Aldeer.com

Getting rid of ryegrass

Posted By: ALFisher

Getting rid of ryegrass - 04/22/20 07:16 PM

I've had a couple of my plots come up thick in ryegrass this year. It's the kind you see on roadsides. I think it is called italian ryegrass. I'm not sure how it got there.

In any event, it's grown fairly tall, as I've had tractor issue and haven't been able to get to it until now. I was considering planting summer stuff in them. Maybe throw and mow. maybe disc. Not sure. The stuff has seed heads on it for sure now, which is how I was able to identify it, or at least I am 90% sure I got it right.

Should I (1) spray it, or (2) just bushhog it or (3) disc it?

I'm concerned about bush hogging or discing because it will just put the seed in the ground. Then again, because it is grown, I'm not sure spraying is going to work either.

To me the best thing maybe to just proceed with my normal plan and then this fall/winter focus on it. As in probably start spraying the heck out of it next February right after deer season is over. Really don't know. If you have any ideas, let me know. Thanks.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 04/22/20 09:59 PM

Spray it with clethodim. Cleth is grass post selective herbicide. It kills grasses only. Yes it’s headed out now but you can still catch later stools and kill them. Get on an earlier spray program next year and knock it on out. There’s other options too but this is first path I’d recommend
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 04/22/20 11:31 PM

I wiped some out with 2 sprayings of hot Gly. First after good green up , then again mid August.

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 04/23/20 01:01 AM

OK. I'll try the clethodim. When you say "earlier spray program" what do you mean? what time of year? Thanks.

Also, I've planted some iron clay peas, buckwheat and sunflowers in a couple of fields. some of the ryegrass is resprouting. I assume cleth is safe on those three plants?

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 04/23/20 01:22 AM

Yes cleth is fine to spray over those 3 crops. Also I mean spray that ryegrass in late February next year. Get it while it’s small.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 04/24/20 01:16 PM

Definitely get it before it heads out with seed. The seeds will resprout, so important to get it before then.

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 04/27/20 05:44 PM

Well, unfortunately, it's a little too late now as it has headed out. I never imagined that I had this stuff in my plots. not sure where it came from, but like I said, it's thick in a few of them. I'm going to spray what I can now, and then do it again right after deer season next year before it heads out.

I assume it kills wheat, oats, triticale also, whatever is left?
Posted By: JohnG

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 04/27/20 10:56 PM

Axial EL this fall after planting. Took a couple years to get rid of wild rye grass,but well worth it.Just when I thought things were under control, creeping buttercup( broad leaf) is my new enemy. Had several plots suppressed with that crap this year.

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 04/27/20 11:52 PM

Axial XL is being replaced by Axial Bold. We used Bold this spring I think it’s doing a better job
Posted By: JohnG

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 04/28/20 10:27 AM

Sorry XL not EL. That stuff did wonders for us, just can't plant oats. Thanks for the heads up on Bold.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 04/28/20 01:14 PM

Alfisher, yes the cleth will kill the grass species, oats,rye,triticale. Around the first of April was the best time, that I found to spray. Of course this may vary from year to year, according to temps.

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 04/28/20 06:29 PM

Yeah, if you waited till April 1 this year, it was too late.

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 04/28/20 06:33 PM

can the axial be safely used on wheat, oats, triticale?

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 04/28/20 06:34 PM

Think I answered my own question. The website says: Axial® Bold herbicide is built on the foundation of Axial brands, the industry standard for grass weed control in cereals. With two active ingredients, trials show Axial Bold delivers improved consistency and broad-spectrum control of top grass weeds including: wild oat, yellow foxtail, Italian ryegrass, green foxtail and barnyardgrass.

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 04/28/20 06:53 PM

Yes axial can be used safely on what you asked for above.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 05/06/20 12:43 AM

Gly, but you won't get it this late.

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 05/06/20 12:49 AM

Not so fast on gly. We have extreme gly resistant ryegrass up here in N AL. So just saying gly is a misleading statement
Posted By: CNC

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 05/06/20 02:18 AM

Nature will adapt

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 05/06/20 02:27 AM

And I will adapt to different chemistry

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 05/06/20 02:31 AM

And further and further down the rabbit hole we go to correct problems we created....nature will continue to adapt to it all

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 05/06/20 02:32 AM

It is what it is....the only way to truly correct it is to quit treating the symptoms and treat the root cause

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 05/06/20 02:34 AM

Another acid trip tonight I see.

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 05/06/20 02:43 AM

You're too predictable.. smile

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 05/06/20 02:53 AM

Speak for yourself

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 05/06/20 03:17 AM

Do you like apples?
Posted By: Antlerfluke

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 05/29/20 01:18 AM

I'm glad ppl are starting to see the negatives of Rye Grass!! "Oh it looks sooooo good planted in the fall on my food plots" and the idiots that planted it would brag about how good their food plots looked with all that green!! Jeeezzzzzz! Do a little research about Rye Grass. There are better choices. I HATE R'grass!!! Now, Rye Grain, now that's good stuff! Sorry, I had an old hunting club president that was awful and he'd brag on his food plots, which were rye grass. Touchy subject! Say no to rye grass!

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 05/29/20 02:12 PM

Going to be tough for me to get rid of it.
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 05/29/20 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by ALFisher
Well, unfortunately, it's a little too late now as it has headed out. I never imagined that I had this stuff in my plots. not sure where it came from, but like I said, it's thick in a few of them.

We had same thing happen. Plots full of rye grass and we dont plant it. Came to find out we had a member who said "deer loved rye grass at the last club i was in" and he had taken it on himself to buy 100# of it and overseed his favorite fields with it.
We still havent gotten rid of all the regrowth 5 yrs later.

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 05/29/20 09:12 PM

Rmart,

what are you using that's taken so long to get rid of it?

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 05/30/20 12:40 AM

Rmart,

Gly. We end up turning more seeds up every year and it keeps popping back up. We try to spot spray when we find it.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 05/31/20 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Rmart30
Rmart,

Gly. We end up turning more seeds up every year and it keeps popping back up. We try to spot spray when we find it.

I hope you got rid of the member who sowed it.

Re: Getting rid of ryegrass - 05/31/20 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by 2Dogs
Originally Posted by Rmart30
Rmart,

I hope you got rid of the member who sowed it.

Didnt get rid of him but got the point across well enough that everyone knows to ask before adding in their extra stuff.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM