Aldeer.com

Controlled burn question

Posted By: CAL

Controlled burn question - 07/01/19 02:36 AM

Is it too late to doa controlled burn? I have some property I recently purchased and it needs burning. Wait until next spring or wait for the right conditions and burn now? Thanks
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Controlled burn question - 07/01/19 02:37 AM

Better check the overall burn bans the state puts on during these months first.
Posted By: CAL

Re: Controlled burn question - 07/01/19 02:44 AM

Assuming there’s not a burn ban, what conditions would you want to burn. Humidity level?
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Controlled burn question - 07/01/19 12:38 PM

I would start with calling your county forester and let him offer local advice. He should have a list of certified burners in your county. Just in my opinion, I wouldn't touch a match to the woods this time of year and I would hesitate to burn at most time of the year.
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Controlled burn question - 07/01/19 12:42 PM

Somebody did a burn off of 331 a week or two ago in some big pines that are thick with sweetgums. It looks like it was a really good burn, and the gums are all torched.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Controlled burn question - 07/01/19 01:44 PM

It makes you scratch your head, hardwood pulp prices are better than pine and sweetgum logs are bringing a good price.
Posted By: Mully

Re: Controlled burn question - 07/01/19 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by crenshawco
Somebody did a burn off of 331 a week or two ago in some big pines that are thick with sweetgums. It looks like it was a really good burn, and the gums are all torched.

I believe Gobblers crew did that for Jerry Kyser.
Posted By: Mully

Re: Controlled burn question - 07/01/19 01:59 PM

Assuming no bans go out for Montgomery county this week we plan to burn about 120ac of 30yr old pines that have a heavy gum presence on Wednesday. Hoping it will really help the turkey next spring on this particular spot.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Controlled burn question - 07/01/19 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
It makes you scratch your head, hardwood pulp prices are better than pine and sweetgum logs are bringing a good price.

It is pretty interesting.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Controlled burn question - 07/01/19 08:08 PM

I would assume most burns are done for wildlife purposes. If it was strictly for timber value wouldnt spraying be better
Posted By: sanderson

Re: Controlled burn question - 07/03/19 08:26 PM

Depending on your objectives and the stand it is technically never to late. You can burn the right tract anytime of the year.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Controlled burn question - 07/04/19 11:46 AM

Just do what I do. Park your truck in some dry sage, walk about 1/2 mile and notice the smoke.
Then panic and run to frantically save your truck, damn near have a heat stroke trying to fight the fire on your own, then dial 911.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Controlled burn question - 07/04/19 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Out back
Just do what I do. Park your truck in some dry sage, walk about 1/2 mile and notice the smoke.
Then panic and run to frantically save your truck, damn near have a heat stroke trying to fight the fire on your own, then dial 911.

Good plan.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Controlled burn question - 07/04/19 01:54 PM

I know it's not funny, but I couldn't help but chuckle when I read this.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Controlled burn question - 07/05/19 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by N2TRKYS

I know it's not funny, but I couldn't help but chuckle when I read this.

Yeah it's funny now.
Not so much, that day.
Posted By: gobbler

Re: Controlled burn question - 09/03/19 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by crenshawco

Yea, we did that burn on 6/14, about 300 acres. Did great, we need a sign on 331 grin

Originally Posted by Mully
I believe Gobblers crew did that for Jerry Kyser.

I use the term "we" loosely above and "crew" would be WAY off the mark!!. I did it myself laugh

Originally Posted by jlbuc10

I would assume most burns are done for wildlife purposes. If it was strictly for timber value wouldnt spraying be better

True dat. The gums we are killing are hurting our wildlife habitat and are a severe competition for the pine stand that exist on site. Spraying would work but not be as wildlife beneficial. The combo would be best. If you want to grow hardwood pulp, gums are great but should be grown in a stand by themselves. You cannot grow 2 crops of trees on the same acres (in general), certainly not two different species in 2 different ages. You can also not convince folks of that fact.

Posted By: gobbler

Re: Controlled burn question - 09/09/19 02:58 PM

Posted By: NightHunter

Re: Controlled burn question - 09/10/19 03:46 AM

Come on Ted, you just taught us burners that having adequate support is best🤣

It is amazing how much burning can be done in one day with proper equipment and and good fire lanes. Can be really fun once you start adding bonus acres.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM