Sicklepod

Posted By: BradB

Sicklepod - 07/19/19 06:38 PM

Does anything kill this crap?
Posted By: Strictlybow

Re: Sicklepod - 07/19/19 07:20 PM

No.

What is it growing in?

Been fighting it last few years in my summer plantings. Butyrac will curl it up but then it straightens back out.
Now soon as it gets tall enough I bush hog it.

Re: Sicklepod - 07/19/19 07:47 PM

It has just exploded in my corn/bean field and a buffer I plant a summer mix. I guess I will mow it, till it and maybe plant some millet over it in areas it is thick. Really gonna suck mowing down waist high corn and beans but I definitely gotta get a handle on it or I will lose the field. Might bottom plow it and try burying the seeds
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Sicklepod - 07/20/19 01:43 AM

DO NOT plow seed under. It’s a large seeded weed you’ll regret that. Gly and python are only sure bet in soybeans. Atrazine plus laudis gets it in corn. Just gotta kill it when small if you don’t youre toast
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Sicklepod - 07/20/19 02:22 AM

I’ve been hand pulling it the last three years. Of course my fields aren’t but half acre and very little regeneration every year.
Posted By: Auburn_03

Re: Sicklepod - 07/20/19 02:47 AM

If you have xtend soybeans you could spray with s Engenia.

Re: Sicklepod - 07/20/19 02:49 AM

Or Xtendimax. Yes.

Re: Sicklepod - 07/20/19 03:09 AM

Glyphosate did not touch it.the corn and beans are rr ready. do you mix python with gly?it has not seeded out yet which is why I was going to mow and till under. Good to hear about Extend beans at least I can do something about it next year. This is 6 ac so hand pulling is out except in areas it is scattered

Re: Sicklepod - 07/20/19 03:11 AM

Python needs to be put down behind the planter as a pre.

Re: Sicklepod - 07/20/19 03:14 AM

Well at $600 for the python I think I will have to find another alternative

Re: Sicklepod - 07/20/19 03:20 AM

Anybody know if it will resprout if bushogged low.

Re: Sicklepod - 07/20/19 03:24 AM

Yes it will. I get python for $450 a 2.5# jug. You just assume it’s expensive but you gotta consider its used at a low rate. That jug will last you a long time and fix your problem which is what you asked for anyway. Classic at 3/4 oz per acre with gly over beans will do it too. Just gotta be timely and early at first trifoliate

Re: Sicklepod - 07/20/19 03:27 AM

Use the 1.25oz/Ac rate of python. I’m telling you it’s worth doing.
Posted By: toothdoc

Re: Sicklepod - 07/20/19 12:59 PM

Will deer eat it? It’s supposedly high in protein.

Re: Sicklepod - 07/20/19 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by toothdoc
Will deer eat it? It’s supposedly high in protein.

I haven’t seen anything touch it.
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Sicklepod - 07/20/19 08:40 PM

Have you ever smelled sicklepod when it's cut? Just a hair behind coffee weed in how bad it stinks, ain't nothing gonna eat that.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Sicklepod - 07/20/19 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by dirkdaddy
Have you ever smelled sicklepod when it's cut? Just a hair behind coffee weed in how bad it stinks, ain't nothing gonna eat that.

I always thought they were one in the same

Re: Sicklepod - 07/20/19 10:50 PM

No. Very different weeds. Coffee weeds are called coffee senna.

Re: Sicklepod - 07/20/19 10:52 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stickers

Re: Sicklepod - 07/21/19 12:27 AM

We have the coffee weed.... dormant until you break the soil from my experience. nothing eats it. Noxious weed....can't control it.

Re: Sicklepod - 07/21/19 01:34 AM

I always heard they were the same also.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Sicklepod - 07/21/19 03:57 AM

I thought they were the same as well, everyone I know always called sickle pod, coffee weed.

Now I know that weed at the farm I can't seem to kill, it's coffee senna AKA coffee weed.

Re: Sicklepod - 07/21/19 04:26 AM

And knowing is half the battle!
Posted By: slayinbucks24/7

Re: Sicklepod - 07/21/19 12:41 PM

I'll give you the advice that aldeer gave me a couple years ago when I had a problem with it... napalm it.. after doing some research on it,I'm pretty sure i read that the seeds can stay dormant in the seed bed for 100 years and still come up.. it's bad stuff for sure and nothing eats it. Good luck with it man
Posted By: ALFisher

Re: Sicklepod - 07/22/19 03:46 PM

Is there anything that kills it other than python? there's nothing planted in my fields that have it right now, and I'd just like to get rid of it, and amy not worried about killing whatever is around it. I'd like something that doesn't have any lingering soil effects as plan to plant it this fall.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Sicklepod - 07/22/19 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by ALFisher
Is there anything that kills it other than python? there's nothing planted in my fields that have it right now, and I'd just like to get rid of it, and amy not worried about killing whatever is around it. I'd like something that doesn't have any lingering soil effects as plan to plant it this fall.

Probably won't help your situation, but Milestone does a great job of controlling it in chufas. I don't know what you want to grow, so it may not be a herbicide that you can use. I used a bean herbicide years ago that also eradicated the sicklepod, but it damaged the chufas and I quit using it. Can't remember the name of it right now.

But once you have made a crop of sicklepod in a field, there is no getting rid of it. You have got to either grow a warm season crop and use herbicides, or grow nothing but winter crops. I cleared a field in 2006 that had been in pine trees since the 50s and that first summer it grew a solid stand of sicklepod. The seed had to have lasted for decades in the ground; no other way it could have gotten there. Same field is solid sicklepod now and it will be when I'm dead and gone. Just put some on my grave and say that it won.
Posted By: hitek

Re: Sicklepod - 07/22/19 04:21 PM

Your sicklepod battle sounds like my Johnson grass battle... If William Johnson was not already 6 feet under I would probably shoot him myself.
Posted By: BamaPlowboy

Re: Sicklepod - 07/22/19 05:44 PM

Try some generic metribuzin as Pre in your beans next time

Re: Sicklepod - 07/22/19 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by BamaPlowboy
Try some generic metribuzin as Pre in your beans next time

50/50 at best
Posted By: Strictlybow

Re: Sicklepod - 07/23/19 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
Use the 1.25oz/Ac rate of python. I’m telling you it’s worth doing.

The field I’m having trouble with is planted in Alyceclover and Jointvetch which I spray with Butyrac and Cleth. I mowed since it was much taller but it is sprouting back from the stumps.

Can I use Python as a preemergent for these 2? Or best to plow, spray gly, then plant.
Posted By: ALFisher

Re: Sicklepod - 07/23/19 06:58 PM

If I can't spray it right (no sprayer), should I bushhog it? I'm likely picking up a sprayer next month or at least will be in a position to borrow one. I could at least cut it before it seeds.
Posted By: muzziehead

Re: Sicklepod - 07/24/19 04:24 PM

I would really be shocked if Crossbow didn't kill this weed. I have seen Crossbow kill small trees.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Sicklepod - 07/24/19 04:52 PM

The problem with sicklepod is it doesn't show up until June and most of the time your field is already planted. I thought gly killed it years ago, when I sprayed. I spent an afternoon hand pulling about a quarter acre of it and it was gone for a long time, but I stopped disking the field.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Sicklepod - 07/27/19 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by ALFisher
If I can't spray it right (no sprayer), should I bushhog it? I'm likely picking up a sprayer next month or at least will be in a position to borrow one. I could at least cut it before it seeds.

I think it would be a good idea to mow it and keep it from making seed, but I don't think you will get rid of the seed bank. It shouldn't be a problem in a winter crop; cold weather kills it.

I have raised the bush hog and given the sicklepod a haircut before to keep it from shading out chufas. It will close the canopy over them and you won't make anything if that happens.
Posted By: Wade

Re: Sicklepod - 08/07/19 06:05 PM

Dang. Learned something new on Aldeer today. I have always called sicklepod and coffee weed the same thing. BUT, I was calling Coffee Senna as crotoleria. Looks like I was wrong on that one. Thanks 257.

I have one field full of sicklepod. Never had any problem killing the current crop with glyphosphate. My problem was having a new crop regenerate after spraying the current stuff. I found out by accident (forgetting to turn off the sprayer on a wide turn around) that 2,4 D will kill sicklepod. Again, a new crop will start as soon as it gets sunlight on the ground.

I'm getting ready to sprig about 4 acres of zoysia over a bad sicklepod field. Frequent herbicides and mowing will keep the SP at bay I hope.

Re: Sicklepod - 08/08/19 01:47 AM

Aw yea. Keeping SP outta zoysia is easy.
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Sicklepod - 08/09/19 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by hitek
Your sicklepod battle sounds like my Johnson grass battle... If William Johnson was not already 6 feet under I would probably shoot him myself.

I'll go you one better, actually worse. I've got a six acre plot that has some of the best soil in southern Alabama. It's a rich black clay loam that will grow anything, the ph is 6.7. It has sickle pod and Johnson grass. In the past, we've grown corn, soybeans, Milo, sunflowers, peas, etc. This year sprayed prowl h2o pre-emergent. The prowl didn't help much at all. We planted ic peas, sunflowers corn and Milo. All grew well along with the johnson grass, sickle pod, pigweed, morning glory, etc.
Deer are using the hell out of it, wiped out sunflowers, worked over the peas but they are hanging in, even browsing the pigweed. It's getting so thick the weeds are sheltering the peas, corn is 5-6' tall.
Too good dirt not to plant but we need to figure out how to deal with the johnson grass and sickle pod

Re: Sicklepod - 08/09/19 01:08 AM

You gonna have to segregate acres by crop. There are recipes for JG and SP I could give you per crop.
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Sicklepod - 08/09/19 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
You gonna have to segregate acres by crop. There are recipes for JG and SP I could give you per crop.

Thanks, I'll seek help before spring. Were going to plant perennial clover in part of it and want to try alfalfa in some, upper part of field is 7+ ph. I've been food plotting for almost 30 years and I've never had soil like this to work with. Mixing plantings definitely causes weed control problems

Re: Sicklepod - 08/09/19 01:25 PM

It sure does.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM