Aldeer.com

Cotton seed

Posted By: buzzard

Cotton seed - 01/25/20 03:46 PM

Anybody know where to get it around central Alabama / Shelby cty . Been thinking about trying it for the deer
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Cotton seed - 01/25/20 04:14 PM

Go to your local cotton gin. We got it piled in every corner up here. Massive crop

Re: Cotton seed - 01/25/20 04:32 PM

Stupid question but is there a resource / directory for looking up where the gins are located?
Posted By: Clem

Re: Cotton seed - 01/25/20 07:47 PM

Y'all ever heard that cotton seed makes bucks sterile?

I heard two guys from Texas discussing that recently, two who are longtime hunters, study a lot, talk with biologists and high-fence breeders, and feed a lot on their own properties. Neither are Joe Schmoe who thinks his cousin's brother's sister's daddy's uncle's advice is right. They're smart guys.

I've never heard this before. though.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Cotton seed - 01/25/20 08:16 PM

Planters gin is in Chilton co best I recall.

Re: Cotton seed - 01/25/20 10:10 PM

Clem, that is correct. From what I have read it is best to start feeding it as soon as they drop their antlers and then stop in sept. Whatever chemical is in it takes about a month to get out of their system.
Thanks 257
Posted By: sanderson

Re: Cotton seed - 01/25/20 10:30 PM

How would you feed it? Trough feeder? Just dump it in a pile on ground?

Re: Cotton seed - 01/26/20 01:36 PM

Trough or put it into a fence enclosure. Like an exclusion cage for green fields. Put it in and put a piece of tin/wood on top to help keep rain off it. I would post a pic but have never figured it out on here.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Cotton seed - 01/26/20 04:22 PM

Almost any feed store should have cotton seed meal or cotton seed cake, I'm not sure how well they would eat it, but you probably need it in a dry trough.
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: Cotton seed - 02/17/20 02:39 AM

I heard they were out but one dairy farmer I know got some from Dothan. I would be surprised that deer would eat the seed.
Posted By: General

Re: Cotton seed - 02/25/20 08:55 PM

Lots of folks feed gin trash to cows it's full of protein. Never heard that about making the bucks sterile.
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: Cotton seed - 03/10/20 08:42 PM

female slaves use to eat parts of the cotton plant to keep from getting pregnant by the masters baby.
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: Cotton seed - 03/14/20 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by General
Lots of folks feed gin trash to cows it's full of protein. Never heard that about making the bucks sterile.

Gin Trash is low in protein 8-10% like low quality hay unless you get it from an older cotton gin. The new ones are really efficient so it doesn't have much seed in it.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM