Aldeer.com

What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee

Posted By: muddy_buckz

What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 02/12/19 03:59 PM

?
Posted By: Jlu509

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 02/12/19 04:02 PM

Small yellow ones that cost about $7 a bag.

I wish I had the time/money to really feed them the good stuff.
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 02/12/19 08:55 PM

I have been feeding my local CO-OP brand 16% deer protein pellets to the deer on my personal property for the last two years. I feed it year around out of a 350# boss buck feeder and they eat 350# every two weeks. I feed 6 bags protein and mix one shelled corn in with the protein. I pay $9 bag for the protein I use. I also have 2 acres of clover/chicory planted I maintain year around.
Posted By: mike35549

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 02/13/19 02:15 AM

Be expensive to fill 5-6 of those who very two weeks.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 02/13/19 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by mike35549
Be expensive to fill 5-6 of those who very two weeks.

Yep. I'm too cheap for that. Besides, I'd rather plant something and watch it grow.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 02/13/19 04:21 AM

Squeaky, check your PM.
Posted By: Willyb

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 02/13/19 05:07 AM

I plant 20-25 acres of beans, 12-15 acres of corn, have 8 acres of ladino year round, run 6 feeders with buck booster pellets
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 02/13/19 05:16 AM

Y’all need to call hillsboro feed. Roasted soybeans $10.50 per 50# unit bulk. Cottonseed $220 per ton bulk. Corn also.

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 02/13/19 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Willyb
I plant 20-25 acres of beans, 12-15 acres of corn, have 8 acres of ladino year round, run 6 feeders with buck booster pellets

Wish I had fields to be able to do that on my property.
Posted By: muddy_buckz

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 02/13/19 01:52 PM

Have any of y'all ever I fed Alfalfa pellets in with other feeds?
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 02/13/19 01:58 PM

Buck Booster and Antler Max are good feeds.
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 02/13/19 02:38 PM

For those that feed protein what are your thoughts on using a feed with a small percentage of selenium? I had a deer farmer in Kentucky tell me it was a very important ingredient in his deer feed for producing mass. I have been reading up on the benefits and the use of probiotics in deer feed. A lot of information out there on the subject. A lot of your higher priced protein pellets contain selenium. The one I am currently feeding does not.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 02/13/19 03:27 PM

Copper is another micro that deer can use in small quantities. Some feed mills add that

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 02/13/19 03:46 PM

Squeaky, I'd be very careful with the amount of selenium you add to deer feed, esp free choice where you cannot control the amount that a particular deer ingests. Selenium in too high does can be fatal to deer.
Posted By: Willyb

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 02/14/19 06:08 AM

The buckbooster pellets are supposed to have an option this year of purchasing with trace minerals and probiotics
Posted By: Stickers

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 02/15/19 02:37 AM

co -op brand.
Posted By: DonH

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 02/15/19 11:09 AM

Most of the protein pellets on the market are only 65 percent digestible . a natural food base as a black eyed pea is over 85 percent digestible and over 20 percent protein as im told deer can only process up to 18 percent protein...theres a few clubs around buying bulk peanuts and feeding year round with great results . peanuts are high in protein and a high fat content . mix the two peas and peanuts and you have a mix that alabama deer know exactly what it is and eat the crap out of it....add a few good mineral sites around the property and your done......oh peanuts bulk rate was .08 cents a pound....and blackeyed peas are 15.75 for 50 pounds...

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 02/15/19 12:44 PM

deer eating 20% protein feed AND natural browse will not exceed 15-16% protein ingested. If you had a deer in a pen with no other feed and fed it 20% it would not be good for the deer..too hot a feed.

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 02/15/19 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
deer eating 20% protein feed AND natural browse will not exceed 15-16% protein ingested. If you had a deer in a pen with no other feed and fed it 20% it would not be good for the deer..too hot a feed.

THIS^^^^

Exactly what I have heard/ read as well about what % of protein a deer can utilize in their diet.... the rest goes out on the ground.
And I think I also read that until their bone structure and body is mature, you ain't changing the antlers on a 3.5 or 4.5 year old deer a whole lot with protein pellets..

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 02/15/19 09:29 PM

yes anything more than 18 percent is just passed thru the animal and deposited on the ground..so as long as your feed has at least that much or more in it they can absorb the max there body will allow..has anyone on here tried to add a dewormer to there mix . I would think if you could deworm them they would put on quite a few pounds in body weight. any thoughts on that.

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 02/15/19 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by DonH
Most of the protein pellets on the market are only 65 percent digestible . a natural food base as a black eyed pea is over 85 percent digestible and over 20 percent protein as im told deer can only process up to 18 percent protein...theres a few clubs around buying bulk peanuts and feeding year round with great results . peanuts are high in protein and a high fat content . mix the two peas and peanuts and you have a mix that alabama deer know exactly what it is and eat the crap out of it....add a few good mineral sites around the property and your done......oh peanuts bulk rate was .08 cents a pound....and blackeyed peas are 15.75 for 50 pounds...

Where did you get peanuts for .08 a pound $160 a ton that is cheap feed.

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 02/18/19 11:13 AM

At a peanut processing plant in Georgia. that's the price I was quoted.

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 02/18/19 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by DonH
At a peanut processing plant in Georgia. that's the price I was quoted.

That was for peanuts not peanut hulls?

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 02/20/19 11:20 AM

yes whole peanuts. he called them seconds .

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 02/21/19 02:08 AM

Wish I could find a place in North Central Alabama that had those. But not many peanuts up here.
Posted By: bamahunt

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 04/10/19 07:05 PM

Is anyone feeding 20% Dairy Pellets? They seem to have comparable stats to Antlermax and were recommended by a Co-op. They are also cheaper than deer targeted protein pellet supplements.
Posted By: Strictlybow

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 04/11/19 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by bamahunt
Is anyone feeding 20% Dairy Pellets? They seem to have comparable stats to Antlermax and were recommended by a Co-op. They are also cheaper than deer targeted protein pellet supplements.

My buddy does. Large pellets. They love them.

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 05/16/19 12:32 AM

We substituted some cattle pellets in one feeder- noticed no real difference in consumption vs "deer " pellets. it is a pellet, it is protein . I think I read deer only require 12 to 14% protein for daily maintenance. Do overpay for something they cannot absorb.

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 05/16/19 12:58 AM

pregnant does and bucks need 16% for optimum growth.

you can feed Safeguard pellets free choice to deer without fear of harming them if one eats too much. I'd mix it with the feed, then repeat in a week.
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 06/22/19 04:04 AM

Good info guys. I have been trying to learn what is best to feed. If you were going to Tractir supply what would you buy? I bought a few banks 360 lb feeders and wanted to give it a go.
Posted By: Narrow Gap

Re: What protein pellets is everyone feeding their dee - 06/22/19 09:19 AM

Going this morning to pick up 2500 lbs of Roasted soybeans to start feeding the deer.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM