Aldeer.com

Tree ID resource

Posted By: AUwrestler

Tree ID resource - 11/26/18 02:41 PM

What is the best way to learn tree ID. I'm thinking to get a pocket book with pictures and descriptions so as I walk the woods I can look them up and learn. My goal is to know all trees in Alabama and be able to figure which ones are good for deer compared to timber income vs trash tree that need removal.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Tree ID resource - 11/26/18 03:06 PM

Here ya go .

https://www.amazon.com/Native-Trees...&hvtargid=pla-526333788236&psc=1
Posted By: trlrdrdave

Re: Tree ID resource - 11/26/18 03:16 PM

http://www.auburn.edu/academic/forestry_wildlife/dendrology/dendrology/index.html
Posted By: Chris4x4Gill2

Re: Tree ID resource - 11/26/18 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by AUwrestler
What is the best way to learn tree ID. I'm thinking to get a pocket book with pictures and descriptions so as I walk the woods I can look them up and learn. My goal is to know all trees in Alabama and be able to figure which ones are good for deer compared to timber income vs trash tree that need removal.

I just text a picture of any I don't recognize to Wayne.

You can learn a lot with the Audobon Field Guide. It has good pictures. There is a free phone app from Virginia Tech that is good as well.

Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Tree ID resource - 11/26/18 09:27 PM

Thanks, and I start using Wayne when I get at least a little better. Cause right now. I know hickory, white and red oak. Plus cedar. Have a feeling there are a fewore types in Jackson county.
Posted By: Chris4x4Gill2

Re: Tree ID resource - 11/27/18 01:27 PM

Maple is easy when they have leaves. Great hinge cut tree as the deer will browse the leaves pretty good. In spring its easy to see sassafras trees. I hate those things, but I always think the bark on a mature tree looks like an oak. In spring when they have the flowers its easy to tell without second guessing yourself. I cut all of those down that I can, but its still a losing battle.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Tree ID resource - 11/27/18 02:09 PM

A lot of trees are fairly easy, but some will drive you crazy, especially in the winter.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM