Aldeer.com

Sowing Honeysuckle and Briar Seed

Posted By: WmHunter

Sowing Honeysuckle and Briar Seed - 11/25/19 10:31 PM

Here is a different kind of land improvement for deer question.

We didn't finish the logging on my place since October ended up being so wet.
But we got half cut that we were going to cut. So I want to do something with those areas as soon as the hunting season is over.
This was a heavy select cut, not a clear cut.

So this has me thinking about all those log cut and pull paths and areas that have clean exposed dirt in there now.
Obviously I will be glad to see it grow back nice and thick. And I plan to hand spray with a backpack sprayer sweetgums as they sprout up.

But I am wondering this: is it possible to hand sow honeysuckle and briar seed?
And greenbriar seed?

Do they actually sell seed for this?

It would be great if those areas that will grow back as thick areas have a lot of honeysuckle and briars in them.
I know there will already be some because it is already in there to some extent.

Any thoughts and recommendations?
I want to maximize the natural food production.
Posted By: centralala

Re: Sowing Honeysuckle and Briar Seed - 11/25/19 10:49 PM

I've never heard of seed for those but may be out there somewhere.

My question to you is the same as I ask myself. Assuming you plan to keep the land, what are your long term goals? 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? If not planned long term eventually the honeysuckle and briars will get shaded out. Even a hinge cut will eventually produce nothing. My goal is food and cover for long term. ESSentially, I want to be able to mow it late winter/early spring. This should knock back tree growth every year so you can cut it every year. Fertilize and lime if necessary. Maybe plant a little Sunn hemp or switch grass in with the honeysuckle and briars. Let grow all summer and start over next year. Basically, a forever CRP field from now on. You could do this in a select cut.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Sowing Honeysuckle and Briar Seed - 11/26/19 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by centralala

My question to you is the same as I ask myself. Assuming you plan to keep the land, what are your long term goals? 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? If not planned long term eventually the honeysuckle and briars will get shaded out. Even a hinge cut will eventually produce nothing. My goal is food and cover for long term. ESSentially, I want to be able to mow it late winter/early spring. This should knock back tree growth every year so you can cut it every year. Fertilize and lime if necessary. Maybe plant a little Sunn hemp or switch grass in with the honeysuckle and briars. Let grow all summer and start over next year. Basically, a forever CRP field from now on. You could do this in a select cut.

Now that's what I would do and did. Those pine stumps will rot out in 4 to 5 years. Easy cutting from then on. Those briers can get to thick. Cutting every winter also creates fresh browse.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Sowing Honeysuckle and Briar Seed - 11/26/19 01:18 AM

I didn't know honeysuckle had seeds, I thought you had to sprig it. Deer dang sure like it tho.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Sowing Honeysuckle and Briar Seed - 11/26/19 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
I didn't know honeysuckle had seeds, I thought you had to sprig it. Deer dang sure like it tho.

It has a flower, ot has a seed.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Sowing Honeysuckle and Briar Seed - 11/26/19 01:51 AM

Never seen a seed only sprigs that you can buy.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Sowing Honeysuckle and Briar Seed - 11/26/19 01:52 AM

just fertilize the briars and honeysuckle.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Sowing Honeysuckle and Briar Seed - 11/26/19 12:12 PM

I would turn it into native grasses and honeysuckle/briars. Burn it every couple years to keep the broadleaf knocked back. You can buy honeysuckle sprigs from Wildlife Group.

Re: Sowing Honeysuckle and Briar Seed - 11/26/19 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by centralala

Good questions!

I am going to keep this place at least 5-10 more years.

The thing is this is area in question is mainly hardwoods not pine now that I cut out all the pine logs and chipnsaw pines, so I won't be burning or bushogging in it.
I left all the oaks so I am afraid to burn it.

Re: Sowing Honeysuckle and Briar Seed - 11/26/19 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by timbercruiser

Yeah, that is what I thought, but I don't feel like hand planting sprigs on 60 acres.
Was looking for easy way, lol.

Maybe I will hire some teenagers from church to do the hand planting of sprigs and I will just carry the trays, lol.

Re: Sowing Honeysuckle and Briar Seed - 11/26/19 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
just fertilize the briars and honeysuckle.

Good advice.
Posted By: k bush

Re: Sowing Honeysuckle and Briar Seed - 11/27/19 01:32 AM

Or just go dig root.sections from established honeysuckle plots.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Sowing Honeysuckle and Briar Seed - 11/27/19 04:02 AM

Burn it
© 2024 ALDEER.COM