Aldeer.com

Late planting

Posted By: buzzard

Late planting - 10/31/18 12:13 AM

Need something to fill in some bare spots. I know it’s to late for brassicas now, anything else I should stay away from? Clovers still germinate and have time to establish?
Was thinking wheat and rye, anything else this late in the season?
Posted By: SouthernRoots

Re: Late planting - 10/31/18 12:44 AM

We have one plot that needs to be finished. Left half of it in stand ICP for bow season but all the peas are now gone... Gunna go over it with some Triticale and Oats November 9th.
Posted By: jallencrockett

Re: Late planting - 10/31/18 02:44 AM

Planting / spreading 3 way tomorrow. Overseeding where one of my fields has been crushed and seeding a heavily wood kill plot thats very shaded. With Thursday rain and no predicted frost in next 2 weeks in our area I am hoping to get very good growth prior to NOV 17.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Late planting - 10/31/18 11:51 AM

I'd stick with cereal grains at this point, and cereal rye is by far the quickest and easiest to top dress.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Late planting - 10/31/18 12:49 PM

I decided to make four more yesterday. Don't know yet what I will plant. All the other plots have been in for a week and are doing extremely well, compared to last year.
Posted By: BradB

Re: Late planting - 10/31/18 01:32 PM

First time in memory I don't have a single plot in at this time of year.Guess I will be hunting in the woods Thanksgiving. Hopefully its gonna happen in about 10 days, assuming I can figure out how to drive my new tractor.
Posted By: Turkey

Re: Late planting - 10/31/18 06:31 PM

Is it too late to plant clover? I hope not. I've barely started. Can't get away from work.
Posted By: StoneMan

Re: Late planting - 10/31/18 07:27 PM

I feel the same way. I was able to knock out the largest food plot about 1.5 acres. I've got 3 more I'm going to disc and sow after this rain tomorrow and hope for the best.
Posted By: buzzard

Re: Late planting - 11/01/18 12:31 AM

Ended up going with a mix of wheat, rye, companion clover, black? Arrowleaf clover and crimson.
I didn’t see any freezing temps over the next two weeks and read that the clovers should germinate as well. Fingers crossed
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Late planting - 11/01/18 02:10 AM

We split into two crews today trying to get some seeds in the ground before the rain, but it was a cluster all the way around. The disc tore up on the main tractor and the seed spreader blew out the bottom on the other bunch. Still have about 20 plots left.
Posted By: toothdoc

Re: Late planting - 11/01/18 02:41 AM

I’ve got a little woods plot i could not get to a few weeks ago because of a fallen tree. Well yesterday i finally had time to cut the tree up, but can’t plant till Friday. Plan is to put out some ryegrass (i know, i know) and some crimson clover. With the moist ground and more rain coming next week, hopefully I’ll get some germination.
Posted By: RiverWood

Re: Late planting - 11/01/18 10:09 AM

It’s definitely getting to be the end of planting season, but I would have no problem at all planting this week or next. Finished my last replant yesterday. My brother in Green County planted his entire place Tues this week.
Posted By: StoneMan

Re: Late planting - 11/03/18 06:14 PM

Finished the last 3 plots late yesterday. With the wet ground and more rain coming this week, should I still expect a good germination? Mainly planted oats, rye and wheat with with some ICP.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM