Aldeer.com

bushhogging pigweed

Posted By: filespinner

bushhogging pigweed - 10/08/20 10:40 AM

I have a John Deere MX8 bushhog on a 70hp tractor. It will not cleanly cut pigweed. Leaves a 3 to 4ft tall pyramid of stalks right in the center of my bushhog strip. So I have to bushhog everything twice. Anyone else have this problem? My blades are sharp. It cuts all other weeds and grass fine on one pass, just not pigweed. At this point I'm thinking about getting another brand of bushhog. Suggestions? Thanks
Posted By: Be_Cam

Re: bushhogging pigweed - 10/08/20 11:23 AM

70 hp at the crank, or pto? Pig weed is tuff but shouldnt be that tuff
Posted By: hayman

Re: bushhogging pigweed - 10/08/20 11:49 AM

Pigweed is too stiff to bend like other weeds and grass so the front of the Bushhog is pushing the pigweed down where the blades don’t cut the stalk. All Bush hogs will do the same thing.
Posted By: trailertrash

Re: bushhogging pigweed - 10/08/20 02:44 PM

Cutting higher may help. Sorta defeats the purpose but maybe you can find a sweet spot in quality vs quantity.
Posted By: Out back

Re: bushhogging pigweed - 10/08/20 02:59 PM

Drop your tailwheel a notch or two. Cut with front end 2 to 3 inches higher than the tailend.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: bushhogging pigweed - 10/08/20 11:21 PM

Cut it before it gets 3-4’ tall. Or spray a week or two before cutting
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: bushhogging pigweed - 10/09/20 01:14 AM

I've dual spindle cutters and they've done that. Just bees that way. Try cutting lower at a slower speed.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: bushhogging pigweed - 10/09/20 01:24 AM

The problem is it’s a deere Mx8 cutter. I bought one. Early on. Deere cutters just aren’t good clean cutters. Grass always wadded up. Ugliest cut I ever seen. Sold it went to landpride. Now I get clean good cuts. It’s not the pigweed. It’s the cutter
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: bushhogging pigweed - 10/09/20 07:32 PM

257 I was cutting coffeeweed with my 10ft landpride yeaterday. It was doing the same thing the op has going on. Now grass, especially if its cut regular, itll cut it as smooth as my scag will, but it dont like big thick weeds.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: bushhogging pigweed - 10/10/20 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by jwalker77
257 I was cutting coffeeweed with my 10ft landpride yeaterday. It was doing the same thing the op has going on. Now grass, especially if its cut regular, itll cut it as smooth as my scag will, but it dont like big thick weeds.

Yup.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM