Aldeer.com

Cover crop

Posted By: countryphysician

Cover crop - 02/22/19 05:31 PM

I plan on planting imperial whitetail clover this fall. I have heard you need a cover crop the first year (maybe 2?) until the imperial establishes well. What cover crop would you go with: Crimson clover, wheat, oats, other?
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Cover crop - 02/22/19 07:46 PM

I would use cereal rye at about 75-100lbs/acre. I've planted imperial whitetail clover and its some good stuff, but I've found that if I plant my regular fall mix and mix in durana that it does extremely well. Imperial clover is high dollar stuff. Once established, you can top sew cereal rye and brassica's into it the following fall.
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: Cover crop - 02/27/19 01:09 AM

I’m assuming we’re talking abouse a nurse crop...

Like blumsden said, cereal rye is good. I tend to like triticale for a nurse crop in clover too. Seems to be a little shorter when it matures. Doubt there’s a measurable gain/loss there though. Just me being me.
Posted By: JohnG

Re: Cover crop - 02/27/19 12:19 PM

Kill the plot as soon as you can before it goes to seed if there is any wild rye grass, that stuff will suppress the heck out of clover.
Posted By: ALFisher

Re: Cover crop - 02/27/19 10:08 PM

To me, rye gets too high and the deer don't eat it as well, thereby leaving you with a lot of competition for your clover come spring. I'd go with wheat or triticale.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Cover crop - 02/27/19 11:16 PM

How about iron clay peas or lab lab?
© 2024 ALDEER.COM