Aldeer.com

Liming

Posted By: lefthorn

Liming - 02/06/19 02:12 PM

Ok, talk to me about liming. We have to lime our fields(22 of them butbthey are small. Only about 7 acres of fields). Want to put 1 or 2 tons to the acre so I need 7-14 tons. Will the co-op bring the spreader truck and go to all the fields or should I get the buggy? How big a truck you need to pull buggy to property? Once there, we got a tractor that can pull the buggy around. How do you know when you have spread 1 ton??
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Liming - 02/06/19 03:00 PM

I would pay the extra and get them to spread it with the spreader truck. By the time you pull the buggy to the field, then have to hook up to the tractor, spread, and then have to hook back up to the truck and haul it back to the Co-Op you aren't going to save anything. Don't let the spreader truck or buggy go down hill in a plot unless the soil is firm, when they get stuck you have a problem.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Liming - 02/06/19 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
I would pay the extra and get them to spread it with the spreader truck. By the time you pull the buggy to the field, then have to hook up to the tractor, spread, and then have to hook back up to the truck and haul it back to the Co-Op you aren't going to save anything. Don't let the spreader truck or buggy go down hill in a plot unless the soil is firm, when they get stuck you have a problem.

I agree. Let them do it.
Posted By: Turkey

Re: Liming - 02/06/19 04:43 PM

It also depends on the Co-Op. I asked the Talladega Co-Op about this a couple of years ago. They would no longer spread lime or fertilizer on food plots. They said it took to much time to go from plot-to-plot and they were damaging their truck from the condition of hunting club roads. I never asked if they would rent or loan a buggy.
Posted By: CRUTCHJD76

Re: Liming - 02/06/19 05:17 PM

Most Co-op's don't spread on foodplots because of what has been mentioned above. Also with the size plots your referring to if they would come out, the plots would be way to small for a spreader truck and they'd endup throwing half the lime in the woods.. as far as a buggy, somebody at the co-op will show you how to set it for wanted tons spread per acre
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Liming - 02/06/19 07:24 PM

Our Co-op will spread plots. They don't have a buggy that will spread lime unless they've got one last couple years . All buggies are not created equal. Get a spreader truck and be done with it.
Posted By: olemossy

Re: Liming - 02/07/19 02:52 AM

Had a local company come out last year bought 12 tons from them and they spread it with a spreader truck. Best money we have spent for sure.
Posted By: countryphysician

Re: Liming - 02/07/19 02:58 AM

What kind of costs were you looking at for them to spread it for you?

Re: Liming - 02/07/19 03:12 AM

I paid $70 ton spread. total.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Liming - 02/07/19 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by olemossy

You got royally F’ed

Re: Liming - 02/07/19 04:14 AM

Do you have someone you recommend in N bama for lime spreading 257wbymag?

Re: Liming - 02/07/19 04:21 AM

What county? How much lime to be spread?

Re: Liming - 02/07/19 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag

You got royally F’ed

Damn. I hate that, i didnt even enjoy it.
Posted By: ALFisher

Re: Liming - 02/07/19 02:59 PM

How do you say he got screwed by paying $70 a ton for the lime and the spreading? That sounds like a good price to me. And if someone wants to come spread spread lime at my place for that price, I will gladly pay you. Please educate me as to how he is getting screwed.

Where I am, 4 tons of lime and renting buggy to go with it will cost you about $250. Then, you have to pick up the buggy, take it to your place, pull it with your tractor, or if your tractor isn't big enough, with a truck (talk about rough on a truck), and then take the buggy back. You would have to do this three times to spread 12 tons. Granted, it would get cheaper because you don't have to pay the buggy rental price two more times, but still, I think you get my point.

Re: Liming - 02/07/19 03:02 PM

shocked

Re: Liming - 02/07/19 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by ALFisher
How do you say he got screwed by paying $70 a ton for the lime and the spreading? That sounds like a good price to me. And if someone wants to come spread spread lime at my place for that price, I will gladly pay you. Please educate me as to how he is getting screwed.

Where I am, 4 tons of lime and renting buggy to go with it will cost you about $250. Then, you have to pick up the buggy, take it to your place, pull it with your tractor, or if your tractor isn't big enough, with a truck (talk about rough on a truck), and then take the buggy back. You would have to do this three times to spread 12 tons. Granted, it would get cheaper because you don't have to pay the buggy rental price two more times, but still, I think you get my point.

If you are in the valley in Jackson Co it'll be bout 1/2 that price. If you are bout 5 miles from the co-op even less. wink smile I guess there is no limestone close to y'all . It's not hard to find up here.
Posted By: BradB

Re: Liming - 02/07/19 03:08 PM

My last was $40/ton spread and $30/ton dropped off in se bama. That said I would pay $70/ton in a flash if I could get them to spread n my plots but they won't.Last time I limed I hand shoveled 10 tons a ton at a time on a trailer behind my Ranger and blew it off with a backpack blower.I have a larger tractor with a front end loader now so I will be getting a buggy next time
Posted By: Dead down wind

Re: Liming - 02/07/19 04:53 PM

Our problem is getting buggy into our plots might not ever get it out with all the rain we have had so it looks like we'll be using bag lime

Re: Liming - 02/07/19 05:00 PM

Colbert county, ~4 tons

Re: Liming - 02/07/19 05:38 PM

Aw man if it’s accesible and in Colbert co you outta be able to get a buggy and spread for $30/ton or maybe less. Problem is the quantity. Most loads are 25 tons but call Leighton Coop see if they have a lime bin right now that’s dry. We spread lime but that’s a bit below our minimum or I’d gladly help
Posted By: Dean

Re: Liming - 02/07/19 06:23 PM

CPS in Jay FL just quoted me a price of 60 dollars a ton with a buggy.

Re: Liming - 02/08/19 02:48 AM

I’m gonna do my soil tests after this weekend when the season ends to see how much lime I’m actually gonna need

Re: Liming - 02/08/19 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Dean

That’s not even economical in the real world. Tell Justin he’s too high.

Re: Liming - 02/08/19 04:51 PM

Ok, well this property is in Tuscaloosa county if that helps anymore with specifics
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: Liming - 02/08/19 06:11 PM

Glad I dont need to ever spread any lime. Must be to the exposed lime rock all over our place. My ph ranges from 6.6 to 7.9

Not a lot will grow in the 7.9 plots... Berseem clover and sunflowers do well there.But not much else.

Re: Liming - 02/08/19 07:50 PM

Called the co op. They will spread it for $54/ton

Re: Liming - 02/09/19 03:39 PM

Well now since i feel like a dumb arse..... I will call the co-op this summer and see if they can beat the price, or if they even have spread trucks. We will see i guess
Posted By: centralala

Re: Liming - 02/09/19 04:13 PM

The problem is cost of freight to get the lime to wherever you are and the spreaders have been screwed by hunters in the past on food plots. Small plots they can't turn around in, bad access, stumps, getting stuck, etc. The last I had spread on plots was $40/ton the best I remember. I got a little better price because they had done mine before and knew their wasn't an issue they would have to deal with...at least that is what they told me.

Re: Liming - 02/09/19 04:38 PM

I try to do folks fair no matter the job. If I suspect it’s plots or any pasture work I’ll go look to make sure we can get in with no issues.

Re: Liming - 02/09/19 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by centralala
The problem is cost of freight to get the lime to wherever you are and the spreaders have been screwed by hunters in the past on food plots. Small plots they can't turn around in, bad access, stumps, getting stuck, etc. The last I had spread on plots was $40/ton the best I remember. I got a little better price because they had done mine before and knew their wasn't an issue they would have to deal with...at least that is what they told me.

The big price driver is trucking, but the trucking to get the lime to the co op if there isn't any limestone close. NA is fortunate in that respect no shortage of limestone quarries. I suspect having to truck it from long distance in LA is what gets those guys. The quarry our co op gets lime from now is about 5 miles from them.
Posted By: Ant67

Re: Liming - 02/11/19 04:16 PM

Anybody know of someone that spreads in Bibb county?
Posted By: hallb

Re: Liming - 02/11/19 10:01 PM

Pike County co-op is $60 ton for them to spread it on food plots, $45 for ag fields, $40 in a tag along and $38 you pick up yourself. So you definitely pay a premium to have them spread it on your food plots b/c of the wear on their trucks and the time it takes - more so than just a big ag field.

How many tons can you get in a tag along? This will be my first year coming up where I am the one having to deal with it all, I was just going to pay the $60 and have them do it, but may save a few bucks and do the tag along depending on how many trips I'd have to make back and forth to the co-op. I figure I am going to need minimum of 10 tons.

Also - do you all disk and then lime or lime and then disk?

Re: Liming - 02/11/19 11:14 PM

Lime and do nothing until time to plant in the fall.
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Liming - 02/12/19 12:31 AM

A buggy will only hold about 4 to 4 1/2 tons
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Liming - 02/12/19 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by ronfromramer
A buggy will only hold about 4 to 4 1/2 tons

That's a tag along buggy?

Re: Liming - 02/12/19 02:39 AM

Depends on the grade lime what a buggy will hold.

Re: Liming - 02/22/19 05:04 PM

Colbert country coop (the one in Tuscumbia) just agreed to spread it with their truck for me for $30/ton

Re: Liming - 02/22/19 06:04 PM

Good deal. I hope it’s got floaters on rofl

Re: Liming - 02/22/19 06:25 PM

Haha they are gonna call me back once it dries out some to set a date
Posted By: dagwood

Re: Liming - 03/04/19 05:51 PM

We spread it ourselves. Our club is only 3 miles from the elevator so we can make several trips without it being too bad. They have loaner buggies if you buy from them and you set the gate at the desired rate. They buggy itself weighs about 2500 lbs so we usually put about 2.5 tons per load which is 7500 lbs. Just need to make sure your truck is rated for more than that. As mentioned before, DO NOT get it stuck.
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: Liming - 03/07/19 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
Originally Posted by Dean

That’s not even economical in the real world. Tell Justin he’s too high.

Jay, FL ain't exactly in the real world, though. Different universe right there.
Posted By: Mowens

Re: Liming - 04/07/19 11:27 PM

So the co-op said it was to far. I got agr-afi to quote me 75 dollars delivered not spread to semmes.
Posted By: BullMountain

Re: Liming - 04/15/19 04:08 PM

Anybody have any information on liming options around Verbena / Wetumpka area?

Re: Liming - 04/17/19 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mowens
So the co-op said it was to far. I got agr-afi to quote me 75 dollars delivered not spread to semmes.

That seems cost-prohibitive. I'd skip it for that price.
Posted By: Chancetribe

Re: Liming - 04/17/19 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by BullMountain

Maybe Verbena Farm Supply, if they are still open.

Jeremy
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Liming - 04/18/19 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Chancetribe
Originally Posted by BullMountain

Maybe Verbena Farm Supply, if they are still open.

Jeremy

They are but it’s changed names. Also wetumpka has a co-op
Posted By: booner

Re: Liming - 04/22/19 04:00 PM

I need someone or name of a coop that will spread lime outside of Greenville. Any information will be appreciated. Local place in town will not spread.

Re: Liming - 04/22/19 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Remington270

It is fairly high but it's almost $200 cheaper than if I was going to buy the bags. And my pH is still out of whack hardly nothing grew last year.

If anybody's got a better price or option I'm all ears.

Re: Liming - 04/23/19 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Remington270

It is fairly high but it's almost $200 cheaper than if I was going to buy the bags. And my pH is still out of whack hardly nothing grew last year.

If anybody's got a better price or option I'm all ears.

Dump an extra 25% of fertilizer on your fields at planting time. My pH in Alabama is around 5.0 and we can grow corn and good food plots. A 50 lb sack of fertilizer is about $10. If the areas you plant are reasonably small, just fertilize more.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Liming - 04/23/19 03:27 AM

Get somebody with a dump truck to go get a load of lime and dump it in a central area and use a buggy and a front end loader to spread it yourself.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Liming - 04/23/19 12:02 PM

Where are ya'll finding the buggy's to spread lime? The co-op has one to spread fertilizer.

Re: Liming - 04/23/19 12:36 PM

I like the dump truck idea. But I would think unless you got a friend to do it the cost would be comparable to letting the Lime company come dump it.
Posted By: todd w

Re: Liming - 04/23/19 04:48 PM

I just called out local co-op, they have ag lime delivered and spread for around $35/ton. The buggy i also available for rent. I think it was around $7/ton for use.

Re: Liming - 04/29/19 12:32 PM

I wanted to share in case anybody looking. G&d Farms on Tanner Williams Road has lime for $58 on the ton and that includes the buggy. Best price I have found yet down here.

Re: Liming - 05/03/19 03:20 AM

Got ours done today

[Linked Image]
Posted By: centralala

Re: Liming - 05/03/19 04:45 PM

I have acquired a John Deere drop spreader. 10 ft. Plan to use on small plots. Anyone ever used one and if so, how well did it work?
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Liming - 05/03/19 11:10 PM

Drop spreaders and lime go together like peanut butter and jelly. A clean, flat field freshly drop spread is a purty sight. Just don't tear it up getting it to your plots.
Posted By: mdf

Re: Liming - 05/05/19 08:07 PM

Question I just had a torn labrum repaired and bone spur removed from my right shoulder. I did not get to apply lime
and it's going to be months before I can. Is there a quick method of any kind such as a so called liquid lime. I believe it takes 4
-6 months for it to start . And is there a better liquid lime or something than others.Or should I just put down fertilizer and hope for the best.

Re: Liming - 05/05/19 08:53 PM

Liquid lime=snake oil. If you can’t get pel lime or Ag lime out I’d for go for spring plantings as of now

Re: Liming - 05/05/19 09:08 PM

Wasn't sure can't get to plots with a buggy or a co- op type spreader. And I know I can't shovel it out of front end bucket or
even pick up a bag for awhile . These are some secluded spots that I can get my ranger to and just thought
may give the liquid stuff a shot.

Re: Liming - 05/05/19 09:45 PM

How big are the plots?

Re: Liming - 05/05/19 10:08 PM

1/4 -1/2 acre at most they are just small wooded spots. I could just skip planting them this spring and when my shoulder
heals go in and lime for the fall.

Re: Liming - 05/05/19 10:35 PM

You’re welcome to come get my pull behind ranger spreader and put out pel lime. Wouldn’t take too much to do that

Re: Liming - 05/05/19 10:59 PM

I just remembered after you said that, a buddy and I bought a spreader that hooks behind my ranger, I'm just not thinking
Straight just yet. They gave me a good nerve block and I believe it still has my head kinda fuzzy. Man thanks for the offer I appreciate it.

Re: Liming - 05/05/19 11:18 PM

10-4
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: Liming - 05/07/19 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by mdf
Question I just had a torn labrum repaired and bone spur removed from my right shoulder. I did not get to apply lime
and it's going to be months before I can. Is there a quick method of any kind such as a so called liquid lime. I believe it takes 4
-6 months for it to start . And is there a better liquid lime or something than others.Or should I just put down fertilizer and hope for the best.
Basic slag
© 2024 ALDEER.COM