Aldeer.com

Throw and Mow (no-till planting)

Posted By: hosscat

Throw and Mow (no-till planting) - 09/26/19 01:49 PM

Here is my situation.

We have sprayed most of our food plots already and would normally burn them to allow us to actually disk them up. Its too dry right now to burn so every week that goes by we are getting farther and farther behind. We like to be done planting by bow season so we can just enjoy hunting.

Since we are so far behind I'm looking into ways of cutting some time especially since we all have kids playing sports, etc.. and have less time than ever to get it all done. We do have an older JD grain drill with double coulters (Van Burnt) that has a homemade drag we pull behind it.

What would be better: broadcasting seed then bush hogging over it. Running the drill through the sprayed fields without bush hogging. Running the drill then bush hogging.

A couple of our larger fields are super thick with Bermuda grass and Johnson grass. Everything is pretty crunchy except the Bermuda, its dead enough to burn but not completely crunchy.

No planting will be done until we have gotten some rain and decent ground moisture.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Throw and Mow (no-till planting) - 10/03/19 06:05 PM

If the drill doesn't have no till coulters, I'd leave it in the barn. It sound like you've already sprayed. Just sling seed and bushhog, when we get a decent rain chance.
Posted By: Mully

Re: Throw and Mow (no-till planting) - 10/03/19 06:12 PM

I am in the same boat with my fields. I sprayed them 3 weeks ago tomorrow and they are toasty. On one place we are waiting on rain then plan to sling seed and fertilizer and run the disk over it a couple times. Hopefully this will be a combo of throw n mow/covering it with a disk. On the other we plan to disk the fields next weekend to the best of our abilities(have some larger equipment at this place) then plant the weekend of 10/18. We'll see how they turn out.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM