Aldeer.com

Planting Durana in spring

Posted By: sumpter_al

Planting Durana in spring - 02/04/19 10:09 PM

I have always planted clovers in the fall but I have a place I want to put some durana. I read that it can be planted in late February. Has anyone else tried, and did it grow? I was going to mix it with oats (50# oats plus 5# durana per acre) and see how it does. This was a pasture that we did not renew the hay rights on so I was going to do 10 acres there.

Should I wait till fall or will it get established now? I am planning on getting my soil samples this weekend and wanted to get my ducks in a row.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Planting Durana in spring - 02/05/19 12:33 PM

IMO, in Alabama, its best to fall sew perennial clovers. Perennial clovers spend the first few months establishing their root system with limited top growth. Durana is very slow to establish. I like mixing in some patriot clover with it. Seldom do they have time to get their roots established before our hot dry summers put a strain on them. This year may be different though, with all the rain we are getting. I would get the soil amendments done and get a control on weeds during the summer and plant this fall. Durana is not cheap, so I would wait until I new it would succeed. Even the whitetail institute doesn't recommend planting their clover here in the spring. I've talked to them about it.
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: Planting Durana in spring - 02/05/19 12:39 PM

Your talking about frost seeding.. I do it up here in IN with great luck. But the ground is froze solid and might have a little snow on it. When the ground thaws the seed will work there way to the soil. Might be diff to try down there.
Posted By: BOFF

Re: Planting Durana in spring - 02/05/19 01:31 PM

Was thinking of planting the durana or patriot, first of march this year.

We have always planted the clovers (summer time plots) in fall, but didn't get to do so this past year.
Our clover plots are around 6-8 years old, and getting weeded out, and the deer took it to the nubs last summer.

I've never tried top sewing, but thought spraying with Round Up, waiting and top sewing, and then bush hogging would keep the underlying weed seeds from being turned up due to not discing. I was worried about the root system being established, with throw mow approach, and also being this time of year.

Will be an expensive trial by doing so.

God Bless,
David B.

Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Planting Durana in spring - 02/05/19 04:52 PM

I was wanting to try planting this as well this year just to see how it does.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Planting Durana in spring - 02/05/19 07:30 PM

Weed competition while getting established in spring will be your biggest hurdle
Posted By: SharpSpur

Re: Planting Durana in spring - 02/05/19 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
Weed competition while getting established in spring will be your biggest hurdle

In the first spring how would you recommend weed control. Should I just mow frequent or herbicide? I'm 5 months in, and have some clover growth with the cover crop knaw'd to the ground but the warm weather will shoot the grains up I'm sure. This one is easy to get to and close to the house so mowing is no problem. Will the herbicide(cleth at correct %) stress it enough to hurt it or slow it?
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Planting Durana in spring - 02/05/19 08:48 PM

Clethodim is just fine to spray grasses with. Broadleaves gonna be your issue. The chem needed to control those is rough on establishing young plants then
© 2024 ALDEER.COM