Aldeer.com

WMS Deer Magnet?

Posted By: marshmud991

WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/19/18 03:48 PM

Anybody tried this in the south Alabama area? Opinions please.
Posted By: Clayton

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/19/18 04:08 PM

I planted three large fields with this last weekend.....Everything I've read says its makes a great plot.
Posted By: Joe4majors

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/19/18 05:00 PM

I've used it before and been very happy with all products from WMS. One of the years was a bust though, but that's because we planted, it rained the next day so we got germination, but then it didn't rain again for 63 days.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/19/18 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Joe4majors
I've used it before and been very happy with all products from WMS. One of the years was a bust though, but that's because we planted, it rained the next day so we got germination, but then it didn't rain again for 63 days.

I don't think anyone will forget that year anytime soon. It was the longest rainless period ever for the Tuscaloosa area. And I don't think it was even close...
Posted By: gatorbait154

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/19/18 09:29 PM

Good stuff !!
Posted By: CKyleC

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/21/18 03:19 AM

It's good stuff. I planted Deer Magnet and Alabama blend last year. It was my first time planting both. After last year's results, I doubt I'll ever plant anything else

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/21/18 02:20 PM

How did y'all cover the seed?
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/21/18 03:49 PM

Disc, spread seed, drag some chain link fence

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/24/18 01:20 AM

I have a re-bar spike drag I use
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/24/18 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by marshmud991

Section har
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/24/18 01:58 PM

I use a disc set with very little angle . Just enough to flip the dirt a little, works very well.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/24/18 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by 2Dogs

I use a disc set with very little angle . Just enough to flip the dirt a little, works very well.

Yes that works really well. Done a lot of acres that way

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/24/18 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
Originally Posted by 2Dogs

Yes that works really well. Done a lot of acres that way

That's how we always did it. Guess we will just keep on keepin on.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/24/18 06:02 PM

Throw and mow! laugh

Seriously, it does work pretty well.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/24/18 06:09 PM

Yes it does, work very well, planted 5 plots using T&M this past weekend. Most mixes have basically the same cereal grains, like wheat,rye,and oats. I know WMS has triticale which is a rye/wheat hybrid, but other than that most mixes are very similar with varying clovers and brassica's. None are magic and none work better in one part of the state than the other. Failings of plantings are usually operator error.

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/24/18 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by blumsden
Yes it does, work very well, planted 5 plots using T&M this past weekend. Most mixes have basically the same cereal grains, like wheat,rye,and oats. I know WMS has triticale which is a rye/wheat hybrid, but other than that most mixes are very similar with varying clovers and brassica's. None are magic and none work better in one part of the state than the other. Failings of plantings are usually operator error.

I disagree concerning the deer magnet. One of the BIG selling points to me is that it's one bag per acre.

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/24/18 11:54 PM

Doesn’t WMS coat some if their seeds? If so, not the same as all seed mixes.
Posted By: lectrode

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/25/18 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by CKyleC
It's good stuff. I planted Deer Magnet and Alabama blend last year. It was my first time planting both. After last year's results, I doubt I'll ever plant anything else

Did you like one more than the other? I planted the Deer Magnet last year was very pleased with it.
Posted By: lectrode

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/25/18 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by CKyleC

Did you like one more than the other? I planted the Deer Magnet last year was very pleased with it.
Doesn’t WMS coat some if their seeds? If so, not the same as all seed mixes.

Gro coat from Delta AG

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/25/18 12:35 AM

I can mix and adjust my rates way cheaper than any pre blend on the market. It's not hard to do
Posted By: bama1971

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/25/18 01:49 PM

this is WMS Alabama Blend last year
[Linked Image]

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/25/18 02:58 PM

My point to the original poster was that there are no proprietary seed in WMS, in other words, they didn't invent or develop these seeds, all they did was package them. You can find everything in that blend in other mixes, maybe not all together. Other companies, like Pennington and whitetail institute coat they're seed as well. I'm sure it's a great seed blend, but nobody around us sells it. The reason 1 bag plants an acre, is because it has a larger percentage of the small seeds like clover and the brassica's. I will say this, if you disc or till, you have to be careful when covering your seed when using a mix because if you cover your clover and brassica's over 1/4" they wont come up. Another good reason to T&M. How much is a bag of WMS magnet?

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/25/18 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
I can mix and adjust my rates way cheaper than any pre blend on the market. It's not hard to do

257, as much as you plant, you need your on seed company. LOL If planting large area's its definitely cheaper to mix your own, but most plotters are only planting a few acres.
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/25/18 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by blumsden
How much is a bag of WMS magnet?

$45 a bag in Montgomery
Posted By: Turkeymaster

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/25/18 03:22 PM

there's no way I'm paying $45 for a bag of seed unless it's clover. it doesn't make sense in my opinion to not make your own mix with good seed that's a hell of a lot cheaper and will do just as well. I like to do 100/125 lbs of seed an acre, that would put me at $90 an acre for 10 acres before fertilizer. that's absurd

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/25/18 04:52 PM

You would be doubling the recommended rate for Deer Magnet if 100 pounds per acre. Like blumsden said, if only a couple acres it might be worth getting a packaged mix. You might be in the middle (small vs large scale) with 10 acres
Posted By: Turkeymaster

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/25/18 05:09 PM

You would be doubling the recommended rate for Deer Magnet if 100 pounds per acre. Like blumsden said, if only a couple acres it might be worth getting a packaged mix. You might be in the middle (small vs large scale) with 10 acres

I'm getting seed wheat for $7 a bag and oats for 12$ a bag. I can put one of each plus 2-5 lbs of turnips and clover in each field and still be a good 12-15$ cheaper an acre and have twice as many plants. I just don't feel like a 50lb bag of seed can adequately cover an acre but that's just an opinion

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/25/18 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Turkeymaster

I'm getting seed wheat for $7 a bag and oats for 12$ a bag. I can put one of each plus 2-5 lbs of turnips and clover in each field and still be a good 12-15$ cheaper an acre and have twice as many plants. I just don't feel like a 50lb bag of seed can adequately cover an acre but that's just an opinion

I agree, I don't like putting just 50lbs/acre either, but the WMS must have several lbs of brassica's and clovers for it to plant 1 acre. How about one of you that uses it post up a picture of the ingredient tags with the percentages, i'm curious to see them.
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/25/18 10:47 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/25/18 11:19 PM

Looks like about 4.5 pounds of clover. Some of that is their high dollar clover too. Doesn't look like too bad of a price to me for all that

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/25/18 11:35 PM

What I see onthat label is a whole lotta small quantities. Looks catchy but I'd tend to go for larger quantities of fewer ingredients and I sure a better stand of fewer varieties. But hey it's intended to be catchy to hunters.
Posted By: auburn17

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/26/18 12:45 AM

A buddy of mine has a cattle farm that borders my lease, he plants 150 acres of Triticale in winter pastures. That is the ingredient I see that would make the biggest difference. Deer absolutely hammer it

Re: WMS Deer Magnet? - 09/26/18 12:55 AM

My mix this year
55 lbs triticale
10 lbs sodbuster radish
10 lbs crimson clover

All per acre

On another place
40# cosaque oats
10# crimson clover
3# sodbuster radish

All per acre