Aldeer.com

Another prescribe burn question

Posted By: HHSyelper

Another prescribe burn question - 03/04/20 06:29 PM

With all the rain, how many days will it typically take for pine straw and leaves to dry enough to get a good burn? Looking at 2 week weather forecast, not many stretches more than a few days without rain. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Overland

Re: Another prescribe burn question - 03/04/20 10:40 PM

Need sun, high pressure and wind for a few days to a week to really dry it out.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Another prescribe burn question - 03/04/20 11:41 PM

Probably gonna depend on how much fuel buildup you have as well
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Another prescribe burn question - 03/05/20 12:39 AM

A while.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Another prescribe burn question - 03/05/20 12:52 AM

Last year we burned first week in February on my place. It had only been 2 days since the rain quit. As much rain as we’ve had I saw burns last Friday Saturday and Sunday may have even seen a burn Thursday but it may have been Friday when they started.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Another prescribe burn question - 03/05/20 01:16 AM

I been seeing smoke from my hilltop nearly every day for the past month.
Somebody is getting it done. A lot of it comes from the NF, because I can see Perry Mountain fire tower from my back door.

Re: Another prescribe burn question - 03/05/20 01:22 AM

I burned sunday at the house. It was damp at the bottom. The pine straw was very dry after I think 3 days of dry weather.
[Linked Image]

Re: Another prescribe burn question - 03/05/20 01:29 AM

Well, if it stops raining tomorrow around noon, I might try it Monday afternoon. I really would like to burn it before season.
Posted By: sanderson

Re: Another prescribe burn question - 03/05/20 01:33 AM

Humidity,wind, hours of sun, stand density, fuel type, etc, etc.

Re: Another prescribe burn question - 03/05/20 03:45 AM

Middle of the day seems to be better for burning early and late it won’t burn as good.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Another prescribe burn question - 03/05/20 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Turkey_neck
Middle of the day seems to be better for burning early and late it won’t burn as good.

Humidity levels are at their lowest point during the middle of the day. Be sure to always check the fire weather for that info before lighting one. I believe it was around the low 20's and below where it got pretty iffy to light it up....
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Another prescribe burn question - 03/05/20 01:13 PM

They were burning the national forest and management area around here like crazy after 2.5 days of dry weather last weekend. Gotta get in when you can on years like this
Posted By: Mully

Re: Another prescribe burn question - 03/05/20 02:56 PM

I burned in S Montgomery county Sunday. Lit the fire a little after lunch and it burned great. Humidity levels were in the low to mid 30s at that time. Humidity below 30 and fire can get real dicey for someone who doesn't fully understand it which includes myself.

Re: Another prescribe burn question - 03/05/20 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mully
I burned in S Montgomery county Sunday. Lit the fire a little after lunch and it burned great. Humidity levels were in the low to mid 30s at that time. Humidity below 30 and fire can get real dicey for someone who doesn't fully understand it which includes myself.

Yes it can get ugly quick
Posted By: bwhunter

Re: Another prescribe burn question - 03/05/20 04:39 PM

All depends on what kind of fuel you have, whether the stand is shaded, wind and humidity. I'm planing to burn again Saturday and Sunday this weekend. Tomorrow will be good drying day with the sun and wind and Saturday the humidity is supposed to be in the low 30's. I burned Friday a couple weeks ago the day after rain. It was a 7 year old longleaf with a lot of native grass that dries out quickly.
Posted By: bwhunter

Re: Another prescribe burn question - 03/05/20 06:30 PM

Here's a few of my recent burning pictures. These are from Pike and Shelby Counties over the past three weekends. In some of the longleaf pine you can see the grass and open canopy. These stands dry out quickly and can be burned on days when most everything else is too wet. Also helps that those stands were on sandy ground that drains quickly.

[Linked Image]

Picked up a nice shed from last year
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Another prescribe burn question - 03/06/20 01:28 AM

I burned Saturday after 2 full days of no precipitation. It was on an upland pine site, with two years of needle litter and some native grasses. Two days with sun, a 10 mph wind and humidity in the 20-30 range will dry out fine fuels pretty quickly.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Another prescribe burn question - 03/06/20 04:04 AM

Depends,
We've been getting hot burns lately on a day or 2 of sun and wind with humidity in the low 30's.
We've been more concerned with jumps than getting it done. Mostly 5-10 yr old short leaf pines.

Those long leaf burn pics look great!
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: Another prescribe burn question - 03/07/20 01:29 PM

I’d love to burn one of my leases but my lease holder would probably chit. It’s probably to far gone now anyway I’d say there is to much fuel there and would burn the pines up.

Re: Another prescribe burn question - 03/07/20 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by johndeere5036

I’d love to burn one of my leases but my lease holder would probably chit. It’s probably to far gone now anyway I’d say there is to much fuel there and would burn the pines up.

Lot of people are afraid of burning. Smokey bear has alot to do with it. You have to be careful with it and it will get me worried sometimes too. The Indians used to burn the whole region at the end of summer.
Posted By: Semo

Re: Another prescribe burn question - 03/07/20 06:15 PM

Just did a quick search because this thread had me thinking and nothing popped right up for me. Does anybody have a link to a MFRI map for Alabama? I know ya'll are burning for other reasons and I was just curious about it from a different perspective.

Re: Another prescribe burn question - 03/08/20 05:23 AM

Got a few acres burned today.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM