Aldeer.com

Another tree question

Posted By: !shiloh!

Another tree question - 01/14/19 01:07 AM

I have 2 openings in a creek bottom that's surrounded by 20 year old natural regrowth. mostly red oaks ,poplars ,river birtch and swamp chestnut oaks. The 2 openings are roughly 70'×180' .I've tried in vein to grow green feilds in them for 12 years so I've decided to just plant trees. one opening borders a creek and the soil is well drained. I've decided to plant it in fruit trees.
the other opening is where I have a question. It has fair soil but is poorly drained. The area floods a time or 2 a year when the creek floods and it will normally not have standing water in it in a weeks time after a flood. I'm guessing fruit trees are out of the question. would chestnut trees or saw tooth oaks be a better option or would they not survive because of the water ?
Posted By: k bush

Re: Another tree question - 01/14/19 02:27 AM

Probably too wet. Nuttal oaks are most likely the best choice. Burr oak might do OK, the ones Ive planted have been in heavier soil.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Another tree question - 01/14/19 04:14 AM

I would just put a couple of good feeders in there. Fruit trees are not a good investment IMHO.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Another tree question - 01/14/19 04:24 AM

Swamp chestnuts
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Another tree question - 01/14/19 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Turkey_neck
Swamp chestnuts

In 25 years you may have some acorns dropping.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Another tree question - 01/14/19 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
I would just put a couple of good feeders in there. Fruit trees are not a good investment IMHO.

I tend to agree. The maintenance on fruit trees is annoying. And you can't easily do prescribed fire with them on your property. It's a big hassle.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM