Aldeer.com

Planting tomorrow

Posted By: StoneMan

Planting tomorrow - 10/18/18 07:58 PM

Went out and bought some buck on a bag mix from co-op, has the common wheat, oats, peas, etc. Think I will still get a good growth if I plant tomorrow with this rain to give it some moisture on Saturday?
Posted By: treemydog

Re: Planting tomorrow - 10/18/18 08:15 PM

I planted my fields last weekend. Had decent soil moisture, so I suspect they either have began germinating, or will shortly. The rain chances this weekend will hit it just right for an additional dose of water.

Two years ago (the bad fall drought year) I planted in late Oct after a short shower that hit the spot a couple of days prior. The disk was turning dry powder, but I spread the seed anyway. It was very dry for the next few weeks, and it stayed in suspended animation for that time period until it finally rained. A week after the rain, the fields were green (I guess the turkeys couldn't scratch up and eat all the seed), and in Dec and Jan, I had very respectable growth and production.

Moral of the story: I don't think you can plant too late in the fall with a regular wheat/rye/oat combo. They are cool season plants, and thrive in the cooler weather. As long as you have moisture, you should get a good crop.

Opinions vary, but the above is mine.
Posted By: toothdoc

Re: Planting tomorrow - 10/18/18 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by treemydog
I planted my fields last weekend. Had decent soil moisture, so I suspect they either have began germinating, or will shortly. The rain chances this weekend will hit it just right for an additional dose of water.

Two years ago (the bad fall drought year) I planted in late Oct after a short shower that hit the spot a couple of days prior. The disk was turning dry powder, but I spread the seed anyway. It was very dry for the next few weeks, and it stayed in suspended animation for that time period until it finally rained. A week after the rain, the fields were green (I guess the turkeys couldn't scratch up and eat all the seed), and in Dec and Jan, I had very respectable growth and production.

Moral of the story: I don't think you can plant too late in the fall with a regular wheat/rye/oat combo. They are cool season plants, and thrive in the cooler weather. As long as you have moisture, you should get a good crop.

Opinions vary, but the above is mine.

I bought my property a few years ago at the end of December and hand seeded a couple fields with cereal rye. Two weeks later and it was coming up awesome. I think with the exception of a few weeks in Jan usually, it stays plenty warm enough in Alabama to plant winter varieties all winter.
Posted By: RiverWood

Re: Planting tomorrow - 10/19/18 12:04 AM

Now is best time to plant.
Posted By: jbatey1

Re: Planting tomorrow - 10/19/18 12:54 AM

We planted last weekend and the rain this week was perfect timing. I'm not mad with the chance of rain in the upcoming week either.
Posted By: treemydog

Re: Planting tomorrow - 10/23/18 11:27 AM

This is one of my 5 fields, a week and 2 days since planting. They are looking good, and will be ready for a dose of fertilizer in a few weeks.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: Planting tomorrow - 10/23/18 01:14 PM

Here’s what mine look like.[Linked Image] This is only two weeks of growth
Posted By: toothdoc

Re: Planting tomorrow - 10/23/18 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by johndeere5036

Did you drill or disc? That's impressive growth for 2wks!
Posted By: BradB

Re: Planting tomorrow - 10/23/18 05:21 PM

Good luck. I will be right behind you, hopefully this week-end. Have not had a working tractor for 4 months but that will be rectified by this afternoon.
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: Planting tomorrow - 10/23/18 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by toothdoc
Originally Posted by johndeere5036

Did you drill or disc? That's impressive growth for 2wks!
that was having the fields slicked off with the disc putting the seed out then cultipacking in. I top seeded all the brassicas while my brother was cultipacking
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Planting tomorrow - 10/23/18 11:51 PM

That is a good looking field. It is amazing how all of the plots sort of look the same, no matter where you are at.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM