Aldeer.com

Switchgrass

Posted By: kntree

Switchgrass - 11/22/18 07:45 PM

Anyone in Macon county al have any luck with switchgrass for thickening food plot edges or general cover/erosion control?
Posted By: k bush

Re: Switchgrass - 11/23/18 12:43 PM

I looked into it. Slow process and your herbicide game better be on point.

Re: Switchgrass - 11/23/18 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by k bush
I looked into it. Slow process and your herbicide game better be on point.

Yeah I figured it was kinda slow, i'm just not too fond of the herbicide application part.

Re: Switchgrass - 11/23/18 01:21 PM

There are a lot of varieties too. Which one did you go with kbush?
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Switchgrass - 11/25/18 10:44 PM

Might want to also.look into Egyptian wheat or frigis forage makes a blend for screen cover.

Re: Switchgrass - 11/26/18 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by AUwrestler
Might want to also.look into Egyptian wheat or frigis forage makes a blend for screen cover.

I like egyptian wheat but was thinking of something perennial

Re: Switchgrass - 11/26/18 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by kntree
There are a lot of varieties too. Which one did you go with kbush?

I never pulled the trigger on it. I believe it was Cave-In-Rock that I was looking at establishing. University of Tenn. Extension had a .pdf book that I downloaded.

Re: Switchgrass - 11/26/18 09:58 PM

NWSG book This is the link to the book (192 pages)

Re: Switchgrass - 11/27/18 12:11 AM

Thanks kbush I'm about to pry into it
Posted By: CD

Re: Switchgrass - 11/29/18 01:57 PM

An old lease I had was enrolled in a program that called for the establishment of a certain amount of NWSG spread out in numerous areas. The landowner provided the seed, a mix or 3-4 different varieties, and I did the rest. Took a couple years to become fully established, but it created awesome cover. Those “tall- grass fields”, as my kids called them, became some of our favorite spots to hunt. We’d maintain a clover plot within the NWSG and the deer always seemed very comfortable because they were hidden. Try it!

Re: Switchgrass - 12/16/18 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by CD
An old lease I had was enrolled in a program that called for the establishment of a certain amount of NWSG spread out in numerous areas. The landowner provided the seed, a mix or 3-4 different varieties, and I did the rest. Took a couple years to become fully established, but it created awesome cover. Those “tall- grass fields”, as my kids called them, became some of our favorite spots to hunt. We’d maintain a clover plot within the NWSG and the deer always seemed very comfortable because they were hidden. Try it!

CD do you know what species were spread and what is the maintenance required to establish and maintain those stands of grass? I have some semi-shaded areas and a powerline that i'm interested in establishing with taller grasses.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM