Aldeer.com

Plant Identification

Posted By: Dean

Plant Identification - 12/01/19 05:45 PM

Can someone tell me what this is please?
[Linked Image]

This was in October
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Plant Identification - 12/01/19 07:07 PM

Turnip greens

Re: Plant Identification - 12/01/19 07:12 PM

This has been coming up wild every year.

Re: Plant Identification - 12/01/19 07:27 PM

I guess it could be reseeding. I planted a field of turnip greens to sell several years ago and some will come up there every year, not as many as youre showing but some. Sure looks like turnip greens. What does the root on the mature plants look like?
Posted By: Out back

Re: Plant Identification - 12/01/19 08:04 PM

It's a wild variation of turnip. Not nearly as sweet and the deer won't touch them.
They're weeds. Probably came in with some low quality or feed grade seed.

Re: Plant Identification - 12/01/19 08:12 PM

Well what's the best way to eradicate.
Posted By: Auburn_03

Re: Plant Identification - 12/01/19 08:21 PM

2 4D or dicamba will take them out.
Posted By: Teacher One

Re: Plant Identification - 12/01/19 10:37 PM

Had some come up a couple of years ago in a plot I plant every year. I always throw some purple top turnip seed from Co-Op in my mix. Year later I had the same stuff coming back-but not as thick as you have. I sprayed the field with Gly and dished it up about two weeks later like I always do. This Took care of the wild growth. I don't know if it came from the mix or the turnips. Hasn't shown back up yet.
Posted By: centralala

Re: Plant Identification - 12/02/19 12:25 AM

I have been fighting it a few years. Sprayed some fields this past week. I use gly and 2-4db for clover fields. The problem comes in with how long it's been there. The seed bank from what I read can last for like 60 years (how do they know that?). I do know I can kill every bit of it, have it gone for a year, but as soon as I put a disc in the ground, it's right back.

Re: Plant Identification - 12/02/19 12:48 AM

I have radishes and clover in the field also. I'm guessing if i spray it will kill them also?
Posted By: centralala

Re: Plant Identification - 12/02/19 01:31 AM

The clover would be ok with 2-4db. Radishes wouldnt. Might be best to get a pump sprayed and spray just that plant. I have done that with gly. But you have to keep it from seeding.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Plant Identification - 12/03/19 02:59 PM

Leaves look like radish.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Plant Identification - 12/03/19 09:00 PM

Years ago a guy told me it was Canola, I honestly don't know. I know if you feed cows hay it is a matter of time till you get some seed in it and then it is dang near impossible to totally get rid of it.
Posted By: RiverWood

Re: Plant Identification - 12/15/19 12:34 PM

Those are radishes. They will reseed for years just like clover. Why would you want to terminate? Deer love them and they help build your soil. Just plant around them. Clarification: pull one out of ground. If it has a bulb under it = good plant. No bulb = nothing plant.

Re: Plant Identification - 12/15/19 11:54 PM

Here's a picture from this morning. The deer have pretty much eaten everything except what I call the "Stinky Stuff".
[Linked Image]

Here's a close up. You can see some clover and grass.
[Linked Image]

They do not have any kind of bulbs on them. I pulled some up but forgot to take a picture

Should I try and spray now or wait until after hunting season? We do have some good deer on camera using this plot at times.
Posted By: Auburn_03

Re: Plant Identification - 12/16/19 12:07 AM

If I had deer using the field I don’t think I would spray it.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Plant Identification - 12/16/19 12:33 AM

I would leave It a lone until after season. Our deer dont eat turnip leaves. Spinney and bitter. Now collards are a different story.

Re: Plant Identification - 12/16/19 04:00 AM

Just a thought but if you planted a grass there next year you could spray it with a broadleaf herbicide and still have a usable greenfield. Surely over the next couple years you could knock it back preytty good.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Plant Identification - 12/16/19 04:32 AM

I’m going with wild mustard. Pretty common to pick some of that up in plot seed blends that aren’t regulated closely or screened hard. Can bea bitch to get rid of
Posted By: k bush

Re: Plant Identification - 12/16/19 12:28 PM

Imox will kill it, but think it will also damage oats the following year
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Plant Identification - 12/16/19 05:51 PM

They're wild turnip greens and are invasive and worthless. You've already noticed they won't get eaten by anything and don't make a root. Your in a tough spot because if you do nothing and let them go to seed your guaranteeing yourself a years long battle with them. If you nuke them with herbicide you lose a good food plot this year, and depending on what you spray, maybe next.

Re: Plant Identification - 12/16/19 06:28 PM

How does this sound? Hit it with 2-4db now. Go back in a week with some 34-0-0. Will the wheat, oats, rye and clover make it back? Possibly throw some kind of seed ??? out also?

Re: Plant Identification - 12/16/19 07:34 PM

24db isn’t gonna touch that

Re: Plant Identification - 12/16/19 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
24db isn’t gonna touch that

Ok thanks.
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Plant Identification - 12/16/19 08:00 PM

It's wild turnip/mustard and it does stink. It will get yellow flowers on it in spring and then will go to seed. Don't let it happen. As bad as you have it now, it will be back. I know!

Re: Plant Identification - 12/16/19 08:05 PM

Ok well I have plenty of gly how about I hit it after hunting season a couple of times? Then maybe plant something in the spring? What would be good to plant in the spring in that small plot?

Re: Plant Identification - 12/16/19 08:52 PM

I’d hit with 16oz per acre of dicamba. That won’t kill any grasses but will kill broadleaves

Re: Plant Identification - 12/16/19 08:56 PM

I’d hit with 16oz per acre of dicamba. That won’t kill any grasses but will kill broadleaves

Do you think that is something I could or should do now or wait until after hunting season?

Re: Plant Identification - 12/16/19 09:04 PM

After season you can spray gly and kill everything, plant some grass of some kind and keep it sprayed with a broadleaf to keep the greens killed out.

Re: Plant Identification - 12/16/19 11:56 PM

I’d hit it right after deer season before it bolts. Keep your grasses for erosion control

Re: Plant Identification - 12/17/19 12:28 AM

I’d hit it right after deer season before it bolts. Keep your grasses for erosion control

Thank you
© 2024 ALDEER.COM