Aldeer.com

Do you mow your perrenial clover?

Posted By: blumsden

Do you mow your perrenial clover? - 07/18/19 11:53 AM

FYI. A new study done by Bonner Powell at the university of Tennessee, says that mowing perennials doesn't improve protein, nutrient content or digestibility. It simply reduced biomass available to deer. It does help with reducing problematic broadleaf weeds, however. I often wondered why people mowed down perfectly good stands of white clover. IMO, either don't worry about the broadleaf weeds, or spray them with 2,4,d,b. I have great success using gly on established clover stands at a 2ozs/gal rate. I like to do this in May. The clover is not stressed at this point and the broadleafs are emerging. If you have a grass problem, I would spray early April. This technique is used on fall planted clover, not clover planted that spring. It needs to be an establish clover stand.
Posted By: ALFisher

Re: Do you mow your perrenial clover? - 07/18/19 07:24 PM

thanks for the info.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Do you mow your perrenial clover? - 07/18/19 08:31 PM

Ive got 3acres of crimson clover I planted 4years ago. I mow it twice a year. Once when the weeds start getting tall in it in spring after it seeds out but before the weeds seed out then again about the time deer season starts.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Do you mow your perrenial clover? - 07/20/19 01:45 AM

I’ve got a a fine a stand of crimson right now as a man could ask for. I mowed and drilled soybeans into it and clover has flat taken over.
Posted By: BradB

Re: Do you mow your perrenial clover? - 07/20/19 03:27 AM

I will be mowing about 1 1/2 acre tommorrow but just for broadleaf control. I actually have pretty good stands of both White Clovers and plot clovers with a mix of just about everything. It looks like it’s the Medium Red that is still cranking. When I got here yesterday I was amazed hey are still doing pretty well this late in the year
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Do you mow your perrenial clover? - 07/20/19 06:21 PM

IMO the primary gain of mowing clover down is that deer prefer tender new growth. I’ve mowed strips thru clover patches and you can watch the deer walk thru the unmowed strips to feed on the areas that have been mowed.
Posted By: NSDQ160

Re: Do you mow your perrenial clover? - 08/07/19 07:13 PM

With this new baiting deal going I was going to just plant clover in all my fields and rig up nice bait stations and put cheap peanuts/soybeans (whatever is cheaper) in the over the summer months and corn in the winter.

How many years do ya'll get out of your clover fields? and do ya'll see any benefit/problem in going the route i'm going with feeders/clover? Thanks.
Posted By: mw2015

Re: Do you mow your perrenial clover? - 08/07/19 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by blumsden
FYI. A new study done by Bonner Powell at the university of Tennessee, says that mowing perennials doesn't improve protein, nutrient content or digestibility. It simply reduced biomass available to deer. It does help with reducing problematic broadleaf weeds, however. I often wondered why people mowed down perfectly good stands of white clover. IMO, either don't worry about the broadleaf weeds, or spray them with 2,4,d,b. I have great success using gly on established clover stands at a 2ozs/gal rate. I like to do this in May. The clover is not stressed at this point and the broadleafs are emerging. If you have a grass problem, I would spray early April. This technique is used on fall planted clover, not clover planted that spring. It needs to be an establish clover stand.

I mow clover several times per manufacturer recommendation to improve stolon growth and induce growth of daughter plants. Works for me. thumbup
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Do you mow your perrenial clover? - 08/08/19 12:31 AM

While cutting plots may not protein, the new growth is more attractive and palatable for deer. In the fall often food plots grow too much due to browse and acorns. The grass gets tall and tough. Cutting can stimulate the plot usage.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM