Aldeer.com

Spraying

Posted By: Raven

Spraying - 08/10/19 11:39 PM

Do you spray before or after you bushhog. I've always Bush hogged then sprayed. Hearing different opinions
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Spraying - 08/11/19 12:10 AM

Before. Throw and mow.
Posted By: mike35549

Re: Spraying - 08/11/19 01:50 AM

You can do it either way and get good results. Last few years we haven't cut at all just spray 4-6 weeks prior to planting then plow and plant.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Spraying - 08/11/19 02:08 AM

If the growth is very tall, you will get best results if you bushhog and spray a couple weeks later. The new growth will take up the gly even better.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Spraying - 08/11/19 03:16 AM

I sprayed two weeks ago, planning on spreading the seed and fertilizer about the last weekend of Sept and then cut it in.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Spraying - 08/11/19 12:23 PM

I like to bush hog (or disk) first, then spray. Sometimes I'll bush hog, then burn, then spray.
If the vegetation is not thick, I'll just use my disk to turn it under and spray a mix of glysophate and imazapyr. Wait about two weeks, break it again and then plant.
That throw and pray garbage is for people who don't have equipment to do it correctly.
I'm fortunate to have the equipment to prepare a proper seed bed and I don't have to make excuses for an ineffective planting method.

Re: Spraying - 08/11/19 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Out back
I like to bush hog (or disk) first, then spray. Sometimes I'll bush hog, then burn, then spray.
If the vegetation is not thick, I'll just use my disk to turn it under and spray a mix of glysophate and imazapyr. Wait about two weeks, break it again and then plant.
That throw and pray garbage is for people who don't have equipment to do it correctly.
I'm fortunate to have the equipment to prepare a proper seed bed and I don't have to make excuses for an ineffective planting method.

You have no idea as to what you are talking about.

Re: Spraying - 08/11/19 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by jaredhunts

You have no idea as to what you are talking about.

We just know what's works for us.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Spraying - 08/11/19 07:34 PM

Do you put sugar in your mix outback?

Re: Spraying - 08/11/19 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag

Sometimes in the Grits but never the cornbread.
Posted By: sanderson

Re: Spraying - 08/11/19 07:37 PM

Imazapyr in a food plot? What’s the purpose?

Re: Spraying - 08/12/19 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag

Sometimes in the Grits but never the cornbread.

But why would you cut then spray? Most plots are jungles right now. Spraying first would seem to make it easier on the operator and equipment.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Spraying - 08/12/19 01:35 AM

Jared, I get a better kill if I cut then spray. No big stalks blocking the spray. Mine has a boom, not boomless.
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Spraying - 08/12/19 02:01 AM

Unless the grass/weeds are fairly short, I mow, then a week or so later I spray. About to start mowing soon. I've got fields that are waist to head high, no way I could get a good kill without mowing first

Re: Spraying - 08/12/19 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by ronfromramer
Unless the grass/weeds are fairly short, I mow, then a week or so later I spray. About to start mowing soon. I've got fields that are waist to head high, no way I could get a good kill without mowing first

Agree with that

Re: Spraying - 08/12/19 05:07 PM

You will get a better kill if you bush hog first and then spray a couple weeks latter. We don't bush hog first becaus we found the results in the end did not justify the extra time and money over just spraying.
Posted By: ALFisher

Re: Spraying - 08/13/19 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by mike35549
You will get a better kill if you bush hog first and then spray a couple weeks latter. We don't bush hog first becaus we found the results in the end did not justify the extra time and money over just spraying.

Just spraying then what? seeding and fertilizing into the sprayed stuff and letting it fall over onto it? interested. Thanks.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Spraying - 08/13/19 11:25 AM

If it's mainly just grass, then spray it about 2-3 weeks before you plan on planting. It will die and lay over in a matt. I sew my seed and p and k fertilizer into it and walk away. I come back when everything is about 2-3 inches high and hit with ammonium nitrate.

Re: Spraying - 08/13/19 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by ALFisher

Just spraying then what? seeding and fertilizing into the sprayed stuff and letting it fall over onto it? interested. Thanks.

Yes-seeding and fertilizing into the dead stuff you killed a few weeks earlier.
Posted By: ALFisher

Re: Spraying - 08/13/19 04:59 PM

interesting. Never thought I could get by without bush hogging.

Re: Spraying - 08/13/19 07:49 PM

interesting. Never thought I could get by without bush hogging.

I would cut the dead material down after seeding and fertilizing. Throw and mow. You could probably do it with out cutting but each plot is going to react different. Throw and mow worked great for me.last season but I have some plots in sandy soil. Dont know how great it would work in a heavy clay. Cutting dead grass is a lot easier than cutting green grass. You could skip cutting and go right to tilling after spraying, saving time that way.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Spraying - 08/14/19 11:40 AM

Technically speaking gly works best on young actively growing weeds and grasses. It kills from the roots, and it does not kill seed. If your goal to remove all weeds and grasses for this year and next, then bushhog, wait 2-3 weeks and then spray, but if you disk, well then you've just brought up more dormant seed that will resprout.

Re: Spraying - 08/14/19 12:59 PM

We disk before planting just don't bush hog before we spray. We spray wait 4-6 weeks disk and plant.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM