Aldeer.com

Rye grass got to go.

Posted By: Turkey_neck

Rye grass got to go. - 10/26/19 10:31 PM

My best field at the house is being overtaken now. Planted some 8-10 years ago and it’s kind of grown since. It was in a small wet area till now but it’s got to go this year. How do y’all combat it?
Posted By: centralala

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 10/26/19 10:50 PM

I sprayed clethodium on it in clover. Worked well. Can't spray cleth on it if there is wheat, oats, etc. in it.

Funny thing is I just planted about 100 acres in rye grass. Planted about 100 acres in berseem clover also.

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 10/27/19 12:06 AM

I’m thinking spray cleth in spring before it goes to seed and spred elbon so I still get my grass component for my T/M.

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 10/27/19 01:23 AM

I sprayed some this past spring that had gotten about knee high. Suppose to spray it before it gets that far along. Killed it as pretty as you could ask for. I do have some coming back I will spray when it all gets up where I can see what needs to be sprayed. But I can tell it's way less than last year.
Posted By: JohnG

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 10/27/19 02:15 AM

Easy. Only plant wheat along with broadleafs and spray with Axial XL. Yes, it's around $350 per 2.5gal but it only takes one pint per acre. You can fight it all you want in the spring but you will never win.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 10/27/19 02:24 AM

Look at my man JohnG with some down right straight up good label advice. He’s right on.

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 10/27/19 02:54 AM

If you want to give it a shot turkey, I will be happy to send you a little. It's labeled for use on wheat and barley, have no idea what it will do to cereal rye.

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 10/27/19 02:57 AM

It will not hurt cereal rye one bit. We use it all the time

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 10/27/19 03:00 AM

Good deal
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 10/27/19 12:34 PM

I hate the stuff. I had it bad several years ago. I nuked it with hot gly in late spring , then again in August . Did the trick , you have to get it early , before it puts on seed.

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 10/27/19 03:31 PM

My field is planted in wheat, rye and triticale plus clover. Would all those be good with that? It’s only a half acre field with probably only 60% having it this year.

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 10/27/19 03:53 PM

Go for it, better than having a mat of green toothpicks suppressing what you planted. PM me a physical address and I will UPS 6oz to you when I get back from the camp on Wednesday. Y'll be able to hit that with a spot sprayer at 3/4 oz per gallon of water. Don't look for fast results, it takes over a week for the slow death to start.

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 10/27/19 04:45 PM

Will do thanks.

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 10/27/19 06:01 PM

Got it
Posted By: daniel white

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 10/29/19 11:33 AM

I’m over planting all my plots in Marshall and crimson every year. 🤣🤣

I like me some ryegrass.
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 10/29/19 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by JohnG
Easy. Only plant wheat along with broadleafs and spray with Axial XL. Yes, it's around $350 per 2.5gal but it only takes one pint per acre. You can fight it all you want in the spring but you will never win.

Only kills grass? Work on cogon grass patch I wonder?
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 10/29/19 03:54 PM

Label doesn't mention cogon, I doubt it would work on cogon.

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 10/29/19 04:33 PM

Won’t work on cogon

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 10/29/19 04:34 PM

And just a side note we have axial resistance in Italian ryegrass up here in the Tn valley
Posted By: ALFisher

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 10/29/19 07:53 PM

I thought Marshall ryegrass is an annual - that is - doesn't come up again. Did you plant some other kind?
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 10/29/19 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by ALFisher
I thought Marshall ryegrass is an annual - that is - doesn't come up again. Did you plant some other kind?

An annual with about a bazillion seeds that lay there until you're not looking and then germinate after you plant the stuff you want

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 10/29/19 10:07 PM

All ryegrass is a perennial. Marshall included
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 10/29/19 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag

Whats the deal with the "perennial rye" that you see that costs three times as much? Same stuff?

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 10/30/19 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by ronfromramer

An annual with about a bazillion seeds that lay there until you're not looking and then germinate after you plant the stuff you want

Yep, ryegrass is the devil.

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 10/30/19 01:32 AM

ESP if you’re a wheat farmer
Posted By: toothdoc

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 10/30/19 02:22 AM

If it's a half acre field designed to get deer to stop long enough to take a shot, then who cares? I hunted on a place several years ago where the owner planted about 10ac of the stuff over 4 fields and we saw deer out there munching it every evening.

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 10/30/19 03:47 AM

Mine will walk right through the worst area to get to the good grasses.
Posted By: ALFisher

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 10/30/19 05:12 AM

I guess they shouldn't be allowed to advertise it as annual, then.
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 10/30/19 11:03 AM

If there isn't much food around (pine plantations) and you have poor soil (pine plantations) there is hardly a better choice than annual rye grass. The places where I've planted it and it gets heavily grazed it doesn't come back naturally, deer eat too much of it for it to set seed. It will also turn hard as a rock logging landing soil into dirt you can do something with in a season or two.
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 11/03/19 03:03 AM

Loved Marshall when I had cows. I have seen many a deer in ryegrass, but there are better things for them to eat.
Posted By: 007

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 11/03/19 04:14 AM

Nope. Ryegrasses can be annual, biennial, or perennial. Most of what we see on roadsides is annual.

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 11/03/19 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by 007

Nope. Ryegrasses can be annual, biennial, or perennial. Most of what we see on roadsides is annual.

Interesting, I learned something. Please explain what the difference is in Rye and Ryegrass.

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 11/03/19 04:05 PM

I've been planting food plots for around 40 years with a lot of trial and error involved. I know what works best for me but I still try fields or parts of fields to continue trying something new. I also know sometimes rye grass is the ONLY option. There are some members on here that I planted about 100 acres of rye grass where they hunt or at least part of what they hunt this year and years in the past. The soil PH is about 7.0 naturally. About 15" down there is a solid layer of limestone. I'm not talking a bunch of rocks. I'm talking like ONE huge rock about 12" thick covering hundreds of acres. When the winter rains start it saturates that 15" of soil fairly quick. The water can't go down because of the rock. So, there are MONTHS of wet, REALLY wet, soil. The only products that has survived these conditions has been rye grass, Chickasaw clover, and Berseem clover. And deer are killed on these fields.
Posted By: 007

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 11/03/19 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by 2Dogs
Originally Posted by 007

Interesting, I learned something. Please explain what the difference is in Rye and Ryegrass.

In a nutshell, rye is a cereal grain and ryegrass is a cool-season forage grass. That’s not to say rye cannot be used as a forage grass, but it isn’t as desirable for that use as ryegrass is. I’m speaking strictly for cattle here. Deer will eat both.
Also, ryegrass is a Lolium species and rye is in the genus Secale.

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 11/03/19 05:46 PM

I wasn’t referring to cereal rye.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 11/03/19 11:31 PM

I guess they shouldn't be allowed to advertise it as annual, then.

Every plant replicates. Every plant makes seeds. That doesn’t make it a perennial.

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 11/04/19 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by 007
Originally Posted by 2Dogs
Originally Posted by 007

In a nutshell, rye is a cereal grain and ryegrass is a cool-season forage grass. That’s not to say rye cannot be used as a forage grass, but it isn’t as desirable for that use as ryegrass is. I’m speaking strictly for cattle here. Deer will eat both.
Also, ryegrass is a Lolium species and rye is in the genus Secale.

To the uneducated , sounds like one of them shouldn't be called Rye. I know it can be confusing . You have to watch the goof balls at the Co-op , you tell them Cereal Rye they may load Rye grass in your truck and vice versa.
Posted By: Auburn_03

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 11/04/19 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by centralala
I've been planting food plots for around 40 years with a lot of trial and error involved. I know what works best for me but I still try fields or parts of fields to continue trying something new. I also know sometimes rye grass is the ONLY option. There are some members on here that I planted about 100 acres of rye grass where they hunt or at least part of what they hunt this year and years in the past. The soil PH is about 7.0 naturally. About 15" down there is a solid layer of limestone. I'm not talking a bunch of rocks. I'm talking like ONE huge rock about 12" thick covering hundreds of acres. When the winter rains start it saturates that 15" of soil fairly quick. The water can't go down because of the rock. So, there are MONTHS of wet, REALLY wet, soil. The only products that has survived these conditions has been rye grass, Chickasaw clover, and Berseem clover. And deer are killed on these fields.

I think your talking about Jed’s farm. A few seasons ago we had a 20 acre field planted in Nelson ryegrass and it had 2 140”+ bucks killed off it. We would see anywhere between 20-30 deer per afternoon and 5-8 would be bucks. They would be grazing at 3:00 when we went to the field and would still be in the field at dark. The deer would walk across our food plots to eat the Nelson Ryegrass.

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 11/04/19 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Auburn_03

I think your talking about Jed’s farm. A few seasons ago we had a 20 acre field planted in Nelson ryegrass and it had 2 140”+ bucks killed off it. We would see anywhere between 20-30 deer per afternoon and 5-8 would be bucks. They would be grazing at 3:00 when we went to the field and would still be in the field at dark. The deer would walk across our food plots to eat the Nelson Ryegrass.

Yes. I planted the field beside the trailer is all I recall planting on that side of the road. Saw the most fawns I seen down there this year. Also found 2 really nice sheds this spring where that Nelson grass was planted a couple of years ago. NOTHING went right planting this year from flat tires, seed not flowing, busted hydraulic lines,etc. I'm ashamed to be associated with the work that I did. Probably will look terrible.

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 11/05/19 01:47 AM

Thanks John got it today.
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 11/05/19 06:51 PM

^^^This is what I deal with in Sumter county.^^^

The mud there is very difficult. Like much in nature you have to learn to respect it. I have places where no motorized vehicle could cross it. Hell its about impossible to do in rubber boots. Most of our "roads" have ryegrass spread on them to hold the soil together enough it can be walked across.

I have one field that has a pH of 7.9. There isnt much that will grow there except turnips.
Posted By: just_an_illusion

Re: Rye grass got to go. - 11/14/19 01:39 AM

Cows will take care of it 😂
© 2024 ALDEER.COM