Aldeer.com

Summer plot options

Posted By: joshm28

Summer plot options - 12/17/19 02:30 AM

Bored this evening so thought I would start a new thread. In regards to beans what’s your thoughts on the following:
Lab lab
Iron and Clay
Soybeans

Which one have you had the best luck with
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Summer plot options - 12/17/19 02:36 AM

What’s yer deer density and field size?

Re: Summer plot options - 12/17/19 02:43 AM

Let’s say 2 acres and 20 per sq mile
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Summer plot options - 12/17/19 02:46 AM

Around here the deer will let icpeas get up to about kneehigh before they eat on them much, for some reason. They keep them eat down to that height till the end of summer when they will eat them to the ground, that would be my choice.
Soybeans they eat straight out of the ground and wont leave them alone.
Lablab I priced at the coop one time and the price scared me off.
Im gona plant alot of icpeas this spring. I only have about 4acres or so available to plant. I have been planting corn but it is all gone right now so im not planting corn any more. Im going with the peas then ill plant a mix of kale,rape,daikons,and probably oats after the peas play out. Before season starts ill spread 250-300lb of corn through the middle of it each week. Thats my plan next year and I think itll keep the deer coming every day.

Re: Summer plot options - 12/17/19 02:50 AM

That’s been my experience with IC peas as well. Probably what we will end up planting. Plus I like to eat them too lol.

Re: Summer plot options - 12/17/19 02:51 AM

We have 3 plots we didn’t plant this fall. I’m thinking of doing them in a summer rotation only and MAYBE sew brassicas into the standing beans in September

Re: Summer plot options - 12/17/19 02:56 AM

Ive got about a big acre of kale, rape, and daikons that the deer are really liking right now. I put out about 12lb of seed on a big acre. Im gona do the same mix next year except spread the 12lb over 4acres of oats. I think itll do really good.

Re: Summer plot options - 12/17/19 03:03 AM

Try Pasja and Winfred Brassica
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/jzukyxjKJf7Hakx69[/img]

Re: Summer plot options - 12/17/19 03:15 AM

Mine dont look that good, I planted, it came up great, great seed rate, then 20°. Its all up about 6inches high right now but growing good and the deer are eating it good but not destroying it. I planted a little thin knowing it was gona have a tough time growing because I planted so late. It turned out about like I expected. I dont know why I want to plant it in the oats next year, I just feel like it will do good.

Re: Summer plot options - 12/17/19 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by joshm28
Try Pasja and Winfred Brassica
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/jzukyxjKJf7Hakx69[/img]

That stuff calls for 3-4lb per acre. That sure aint much seed.

Re: Summer plot options - 12/17/19 03:21 AM

I think we doubled that rate and still had 30” tall plants
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: Summer plot options - 12/17/19 04:40 AM

I have done iron clay peas with some luck. However I’ll say your best benefit overall comes from fertilizing or burning the undergrowth in the woods to allow natural browse to flourish.. Have seen several cases where lots of money was put into summer plots without much feedback. The deer ate them but not like you’d think they would. I realize some folks lease land and so the land management side isn’t much of an option. It’s hard to go wrong with beans. Peanuts are excellent too if you have the right soil and equipment for it.

Re: Summer plot options - 12/17/19 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Forrestgump1
I have done iron clay peas with some luck. However I’ll say your best benefit overall comes from fertilizing or burning the undergrowth in the woods to allow natural browse to flourish.. Have seen several cases where lots of money was put into summer plots without much feedback. The deer ate them but not like you’d think they would. I realize some folks lease land and so the land management side isn’t much of an option. It’s hard to go wrong with beans. Peanuts are excellent too if you have the right soil and equipment for it.

Lits of natural browse around here, privet, honeysuckle, new chutes and such. I figure theyre staying in the woods and thick stuff browsing all day. Late evenings and nights theyre in the fields. Theyll tear up some icpeas and soybeans around here.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Summer plot options - 12/17/19 02:44 PM

I c peas and sunflowers in the big orange bag at TSC.
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Summer plot options - 12/17/19 03:20 PM

beans and peas don't last for us to make it worth it for what they cost. Milo from NWTF is cheap so it , TSC sunflower and sunn hemp have been our main summer plot seed mix. Soil building as well as feeding is our goal and those 3 leave some good biomass to put back in our poor soil.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Summer plot options - 12/17/19 04:28 PM

I like sunn hemp, cowpea's, buckwheat, and sunflowers.

Re: Summer plot options - 12/17/19 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by jaredhunts

You have my attention. Do they all carry these? Price?

Re: Summer plot options - 12/17/19 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by joshm28
Originally Posted by jaredhunts

You have my attention. Do they all carry these? Price?

They dont carry I c peas. Fairly cheap for 50lb bag at the coop. 15 or so bucks for those sunflowers at TSC. They will grow buy not very tall. 3 or 4 feet high. Deer eat the bloom before it will flower. Cheapest route I've found for a summer plot that'll get hammered. You plant enuff of it and itll do good. I've broadcast and used a single row Covington planter with good results.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Summer plot options - 12/17/19 11:52 PM

Jared, check you e-mail, post them if you want to.

Re: Summer plot options - 12/18/19 12:31 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A honeysuckle browse line.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Summer plot options - 12/18/19 02:17 AM

Sorghum, I/C peas, sunflowers, buckwheat and soybeans all do great if you can keep the deer out of them for 4-6 weeks.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM