Aldeer.com

Wild mint?

Posted By: blahblahblah

Wild mint? - 09/16/18 07:28 PM

I planted my newest small plot and was doing something like a throw and mow with some minor modifications. However one half of the plot was covered with a mint like plant that once chopped down nearly took my breath away. Question 1 is will this stuff keep deer out of my plog? Is it winter hardy and will it likely reestablish quickly? I can't imagine deer wanting to be near the stuff. Also most of what I planted was radishes and clovers. So yes I planted early for south Alabama. I will top sow rye in late October.
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Wild mint? - 09/16/18 08:20 PM

Maybe horseweed or sassafras?
Posted By: RiverWood

Re: Wild mint? - 09/16/18 11:01 PM

If it has a square stem it’s henbit. Looks & smells like mint. Deer eat it
Posted By: blahblahblah

Re: Wild mint? - 09/16/18 11:03 PM

I think some may have had pink flowers. I didn't smell it until I buzzed it down. It made me cough.
Posted By: scrubbuck

Re: Wild mint? - 09/23/18 07:29 PM

Could have been lantana.

Re: Wild mint? - 09/23/18 08:01 PM

Lantana will grow into a bush if not mowed. Henbit always looks like a weed. It spouts pink flowers 🌸
Posted By: deerfeeder89

Re: Wild mint? - 09/24/18 12:59 AM

Will deer eat wild mint? And it not bother them? I know it'll kill a cow

Re: Wild mint? - 09/24/18 06:11 PM

Yes deer eat henbit. It is one of many wild mint species that is also safe for human consumption. If a plant looks like AND smells like mint it is safe to eat
Posted By: Cuz-Pat

Re: Wild mint? - 09/27/18 03:19 AM

Perilla Mint is a wild mint that has a square stem.

It will kill a cow, a horse, or a goat in a heartbeat.

I have a neighbor that had it all over his pasture and he lost 5 brood cows to it last summer.

Cattle were autopsied at Mississippi State and Perilla Mint was named as the cause of death.

Kills through the respiratory system.

Animals develop pneumonia like symptoms.

Looks like to me it would harm deer but maybe not.

Never have researched that aspect of it.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM