Aldeer.com

soil maps - do you use them for food plots?

Posted By: ALFisher

soil maps - do you use them for food plots? - 08/13/18 06:27 PM

There's a new tool out there from the feds on the web that allows you to see what type of soils you have, and it will overlay it on a satellite map of your property. Has anyone ever used them or something similar to determine where to locate food plots? If not, would it be a good idea, or are these things not all that accurate?
Posted By: Turkeymaster

Re: soil maps - do you use them for food plots? - 08/13/18 06:42 PM

I use Farmlogs to see how much rain I get and to map out my fields, it has a tool on there to see what time of soil you have
Posted By: Remington270

Re: soil maps - do you use them for food plots? - 08/13/18 07:47 PM

I’ve found them to be pretty accurate on my places. Can you find this stuff online now? USDA data?
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: soil maps - do you use them for food plots? - 08/13/18 08:07 PM

https://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/app/
Posted By: centralala

Re: soil maps - do you use them for food plots? - 08/13/18 08:12 PM

These maps have been out since the first half of the 1900's. You can get them printed out at the NRCS office. Being on-line is new or I haven't seen them before. I have always gotten them in a packet when having a NRCS program done. They are very accurate. I have no idea how they get their info but mine have always been exact. I wouldn't think they would be much help with foodplots because most people can't choose where to put a plot. They have to put it where the opening is or wherever is available.
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: soil maps - do you use them for food plots? - 08/13/18 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by NightHunter

That's a cool site, thanks for posting. I just got on there and did it for my lease. This was the output I got for pH (1 to 1 Water) section. So is the "Rating" column the expected pH value or is that just some numerical rating?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: centralala

Re: soil maps - do you use them for food plots? - 08/13/18 10:35 PM

For land owners claiming "current use" for property taxes, the soil group of the land is a determining factor in tax amount.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM