Aldeer.com

Buck question...

Posted By: CKyleC

Buck question... - 12/11/20 04:37 PM

Through A LOT of blood, sweat, and money, we've made our place pretty good for wildlife. 5 years ago I could hunt for 2 weeks and maybe see 3 deer over that time period. Now, we see 4-5 every sit and I get pics of 8-9 in our plots at one time.

I'm going through some pics from about 3 weeks ago, just before and after Thanksgiving.

I'm seeing WAY more sparring than I've ever seen, and I don't remember seeing it this early. Does this have to do with the increase in does on my property or am I seeing more of it on camera because there are more bucks in general hanging around?

Thoughts?
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Buck question... - 12/11/20 05:05 PM

More deer on your property. Your improvements are paying off.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Buck question... - 12/11/20 05:12 PM

Probably got more middle aged bucks in the population now……I think you see more fighting when your buck population mostly consists of young to middles aged bucks…..When you start getting an older aged component they shut that chit down…….The middle aged bucks don’t compete over that first hot doe anymore…..the old buck just takes it. I think having older bucks in the population takes stress off of the younger ones for this reason.
Posted By: bigcountry692001

Re: Buck question... - 12/11/20 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by CKyleC
Through A LOT of blood, sweat, and money, we've made our place pretty good for wildlife. 5 years ago I could hunt for 2 weeks and maybe see 3 deer over that time period. Now, we see 4-5 every sit and I get pics of 8-9 in our plots at one time.

I'm going through some pics from about 3 weeks ago, just before and after Thanksgiving.

I'm seeing WAY more sparring than I've ever seen, and I don't remember seeing it this early. Does this have to do with the increase in does on my property or am I seeing more of it on camera because there are more bucks in general hanging around?

Thoughts?

Have you implemented any type of management
Posted By: Snuffy

Re: Buck question... - 12/11/20 07:28 PM

No doe killing and trigger management for bucks always pays big dividends.
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Buck question... - 12/12/20 01:21 AM

We are seeing lots of the sparring on the cameras also. The 2 bucks I killed Friday and Monday both had swollen necks, black hocks,and was smelling. This is in southern Monroe Co. Our peak rut is always around Jan 21. Not sure what’s happening but we’ve never seen this before.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Buck question... - 12/12/20 02:11 AM

Smelling and swollen necks in that part Bama is odd this early - peak like u say Jan 21 ish
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Buck question... - 12/12/20 02:27 AM

Im seeing alot of posturing in pics i wasnt seeing three weeks ago. Bucks are all still running together though. Got three good ones running together just last night. All of the sparring pics im getting is young bucks. I think maybe theyre just feeling their oats a little, they dont know whats going on. I have a bachelor group of about five forkhorns running together, theyre the ones doing most of it
Posted By: k bush

Re: Buck question... - 12/12/20 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by TDog93
Smelling and swollen necks in that part Bama is odd this early - peak like u say Jan 21 ish

It's a 2020 thing...
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Buck question... - 12/12/20 08:29 PM

I checked my cameras yesterday and I had some bucks sparring around the first of December
Posted By: Mdees

Re: Buck question... - 12/13/20 12:11 AM

I had a couple sparring on camera back in October. I've heard bucks sparring several times over the years during muzzleloader season but it doesn't appear to get serious until early January in my part of Monroe county. I almost never see much of it during our rut though. Just chasing.
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Buck question... - 12/17/20 04:37 AM

Give us some details on what you been doing
Posted By: Antlerfluke

Re: Buck question... - 01/05/21 04:40 AM

You probably have more deer and certainly more bucks. I believe you have more bucks and therefore, you have more bucks to photograph that are interacting with each other.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM