Aldeer.com

Spraying before discing

Posted By: StoneMan

Spraying before discing - 09/28/19 03:00 AM

How long shall you wait before breaking ground after killing the grass? Bush hogged 2 weeks ago and it’s already grown up another 6”. Wanting to kill the grass before discing to cut down time running back and forth.
Posted By: muzziehead

Re: Spraying before discing - 09/28/19 03:50 AM

I spray mine only a few days after mowing, as soon as I see New growth. Then let it set for 10-14 days and it is so much easier to disc. We created a new plot today based on a last minute decision. Mowed it Thursday and then hit with a disc followed by rotary tiller. Had to push a few big piles of grass with the front end loader and it took a bit longer but we have a new 1acre plot. So there are other options if you are in a crunch
Posted By: JohnG

Re: Spraying before discing - 09/28/19 11:53 AM

The longer you wait the better. It's not only the green your wanting to kill, decomposing of the roots is what makes breaking ground easy. We bush cut in June to get the old growth on the ground and give time to rot then cut again the first week of August before fawns start to drop. Try not to have bad windrows. A week later, or when things start to green up good, spray with gly at a rate of 1.5 to 2 quarts and 20 gallons of water per acre with a gulp of ammonium sulfate. Spot spray a few days later if needed. let sit then start breaking ground a month later. You have to remember, weeds need to be actively growing. Cutting then spraying in super dry conditions may not give you the results you want.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Spraying before discing - 09/28/19 11:41 PM

We wait until everything is dead before we disc, which is usually 10 days to 2 weeks. I know a feller that got anxious one year and tilled a week after spraying and he still had green stuff. He immediately planted after tilling. The green stuff had the chemical in it and killed his sprouts as soon as they emerged from the seed. Be patient and let the killing complete its job.

And to the OP, go ahead and spray so it will have time to die.
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Spraying before discing - 09/29/19 04:31 PM

I wait at least 2 weeks after spraying. The longer you wait the crispier it is and the more the roots turn loose of the soil and dont clump up.
Posted By: StoneMan

Re: Spraying before discing - 10/01/19 12:19 AM

Thanks guys. Going to spray tomorrow afternoon and hope to plant 3rd week of october
© 2024 ALDEER.COM