Aldeer.com

Frosty Berseem and Fixation Balansa clover

Posted By: mike35549

Frosty Berseem and Fixation Balansa clover - 12/14/20 01:49 AM

These are two clovers that WMS carries and I am sure puts in some of there mixes. They also sell them mixed together called clover feast. Thinking about mixing some of these along with some red clover with our mix next year to try and prolong the benefits of our fields out into mid/late summer. Has anyone planted either or both of these in the past? If so how did they do in the spring/summer and what part of the state did you plant them in.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Frosty Berseem and Fixation Balansa clover - 12/14/20 03:27 AM

I spread some frosty berseem at the house but it was late and won’t do much till spring

Re: Frosty Berseem and Fixation Balansa clover - 12/14/20 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Turkey_neck
I spread some frosty berseem at the house but it was late and won’t do much till spring

It is suppose to really take off late winter early spring.
Posted By: hallb

Re: Frosty Berseem and Fixation Balansa clover - 12/14/20 08:45 PM

I've got both in our mix this year for the first time.

Re: Frosty Berseem and Fixation Balansa clover - 12/15/20 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by hallb

Have you seen much growth out of it this winter? Maybe you could give us an update on this spring and how long it last into the summer.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Frosty Berseem and Fixation Balansa clover - 12/15/20 04:08 AM

If I remember correctly this is frosty berseem I planted around 10/1. Great growth thus far

[Linked Image]

Re: Frosty Berseem and Fixation Balansa clover - 12/15/20 11:31 AM

That’s a lot of growth for a clover for this time of year.
Posted By: 270wsm

Re: Frosty Berseem and Fixation Balansa clover - 12/15/20 12:24 PM

I mixed Clover Feast with TriticOat this year. Looking forward to seeing how it handles wet soil on couple plots late winter and early spring.
Posted By: hunterturf

Re: Frosty Berseem and Fixation Balansa clover - 12/15/20 11:46 PM

https://imgur.com/a/nWPGFnf

Keep the K poured to it and frosty will grow like wildfire

I planted this mid September, I bushhogged it 2 weeks ago for no reason whatsoever just to see how much production I could get out of it. This stuff is unreal.

Wasn’t as impressed with fixation. It seemed a little more sensitive to competition and got 2-3’ deep in the fields that didn’t do very well last fall but was almost non existent it our really good preforming fields

Re: Frosty Berseem and Fixation Balansa clover - 12/16/20 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by hunterturf
https://imgur.com/a/nWPGFnf

Keep the K poured to it and frosty will grow like wildfire

I planted this mid September, I bushhogged it 2 weeks ago for no reason whatsoever just to see how much production I could get out of it. This stuff is unreal.

Wasn’t as impressed with fixation. It seemed a little more sensitive to competition and got 2-3’ deep in the fields that didn’t do very well last fall but was almost non existent it our really good preforming fields

That looks great.

I am going to mix about 5 lbs of the clover feast along with 5 pounds of Kenland red clover with our cereal grain mix next year. Hopefully this will allow the plots to provide some kind of benefit right up until we poison them to plant again.
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Frosty Berseem and Fixation Balansa clover - 12/16/20 11:45 PM

Hunter can correct me on this if I’m misspeaking but, per his recommendation, we planted a mix of frosty, fixation and crimson with our cereal grains in fall of 2019. We had clover 2’ in our cages through the summer and it was still deep green when we sprayed in Sept. Most fields we sprayed with Clethodim and then seeded right into the clover in October of this year. Fields look great, deer are super healthy, weights and lactation rates are up. Very pleased with the combo.

Don’t tell him, but the boy knows food plots.

ETA: we also planted Chickasaw Ladino in the mix

Re: Frosty Berseem and Fixation Balansa clover - 12/18/20 03:10 AM

The picture I posted above was planted with a wheat nurse crop. We planted it with bulldog alfalfa in another field. I’ll try and snap a pic next time I’m there.
Posted By: olemossy

Re: Frosty Berseem and Fixation Balansa clover - 12/18/20 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by 3FFarms
Hunter can correct me on this if I’m misspeaking but, per his recommendation, we planted a mix of frosty, fixation and crimson with our cereal grains in fall of 2019. We had clover 2’ in our cages through the summer and it was still deep green when we sprayed in Sept. Most fields we sprayed with Clethodim and then seeded right into the clover in October of this year. Fields look great, deer are super healthy, weights and lactation rates are up. Very pleased with the combo.

It looks fantastic. my questions are did you drill it in to the existing clover in October if you didnt what method did you use? And how often did you bush hog during the summer? I know the cereal grains died off before summer and some weeds had to come in.. Thanks
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Frosty Berseem and Fixation Balansa clover - 12/18/20 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by olemossy

It looks fantastic. my questions are did you drill it in to the existing clover in October if you didnt what method did you use? And how often did you bush hog during the summer? I know the cereal grains died off before summer and some weeds had to come in.. Thanks

We bushogged in April and July. Hunter came and sprayed Cleth on 9/11 and we seeded T&M on 10/6. Some of the fields we didn’t even mow, just seeded right into the sprayed thatch that had laid over.

^^^We did about half our fields this way, probably 15 or so that still had good clover, and the rest we did traditional spray, disc, seed, drag.

I’m not sure what Josh did on his fields but that is impressive clover growth he has.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Frosty Berseem and Fixation Balansa clover - 12/18/20 07:12 PM

From what I've seen the key to most any clover is having the soil conditions that it wants.....clover top seeds very easily

Very nice looking field.....I may have to give frosty a try next year
Posted By: olemossy

Re: Frosty Berseem and Fixation Balansa clover - 12/18/20 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by olemossy

We bushogged in April and July. Hunter came and sprayed Cleth on 9/11 and we seeded T&M on 10/6. Some of the fields we didn’t even mow, just seeded right into the sprayed thatch that had laid over.

^^^We did about half our fields this way, probably 15 or so that still had good clover, and the rest we did traditional spray, disc, seed, drag.

I’m not sure what Josh did on his fields but that is impressive clover growth he has.

Thank you brother.. Good info there. And yes Josh's fields are very impressive.

Re: Frosty Berseem and Fixation Balansa clover - 12/19/20 04:29 AM

Thanks guys. We didn’t do anything special. This field was half peas and half sunflowers. I did cultipack, sow the clover and cultipack again.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Frosty Berseem and Fixation Balansa clover - 12/19/20 10:19 PM

I planted some of this WMS last year and this year

I had nice healthy clover last spring - my fields are mowed down now - hav not inspected close

One of the clovers supposed to be rated the Top preferred clover by deer on study put on by Miss State
Posted By: hunterturf

Re: Frosty Berseem and Fixation Balansa clover - 12/20/20 01:32 AM

Fixation and frosty were 1 and 2 preferred one year, and then swapped places for the next year. During deer season, there’s not enough fixation for a deer to eat unless planted super early. Fixation is hard to find until u get into March / April

Re: Frosty Berseem and Fixation Balansa clover - 12/21/20 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by hunterturf
Fixation and frosty were 1 and 2 preferred one year, and then swapped places for the next year. During deer season, there’s not enough fixation for a deer to eat unless planted super early. Fixation is hard to find until u get into March / April

My understanding is the frosty will play out late spring early summer, the fixation will come in during spring and last until mid summer, I am gonna mix in some red clover that should last until late summer.
Posted By: hallb

Re: Frosty Berseem and Fixation Balansa clover - 12/21/20 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by mike35549
Originally Posted by hallb

Have you seen much growth out of it this winter? Maybe you could give us an update on this spring and how long it last into the summer.

We have a ton of clover coming up, but honestly at this point, I don't know what is what. We did crimson, ball, fixation and frosty in our mix this year plus whatever is reseed from previous plantings. I can tell what I think is the frosty is coming up with much bigger leaves than the others. So far though I am very pleased with the amount of clover available in the plots during the winter, hopefully they blow up big with clover in the spring.
Posted By: Antlerfluke

Re: Frosty Berseem and Fixation Balansa clover - 12/30/20 05:55 AM

I planted FB and FB (both you mentioned) clovers last year in the fall with my cereal grains. By the end of February 2020, those clovers EXPLODED and wow... man... did they produce!!!! It all ended about the 2nd or 3rd week of June. I would recommend these clovers fo'sho!!!!

Re: Frosty Berseem and Fixation Balansa clover - 12/30/20 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Antlerfluke
I planted FB and FB (both you mentioned) clovers last year in the fall with my cereal grains. By the end of February 2020, those clovers EXPLODED and wow... man... did they produce!!!! It all ended about the 2nd or 3rd week of June. I would recommend these clovers
fo'sho!!!!

I am going to mix in a few pounds next year and see how it does in this red dirt.
Posted By: M48scout

Re: Frosty Berseem and Fixation Balansa clover - 01/13/21 08:18 PM

Can you broadcast clover seed this time of year (or possibly a few weeks from now) and get germination and a little growth by turkey season?
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Frosty Berseem and Fixation Balansa clover - 01/13/21 09:26 PM

I remember throwing some out several seasons ago in February and it was few inches tall when turkey season started and it kept growing - forgot what kind - likely was crimson
© 2024 ALDEER.COM