Aldeer.com

Plantings for high pH soils

Posted By: sumpter_al

Plantings for high pH soils - 01/14/20 07:58 PM

I have several plots (each 2-5 acres) that have pH of 7.7-7.9. I have not had a soil test done since last spring but for the past 6 years they are always in that range.

What are some recommendations to try to plant that would either grow well, or pull pH down to a lower level? We plant the rest of the plots (with pH of 6.0-6.5) in wheat and AWP in fall and ICP with sunflowers in spring. All the lower plots do well but the one with the high pH look awful.

Anyone know what I can try?
Posted By: JohnG

Re: Plantings for high pH soils - 01/14/20 09:46 PM

Call Russell at AFC in Demopolis about a high sulphur fertilizer blend to help lower PH. He's help me grow a lot of stuff in the white chalk around Faunsdale after I failed.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Plantings for high pH soils - 01/15/20 01:36 PM

You’d be better off just fertilizing with pelletized sulfur.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Plantings for high pH soils - 01/19/20 01:32 PM

Perfect pH for the perfect whitetail food. Alfalfa. Get the RR variety and plant it this spring. You will be amazed by the results. Over seed with wheat in the late fall. Alfalfa stays green 10 months out of the year up here.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Plantings for high pH soils - 01/19/20 02:24 PM

Only issue is drainage in his high Ph soil Fur. I’m thinking he’s in that heavy clay high ph blackbelt strip in W central AL. Alfalfa won’t tolerate that well
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: Plantings for high pH soils - 01/20/20 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
Only issue is drainage in his high Ph soil Fur. I’m thinking he’s in that heavy clay high ph blackbelt strip in W central AL. Alfalfa won’t tolerate that well

Yeah a few years ago I tried alfalfa on a 3 acre plot with ph of 6.8 and it never did well. Ground is either a puddle or dries out a cracks.

Was an expensive failure..
© 2024 ALDEER.COM