyptian Wheat behind it.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Food plot screen - 01/14/21 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Overland
Eastern Red Cedar - Native species and once it gains height it can be controlled. During the first few years, plant Egyptian Wheat behind it.

Yep. Stays green all year and gets bigger.
Posted By: JR1234_

Re: Food plot screen - 01/20/21 06:19 AM

I was thinking about switchgrass as it's a perennial. It only grows to about 6 feet though and grows slower I think. How tall do you need it? I was recently looking at doing that around a future plot of mine but for deer cover not human cover.
Posted By: SharpSpur

Re: Food plot screen - 01/20/21 03:56 PM

FYI, and this may be like saying water is wet to most of yall. EW can't stand glyphosate, like not any. I had the prettiest stand of big 8+' tall EW this past fall. I thought I picked a day with zero wind to spray my "greenfield" that I was screening. About 2 weeks later the screen was history.

I thought I had taken all precautions to not have any drift and I stayed what I thought was way away from the screened edge. Negative GR... Live and learn...
Posted By: JohnMark

Re: Food plot screen - 01/20/21 09:45 PM

Thanks for the info. Just ordered some EW seed. How wide were your rows? Seeding rate?
Posted By: hallb

Re: Food plot screen - 01/21/21 01:22 AM

We planted some sorghum sudan grass hybrid that grew fast and got pretty tall
Posted By: JohnG

Re: Food plot screen - 01/22/21 11:49 AM

We have around 35 acres of food plots and let a local cut hay for free in exchange for as many bales we need for screen which is around 20 per year. Have several in front of houses and in roads, just push them into the woods when you need to get equipment into the field.
Posted By: JR1234_

Re: Food plot screen - 01/22/21 01:41 PM

35 acres of food plots? shocked

Then there is me, struggling to clear an old logging road to drive on, to get to a potential food plot site. rofl
Posted By: ALFisher

Re: Food plot screen - 01/22/21 11:36 PM

I've never had much luck with egyptian wheat. usually falls over in a heavy rainstorm once it gets tall.
Posted By: BPI

Re: Food plot screen - 01/26/21 07:16 PM

The dove like the egyptian wheat as well.
Posted By: CD

Re: Food plot screen - 01/27/21 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by ALFisher
I've never had much luck with egyptian wheat. usually falls over in a heavy rainstorm once it gets tall.

How wide a strip did you plant? I’ve read where you need a pretty wide strip so it can lean on itself without blowing over. I’m interested in learning more about this. I may need a screen in the future and can’t decide if I would rather use some of these annual plantings or something more permanent like trees.
Posted By: Rutabaga

Re: Food plot screen - 01/27/21 02:19 AM

Long term, cane/bamboo. Many varieties to choose from.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Food plot screen - 01/27/21 03:38 AM

Leyland Cypress is what I used , Cedar grows too slow.
Posted By: BPI

Re: Food plot screen - 01/27/21 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rutabaga
Long term, cane/bamboo. Many varieties to choose from.

Long term as in an eternity. Yes.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Food plot screen - 01/30/21 02:48 PM

Mix in some sorghum and millet with the EW. I think the shorter stature of those will help support the EW. Otherwise plant at least 10’ wide strips. I did 6’ this year and it’s not wide enough.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM