Aldeer.com

No Till food plot

Posted By: DGAMBLER

No Till food plot - 09/11/19 01:37 PM

What have ya'll used for seed with the best results? I'm talking about finding an opening in the woods, cleaning up the leaves and throwing the seed/fertilizer before a good rain. I'm thinking about the WMS no-till stuff but I wanted some facts/opinions first. thumbup
Posted By: Remington270

Re: No Till food plot - 09/11/19 01:50 PM

Cereal rye will probably work best.

Forage rape is a very small seed and will sprout great, but in a small plot will likely get wiped out.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: No Till food plot - 09/11/19 02:00 PM

I used a product called secret spot. Lots of small seeds. I raked over it before a rain and it did great. Small seeds work best.
Posted By: ALFisher

Re: No Till food plot - 09/11/19 02:54 PM

I'd go get some rye, rape, and crimson clover. can do it for less money than WMS bag.
Posted By: fillmore

Re: No Till food plot - 09/11/19 05:18 PM

Any need to fertilize?

Re: No Till food plot - 09/11/19 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by fillmore
Any need to fertilize?

Always.

Re: No Till food plot - 09/11/19 05:45 PM

The wms is only 18 bucks for a 20 pound bag and seeds are coated. Yall think i can do it cheaper by making my own blend? Under 20 bucks ain't bad to me...lol
Posted By: buzzard

Re: No Till food plot - 09/11/19 06:04 PM

put the lime to it and keep the leaves off of it.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: No Till food plot - 09/11/19 06:08 PM

If the ph is below a 5, I wouldn't fertilize, just throwing money away. Cereal rye and Crimson clover and plant it a little heavy. If you can get an atv to it drag over the seed some. How large of an area are we talking?

Re: No Till food plot - 09/11/19 09:15 PM

Its probably 1/8 acre or so...maybe not even that big
Posted By: blumsden

Re: No Till food plot - 09/12/19 12:23 PM

A plot that small will do well for a bow plot but will get eaten down to nothing, if you have a lot of deer ,later in the season.

Re: No Till food plot - 09/12/19 04:13 PM

That's good with me...myself and 1 other guy bow hunt so hopefully we can reap the rewards from it. grin
Posted By: CatHeadBiscuit

Re: No Till food plot - 09/13/19 01:38 AM

I use a blower to clear the leaves. Put out lime and fertilizer this coming weekend. Then rye grass seed cause not enough sun light for other plants to grow much. I know blasphemy
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: No Till food plot - 09/13/19 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by fillmore
Any need to fertilize?

Only if you want it to grow

Re: No Till food plot - 09/13/19 01:40 PM

So if I'm able to get a tractor and disc in there, do I disc and just spread fert, lime, and seed or should I lighty cut in with the disc after. I'm planting a 5-way of oats, rye, wheat, clover and rape. I would think it will germinate if I just top sow...but idk...what ya'll think?

Re: No Till food plot - 09/13/19 04:17 PM

Disc that fert/like in and drag over the seed. Discing might get the clover and rape to deep.

Re: No Till food plot - 09/13/19 06:38 PM

thanks!

Re: No Till food plot - 09/14/19 03:16 PM

Well boys, i pulled the trigger and planted my little bow plot yesterday afternoon. I was able to get back in there with a tractor so I disced in some lime and fert, then spread the seed and went back over with tractor tires to pack. It sure looks good, just need some showers now. Hopefully being closer to the gulf will help me out.
Posted By: CatHeadBiscuit

Re: No Till food plot - 09/15/19 12:16 AM

Good luck on the rain 🌧

Re: No Till food plot - 09/15/19 01:22 AM

It will all work out.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM