Aldeer.com

Used my toy tractor......

Posted By: CNC

Used my toy tractor...... - 12/24/20 03:03 PM

.....to make me a bigger water hole. It's roughly 18' x 18' and about 6 ft deep in the middle......If I use 4ft as an average depth then that gives you roughly 10,000 gallons of water that its holding. It filled up with over a foot of ground water before the rain ever started......That kinda messed me up a little from being able to dig it out as much as I wanted to....need an excavator. It sho nuff filled it up last night though. I'm gonna take and put about 4 trace mineral blocks just up the hill from it so it will wash down into it......the deer love that type of set-up.....Hopefully this will provide me with a place to water a few cows too when I get them next sprig. There's a perfect limb for a rope swing over it too coming off the hill in the back.....I believe its plenty deep enough.....You're just gonna need time your release correctly.... grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JohnG

Re: Used my toy tractor...... - 12/24/20 03:19 PM

I have several old cattle watering holes about that size and was told to evenly spread a hundred pounds of lime in and around it yearly. Deer love the sweet water then paw it like a mineral lick if they dry up.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Used my toy tractor...... - 12/24/20 03:32 PM

Good deal. Water table is high right now.

Re: Used my toy tractor...... - 12/24/20 03:37 PM

This is my old set-up....It's just right behind where I made the new one......I'll be doing this same thing just on a little bigger scale now

[Linked Image]
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Used my toy tractor...... - 12/25/20 03:46 AM

Our 700 acre lease has zero dry weather water sources. The property line on the SW corner has a decent creek but that’s it. 6 years ago we dug a water hole roughly 6’ x 15’ x 3 foot deep. It’s pretty close to the center of the property. There’s a big mineral lick just uphill from it. In August-October I get pics of every single buck on the property. They are a HUGE draw for deer. We added a new on on the north side earlier this year.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Used my toy tractor...... - 12/28/20 10:53 PM

You gonna let some weeds grow up around it and try to pass that off as a duck hole?

Don't fill the spreader on that lawnmower you might flip it.

Re: Used my toy tractor...... - 12/28/20 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller
You gonna let some weeds grow up around it and try to pass that off as a duck hole?

Don't fill the spreader on that lawnmower you might flip it.

If a duck lands in it then you dang right!! grin
© 2024 ALDEER.COM