Aldeer.com

Efficient firelane and stump removal??

Posted By: SharpSpur

Efficient firelane and stump removal?? - 12/22/20 03:28 PM

What is the most efficient way to build fire lanes and pop stumps for new plots in a fresh clear cut. The logging crew used a 550 dozer to build landings, but I have about 9/10's of a mile of lane I want to put in and one more long linear plot. I don't want a trash job but it doesn't have to grade, I can do that with my tractor. Should I look for a track hoe operator or big dozer?
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: Efficient firelane and stump removal?? - 12/22/20 04:15 PM

Bulldozer it in to big piles and burn it
Posted By: k bush

Re: Efficient firelane and stump removal?? - 12/22/20 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by SharpSpur
What is the most efficient way to build fire lanes and pop stumps for new plots in a fresh clear cut. The logging crew used a 550 dozer to build landings, but I have about 9/10's of a mile of lane I want to put in and one more long linear plot. I don't want a trash job but it doesn't have to grade, I can do that with my tractor. Should I look for a track hoe operator or big dozer?

Depending on the size of the stumps and if pine/hardwood, a trackhoe may be more efficient at removing the stumps. Really think you'll need both.
Posted By: sanderson

Re: Efficient firelane and stump removal?? - 12/22/20 09:05 PM

Depending on stump size, stump type, and soil type a big (120+hp) dozer might could do the job for you. But it sounds like you may need trackhoe and dozer.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Efficient firelane and stump removal?? - 12/22/20 10:11 PM

If you want to pick stumps a trackhoe with a thumb is the way to do it most efficiently. If you have the rest of it pretty well cleaned up you might be able to do the rest with the tractor if you have a real tractor.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Efficient firelane and stump removal?? - 12/22/20 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller
..........if you have a real tractor.

Pshhhh..... grin
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Efficient firelane and stump removal?? - 12/22/20 11:17 PM

Talk to the alabama forestry commission office in your area they do that kinda work and don't charge just a whole lot and pretty decent work
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: Efficient firelane and stump removal?? - 12/23/20 01:49 AM

I’d shove with a dozer but you could also get a forestry mulcher to do it quickly but you will have to disk over the stumps and they will eventually rot
Posted By: bambam32

Re: Efficient firelane and stump removal?? - 12/23/20 01:55 AM

We had some areas cleared of pine stumps. The guy used a track hoe and made quick work of them. Used the bulldozer to grade it out.
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Efficient firelane and stump removal?? - 12/23/20 03:57 PM

Forestry mulcher and a sub soiler will have it row crop ready and no stumps or clean up to do.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Efficient firelane and stump removal?? - 12/25/20 05:08 PM

SS, we had to have a trackhoe remove our stumps. We had two big dozers try and they wouldn’t budge our stumps. Stumps were the same size as yours I would assume. Dozer will do a great job at the firelane but It’ll need help with stumps as big as what you have.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Efficient firelane and stump removal?? - 12/29/20 03:36 AM

I’d skip the huge burn piles and push off to side. With that many stumps it would be a big pain to burn completely.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Efficient firelane and stump removal?? - 12/29/20 03:47 AM

You don’t burn the stumps. You bury them anyway if done right
Posted By: Stickers

Re: Efficient firelane and stump removal?? - 01/02/21 12:11 AM

Sharp- estimate on how many stumps ? Pine or hardwood? average diameter of stumps?
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: Efficient firelane and stump removal?? - 01/02/21 09:37 PM

320 + size excavator with a thumb.

To get it clean, D5 plus with root rake
© 2024 ALDEER.COM