Aldeer.com

Throw and mow?

Posted By: JohnMark

Throw and mow? - 09/04/20 02:34 PM

I’m starting a new throw and mow plot about 3/4 of an acre. It is covered in 10-15” grass that I sprayed last week. My question is that if I broadcast the seed, will the mower not vacuum it up and throw it like grass clippings? How short do I need to mow it? I’ve got grains and crimson clover to plant.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Throw and mow? - 09/04/20 04:23 PM

Oh dear Lord....
Posted By: lectrode

Re: Throw and mow? - 09/04/20 04:33 PM

What does that even mean ?
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Throw and mow? - 09/04/20 05:46 PM

You will be good just wait and do it before a good rain event.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Throw and mow? - 09/04/20 06:24 PM

Waiting on CNC to come in and give us a 25,000 word explanation on how to grow weeds...
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Throw and mow? - 09/04/20 06:30 PM

…..and inventory worms.
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Throw and mow? - 09/04/20 09:07 PM

No. Mow it as short as possible.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Throw and mow? - 09/04/20 11:07 PM

A disk is your friend
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Throw and mow? - 09/05/20 03:28 AM

When I have used the throw and now method no herbicidecwas used. It’s as simple as it sounds. Broadcast your seed and mow the grass.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Throw and mow? - 09/05/20 03:37 AM

Your seed will be fine.....the mowing will actually help agitate it down to the soil surface......Don't mow it super short. Put down enough of the biomass to cover the seed over well but not so much that its smothered to death,,,,It's basically a roof that creates a greenhouse effect underneath it. while still allowing the seedling some room to get through to sunlight....Its best to broadcast clovers after mowing if the thatch is heavy .
Posted By: JohnG

Re: Throw and mow? - 09/06/20 01:36 AM

The mower won't vacume the seed up if you leave the grass catcher off.
Posted By: Stickers

Re: Throw and mow? - 09/06/20 07:09 PM

CNC- if you have Dog Fennel, other tall weeds( say as high as the tractor hood on small farm tractor) will the spreader distribute the seed effectively before mowing or do we need to take some "height" off what we are going to T-N-M first?
thanks
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Throw and mow? - 09/06/20 07:18 PM

He’s hooked up to an IV right now recovering from last night. He’ll answer you about 11:30 tonight with multiple posts
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Throw and mow? - 09/06/20 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Stickers
CNC- if you have Dog Fennel, other tall weeds( say as high as the tractor hood on small farm tractor) will the spreader distribute the seed effectively before mowing or do we need to take some "height" off what we are going to T-N-M first?
thanks

The first plot I did had tall dog fennel like that. I sprayed, spread and then mowed. I'm on my 3rd year with that plot and the fennel is thin and about knee high. No need to cut.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Throw and mow? - 09/07/20 01:18 AM

Hilarious 257

I think he posted some family Pics last nite - really nice looking family CNC - way to go!!

Interesting posts going on this weekend - And that is all I hav to say about that

Re: Throw and mow? - 09/07/20 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Stickers
thanks

Ive never had any issues with it.....I typically make a couple passes throwing out a light rate from the hopper so to make sure it all gets covered. I also try not to leave big gaps between each pass. Just don't open up your seed hopper too much trying to put it all out in one run across the field

Re: Throw and mow? - 09/07/20 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by TDog93
Hilarious 257

I think he posted some family Pics last nite - really nice looking family CNC - way to go!!

Interesting posts going on this weekend - And that is all I hav to say about that

Thanks! I appreciate it.....

Must be something in the water
© 2024 ALDEER.COM