Aldeer.com

Cover question

Posted By: BruteX

Cover question - 08/11/18 11:26 PM

Here’s the scenario. My place has 2 40 acre blocks of timber. Row crop is around the timber with the exception being 13 acres of pasture. I have let the pasture grow up the past two years. Question is should I cut it or let it grow ? I’m thinking if I let it grow predators would have more room to hide. On the other hand, deer would have more cover. .??
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Cover question - 08/11/18 11:39 PM

If the timber is mature and open I'd say let the pasture go. If you wanta hold deer you need cover.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Cover question - 08/11/18 11:54 PM

Deer need cover, predators need space to hunt.
Posted By: BruteX

Re: Cover question - 08/12/18 12:14 AM

On one 40 acre block, some time in the past 20 years it was cut and replanted with pine in 3 section. The rest of the block is real thick with saplings, mostly 30ft high and 3 to 4 inches circumference. I have pushed some of the saplings up into shooting lanes, and a couple of small greenfield. Should I cut the saplings down or leave them for cover?
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Cover question - 08/12/18 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by SouthBamaSlayer

Yep. That's the whole reason deer are there. In thick stuff, deer win...
Posted By: Rockhound

Re: Cover question - 08/12/18 03:44 AM

I would probably break the pasture up in sections and rotate a cutting every few years, if not it will eventually get away from any means you have to cut it.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Cover question - 08/12/18 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Rockhound
I would probably break the pasture up in sections and rotate a cutting every few years, if not it will eventually get away from any means you have to cut it.

I like this.
Posted By: centralala

Re: Cover question - 08/12/18 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by SouthBamaSlayer

I think that depends on the prey. I have a 3 year planted pines area joined by a corn field. Corn field produced well but was allowed to grow up for cover. Cutover/pines + corn = mice and rats. Huge increase in snakes, foxes, bobcats, coyotes, and hawks. Some deer but this is not a high deer population area so there wouldn't be a lot there with or without predators. These predators are hunting the thickets for rodents.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Cover question - 08/12/18 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Originally Posted by Rockhound

I like this.

Yup.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM