Aldeer.com

Sun hemp?

Posted By: Turkey_neck

Sun hemp? - 02/29/20 03:22 PM

I found some for $38 for 7# and was thinking about adding it to my summer plots. It would be a mix with peas and sorghum. What y’all think?
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Sun hemp? - 02/29/20 03:38 PM

That’s way too high per pound. A 50# bag can be had for $85 shipped.

Re: Sun hemp? - 02/29/20 06:16 PM

Ok I don’t need a whole bag I’ll try and find some cheaper.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Sun hemp? - 03/01/20 12:51 PM

Check with petcher seed company or Hancock seed, they have smaller bags.

Re: Sun hemp? - 03/01/20 03:59 PM

Ok thanks
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Sun hemp? - 03/01/20 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Turkey_neck
Ok I don’t need a whole bag I’ll try and find some cheaper.

Might can find people to split it with?
Posted By: stl32

Re: Sun hemp? - 03/02/20 07:23 PM

What kind of rate are you thinking about mixing with the peas and grains. I want to come up with a summer mix to use on my stuff that is not clover or going to be planted in corn.

Re: Sun hemp? - 03/03/20 03:58 AM

I’ll just throw some in to add to the plots. I never really plan anything out much just add stuff and see if I can keep the deer out long enough to grow. I’ll probably have 50# I/C peas, 50# sorghum and mix in the hemp. I may add some soybean too but I only have around 2.5 acres between my house and lease. It won’t last long but I try anyway. I go heavy on seed since the throw and mow doesn’t do great with summer seeds. Especially since my lease is only on year one of it I have no soil built yet.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Sun hemp? - 03/03/20 04:12 AM

Go heavy with pure millet at your lease...
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Sun hemp? - 03/03/20 05:46 PM

I'm going to mix up some brown top millet and iron clay peas and see how it does. The soil temperature probably needs to be over 70 I would guess before I plant it. I have got to lime so it will probably be all at the same time.

Re: Sun hemp? - 03/03/20 07:02 PM

If it ever quits raining, I will be planting a mix of cowpeas,buckwheat, and sunn hemp. I like using millet on new fields that need carbon and a lot of organic matter.
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: Sun hemp? - 03/03/20 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by blumsden
If it ever quits raining, I will be planting a mix of cowpeas,buckwheat, and sunn hemp. I like using millet on new fields that need carbon and a lot of organic matter.

What ratio per acre do you use for that? I think i might try it somewhere this spring.

I have been doing (per acre)
ICP 50#
lablab 10#
sunflowers 5#

Re: Sun hemp? - 03/04/20 03:53 AM

I'm going with 50lbs peas, 15lbs buckwheat, 5 lbs sunn hemp.
Posted By: blahblahblah

Re: Sun hemp? - 03/17/20 11:58 PM

Blumsden, I use the same seeds, except I use 10 lbs bw and 10 lbs sunn hemp. I have had buckwheat take a field over before.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM