Aldeer.com

When do you dose your plots

Posted By: Razorsharp123

When do you dose your plots - 10/05/18 06:03 PM

With a second round of fertilizer?

Is there a better product for this than just using urea?

Thanks!
Posted By: abolt300

Re: When do you dose your plots - 10/05/18 06:53 PM

We hit them with Nitrate right around Christmas or early January depending on temps/weather and what they are looking like.
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: When do you dose your plots - 10/05/18 07:52 PM

Ammonium nitrate or urea before a rain in mid to late dec. Normally, 100 lbs/acre of ammonium nitrate
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: When do you dose your plots - 10/05/18 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by ronfromramer
Ammonium nitrate or urea before a rain in mid to late dec. Normally, 100 lbs/acre of ammonium nitrate

I've done this for decades, and nothing makes a plot green up better than a good dose of N. However, I've usually done it late November or early December. If you wait until it gets really cold it may not do as much good. Choosing the best time also depends on the part of the state you are in.
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: When do you dose your plots - 10/06/18 01:27 AM

17-17-17 the ammonia nitrate is good but it’s a quick fix. We started using 17-17-17 and it holds or fields over until about March or so.
Posted By: mike35549

Re: When do you dose your plots - 10/06/18 01:27 AM

First good chance of rain in December here.
Posted By: RiverWood

Re: When do you dose your plots - 10/06/18 10:45 AM

Another reason I plant in late October. Plant 3rd to 4th week in October. Fertilize early November. With clover in mix good for season.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: When do you dose your plots - 10/08/18 02:51 PM

My plots are up about 2 inches, I plan on hitting it with 100lbs/acre ammonium nitrate Tuesday evening and pray for rain. I've already put out my p and k, at planting. I don't put out nitrogen at planting. I want it there when the plants are actively growing. I'll ad another round early December.
Posted By: RiverWood

Re: When do you dose your plots - 10/09/18 03:04 PM

All the T&M food plotters should be seeing an improvement in soil health and organic matter. An application of N or blended fertilizer applied after mid-October, along with some legumes in your seed blend, should be fine with only one initial application. Later applications of N will make plots a lil greener but I don’t think the powder is worth the pop. Healthy soil holds N much better and releases to plants as needed. Also the legumes (maintained year round) provides lots of N credit
Posted By: muzziehead

Re: When do you dose your plots - 10/09/18 06:28 PM

I use AN in late December but never until there is a high chance of rain in the forecast. If you apply it and you don't get any rain, you will likely burn it up.
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: When do you dose your plots - 10/10/18 09:32 PM

Where yall finding ammonium nitrate?

All I can find without a bunch of paperwork is ammonium sulfate.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: When do you dose your plots - 10/10/18 11:51 PM

Why not use urea. Not many folks carry nitrate anymore. Dept homeland security shows up too much
Posted By: blumsden

Re: When do you dose your plots - 10/11/18 11:34 AM

34-0-0 is carried at all the co-ops in my area. You just pay for it, get loaded and leave, no paperwork.
Posted By: jbatey1

Re: When do you dose your plots - 10/12/18 01:56 AM

Didn't want t start a spinoff, When do ya'll dose the first round? Before you seed, after you seed or during seeding?
Posted By: Remington270

Re: When do you dose your plots - 10/12/18 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by jbatey1
Didn't want t start a spinoff, When do ya'll dose the first round? Before you seed, after you seed or during seeding?

During
Posted By: CNC

Re: When do you dose your plots - 10/12/18 12:54 PM

P,K, and Ca are nutrients I try to keep running within good to optimum levels throughout the year. I don’t till and have built up pretty good holding capacity in my soil so I can get away with only adding P every 1-2 years now and K about every 10-12 months in order to bump those levels back up. The Ca or lime is has held for a few years. I'm just watching tests to see how many years before needing more.

Nitrogen is a little different than those other nutrients. I usually add a little bit at planting to help compensate for biomass tie up and then come back about 6-8 weeks later with a heavier application to really boost growth through the last part of hunting season. If you’re struggling to put out any growth in your plot then you can come back with N applications ever 7-8 weeks during spring and summer as well….although I don’t do that anymore. It seems like I have enough organic N in my soil now combined with the clover N credits that natural summer veg looks healthy.

How well your plot does or doesn't hold these nutrients is completely dependent on your soil type along with your management practices.
Posted By: fedex

Re: When do you dose your plots - 10/22/18 08:25 PM

Try growmo
Posted By: Razorsharp123

Re: When do you dose your plots - 11/16/18 04:45 PM

Bumping this up for some info.

With all of the rain we have had, could I dose my plots this afternoon with urea or would I burn them?

Thanks!

Re: When do you dose your plots - 11/16/18 05:08 PM

N will not burn long as foliage is dry. Don't put out in the morning dew or late in day. Make sure there good rain chance before you put untreated urea out. It volatilizes fast if not with all this moisture in the ground now.
Posted By: k bush

Re: When do you dose your plots - 11/16/18 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by sumpter_al

Can you even find Ammonia Nitrate, even with a paper trail ?
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: When do you dose your plots - 11/17/18 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by k bush
Originally Posted by sumpter_al

Can you even find Ammonia Nitrate, even with a paper trail ?

We use what they call high nitrogen fertilizer, it's 33 0 0, a blend of ammonium sulphate and urea.
I'm sure they created it to get around the paperwork of ammonium nitrate. after the Oklahoma city bombing. It works fine
Posted By: mike35549

Re: When do you dose your plots - 11/25/18 05:27 AM

We put approximately 100lbs per acre of urea Friday with the rain forcast. Got about an inch Friday night should be greened up pretty good in a week or so and hopefully get some growth during the next month just in time for the rut.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: When do you dose your plots - 11/25/18 03:06 PM

Plan on doing mine next couple of weeks.
Posted By: Cuz-Pat

Re: When do you dose your plots - 12/01/18 04:53 AM

Got mine done today.

Started raining about an hour after I finished spreading it.

Hope to see a big boost.
Posted By: toothdoc

Re: When do you dose your plots - 12/01/18 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cuz-Pat
Got mine done today.

Started raining about an hour after I finished spreading it.

Hope to see a big boost.

I got all but 2 bags put out before my spreader broke yesterday. Not gonna get repaired this season. It’s just deer plots after all.
Posted By: Cynical

Re: When do you dose your plots - 12/01/18 07:11 PM

Snuck some fertilizer out on my wife’s plots this morning before the big rain this afternoon. I’m sure her mongrel horses will be happy.

Gave me a chance to use the new pull spreader, which I really like so far.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: When do you dose your plots - 12/01/18 07:24 PM

Does it have a manual gate opener for when the fertilizer corrodes that electronic one?

Re: When do you dose your plots - 12/01/18 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
Does it have a manual gate opener for when the fertilizer corrodes that electronic one?

I have a 7 yr old stainless one that hasn’t corroded, so I have high hopes. Silicone spray after a wash seems to work well.

But yes is the answer to your question, just like every other spreader made.

Re: When do you dose your plots - 12/01/18 09:18 PM

What did that bad boy run you?

Re: When do you dose your plots - 12/01/18 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cynical
Originally Posted by 257wbymag

I have a 7 yr old stainless one that hasn’t corroded, so I have high hopes. Silicone spray after a wash seems to work well.

But yes is the answer to your question, just like every other spreader made.

Looks like a fine rig.
Posted By: BradB

Re: When do you dose your plots - 12/03/18 05:10 PM

Man you must have some nice smooth plots. If I tried using that on my raggedy arse plots at the speed I run with the spreader mounted on my Polaris it would be airborne most of the time.

Re: When do you dose your plots - 12/03/18 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by BradB
Man you must have some nice smooth plots. If I tried using that on my raggedy arse plots at the speed I run with the spreader mounted on my Polaris it would be airborne most of the time.

Yep. I think that's why mine only lasted 2 seasons.
Posted By: hunterturf

Re: When do you dose your plots - 12/04/18 01:41 AM

I have a 150 pound model and my buddy has a 250 lb. we replace the hitch with a trailer ball coupling and tighten the nut on the bottom of the hitch so it’s tight on the ball. I have flipped mine once in 3 years. I don’t think he has ever flipped his. And let some air out of the tires so it won’t bounce so bad

Re: When do you dose your plots - 12/04/18 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by BradB

You mean these throw n mow plots in this thread aren’t smooth?

I don’t throw n mow.

Re: When do you dose your plots - 12/04/18 02:15 AM

It takes common sense not to flip one. Which ain't too common anymore.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: When do you dose your plots - 12/04/18 02:35 AM

Y’all must be doing some crazy driving to flip one. I have a spreader just like the one above, and food plots that have several dozen stumps in them, and I’ve never been close to flipping it.

Re: When do you dose your plots - 12/04/18 02:47 AM

My place is super hilly and I've never come close either

Re: When do you dose your plots - 12/04/18 03:07 AM

I had a cheaper Brinkley model and it was top heavy and bad about flipping on the slightest hill or bump. It needed a wider axel.

Re: When do you dose your plots - 12/04/18 03:35 AM

Yea narrow wheel base and non float tires could be bad.
Posted By: Joe4majors

Re: When do you dose your plots - 01/02/19 05:09 AM

[Linked Image]

Pretty obvious where the one pass was applied.
Posted By: Waldo

Re: When do you dose your plots - 01/03/19 02:54 AM

That is even.

In the middle at least.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: When do you dose your plots - 01/03/19 07:15 PM

I put some out last Wednesday and it is showing it's effect with the rain and warm temps.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM