Aldeer.com

Food plots

Posted By: jaredhunts

Food plots - 02/02/19 05:22 PM

Most of my plots are looking very gruff right now. Some are just bare dirt from where the deer and cold hurt them. Rye, rapw and some radishes are the seeds I planted last November. Deer will still graze through but they just look rough. Anybody else have plots like this? May have to put nitrogen on them next year but some were mowed to the ground before Christmas.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Food plots - 02/02/19 05:48 PM

My plots aren't but a few miles from your area. I planted nothing but Coker oats this year, I meant to put some nitrogen on them in Dec, but never did. The other day they still looked good and the deer are hammering them every day. My grandson said there were 8 in one plot this morning. I havn't planted anything but oats for several years.

Re: Food plots - 02/02/19 06:01 PM

I dont have any luck with the deer coming to oats for some reason. The still come to the plots and feed but there isn't much left out there. They're not lush is what I'm saying. Cold was rough on them to.

Re: Food plots - 02/02/19 06:02 PM

Of course I haven't hunted a place with this many deer on it before either.
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Food plots - 02/02/19 07:29 PM

Plots need to be fertilized every 4 weeks or so for maximum growth. The excessive amount of rain we've had has also leached any useable fertilizer out of the fields, too. What your seeing is nor al. If they were moved to the ground before Christmas I'd go ahead and fertilize them again mid December next year.
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: Food plots - 02/03/19 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by dirkdaddy
Plots need to be fertilized every 4 weeks or so for maximum growth. The excessive amount of rain we've had has also leached any useable fertilizer out of the fields, too. What your seeing is nor al. If they were moved to the ground before Christmas I'd go ahead and fertilize them again mid December next year.

This and a lot of people don’t worry about what the food plots look like after the season but after the season is when the deer need nutrition the most to recover from the rut. I plant a lot of peoples hunting land and it makes me so mad when they say oh it cost to much to fertilize or we can’t afford to buy all of it. My thoughts is why even do anything if your gonna neglect everything you have done
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: Food plots - 02/04/19 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
My plots aren't but a few miles from your area. I planted nothing but Coker oats this year, I meant to put some nitrogen on them in Dec, but never did. The other day they still looked good and the deer are hammering them every day. My grandson said there were 8 in one plot this morning. I havn't planted anything but oats for several years.

What did those Coker oats cost you per bag?
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Food plots - 02/04/19 11:52 PM

I think they were about $16, not positive. Got them from the Troy Co-Op.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM