Aldeer.com

Rain

Posted By: ridgestalker

Rain - 08/21/18 07:19 PM

This has been a really wet summer so far y’all think it will hold up thru September? I’m thinking of planting earlier this year. Going to spray next week or so
Posted By: Clayton

Re: Rain - 08/21/18 08:15 PM

I went ahead and planted 4 ladino clover plots within the last two weeks. They are coming up nicely with all the rain....I'm sure once the end of September rolls around everything will dry up.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Rain - 08/22/18 01:48 AM

Watch out the army worms are bad right now.
Posted By: CKyleC

Re: Rain - 08/22/18 02:38 AM

Late Sept- Oct is the driest time in Bama... just sayin

Also, fyi, a couple of years ago when it got real dry, I planted ahead of a forcasted big rain and nothing came. I ended up planting again the first week of Nov. Everything came up great. After that I have no problem waiting later in the year to plant
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Rain - 08/22/18 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by CKyleC

Also, fyi, a couple of years ago when it got real dry, I planted ahead of a forcasted big rain and nothing came. I ended up planting again the first week of Nov. Everything came up great. After that I have no problem waiting later in the year to plant

We did the same thing that year and we will probably wait until mid to late October again. None of us bow hunt anyway
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: Rain - 08/22/18 05:05 PM

We plant at the beginning of October and has worked pretty good for us
Posted By: mike35549

Re: Rain - 08/23/18 01:16 AM

We have always planted sometime between 1-15 Sept and it has always worked out. Lots of folks been planting on Labor Day weekend for long as I can remember.
Posted By: dreadpiratebob

Re: Rain - 08/24/18 04:10 PM

As far as I understand it, October is historically the driest month of the year in Alabama.

Last year I semi-hedged my bets by planting 3 different times if you will.

I threw out some red ripper cow peas in the middle of August, as I'd picked them up for real cheap. They grew well and and had a solid start to them. I planted the next round (Chicory, Rapeseed and Clover mix) First week of October. I had lots of tiny green by bow season opener. Still had green growth by the end of the season.

I top seeded buck forage oats after opening weekend. I think I probably could have planted them earlier, I think the turkey's put a hurting on them.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM