Aldeer.com

Advice on planting Triticale

Posted By: catdoctor

Advice on planting Triticale - 10/01/20 12:49 AM

I plant with a no till grain drill. I have all ways planted Wheat only at 150 pounds per acre. The last two years I have let some friends hunt with me and we have been planting around 75 pounds of Wheat and 75 pounds of Coker oats per acre.
This year I have ordered and plan on planting Triticale in place of Wheat . I am going to to use the same settings on grain drill chart as I used for Wheat. Do y’all that plant with a drill use the same settings as Wheat and use the other box for the oats.
We have 4 new food plots that we have installed and I know the soil ph is lower than our older plots and as I will lime the new plots before planting. I know it wont help much this year but thinking the Triticale will grow better with the lower ph.
Will also use 350 pounds of triple 17 per acre as always.
Does any one see any problems with this mix or pounds per acre?
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Advice on planting Triticale - 10/01/20 12:57 AM

Use same setting as wheat. But I’ll tell you this. We plant 150# of wheat for high production row crop plantings. I know you are splitting 75#oats, wheat but that’s really high. I plant 40# triticale 40# wheat through my drill on wheat setting. Triticale produces way more tonnage than wheat you really can save some $$ with same results.

Re: Advice on planting Triticale - 10/01/20 01:03 AM

I appreciate the advice. Like I said this the first time using Triticale and I want a good planting.

Re: Advice on planting Triticale - 10/01/20 01:04 AM

It’s bigger seeded than wheat. But very similar. It’s my main staple. Deer love it
Posted By: C3SEAST

Re: Advice on planting Triticale - 10/01/20 02:12 AM

I've had very good luck with triticale also. Seems to be on par with oats in attraction and a lot more cold tolerant. I haven't been able to get any the last couple of years and used Coker 227 oats instead. I prefer the triticale.

Re: Advice on planting Triticale - 10/01/20 02:43 AM

I reserved 26 bags from my seed dealer. He didn't seen concerned with the number ordered. It was $21.00 a bag verses wheat at $9.75 which probably made him happier

Re: Advice on planting Triticale - 10/01/20 03:46 AM

Ouch. That’s high
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Advice on planting Triticale - 10/01/20 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
Ouch. That’s high

Cheapest I’ve bought it it’s usually $24-28 a bag.

Re: Advice on planting Triticale - 10/01/20 06:41 PM

That’s giraffe P high.
Posted By: HHSyelper

Re: Advice on planting Triticale - 10/02/20 03:16 PM

I've never planted it before this year, but let some turd talk me into it, so we shall see.
Posted By: Snuffy

Re: Advice on planting Triticale - 10/02/20 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by HHSyelper
I've never planted it before this year, but let some turd talk me into it, so we shall see.

You won’t be sorry. The deer love it.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Advice on planting Triticale - 10/02/20 04:29 PM

Triticale and Black Oats are the corner stone for all my plots , great combo.
Posted By: Snuffy

Re: Advice on planting Triticale - 10/02/20 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by 2Dogs
Triticale and Black Oats are the corner stone for all my plots , great combo.

^^^This^^^
Posted By: hunting13

Re: Advice on planting Triticale - 10/03/20 03:45 AM

Good stuff! Cheapest Ive found it lately is $20/50lbs
© 2024 ALDEER.COM