If you were planting next week....

Posted By: CKyleC

If you were planting next week.... - 05/31/18 12:34 PM

What would you plant?

Main purpose is to feed deer.

I have clover established in the area. I want to provide an alternative to it
Posted By: Joe4majors

Re: If you were planting next week.... - 05/31/18 12:51 PM

See if Wilburns has any of those combine-run soybeans for $20 a bag.

Re: If you were planting next week.... - 05/31/18 01:09 PM

Have you planted those?

Re: If you were planting next week.... - 05/31/18 01:28 PM

Hope to plant at the farm soon. Put a few out in the garden and they are doing fine. Supposed to be RR too. I would plant a little heavy though because there is a decent amount of junk (hulls, etc.) in the bag. Seems to be well worth it for the cost though.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CNC

Re: If you were planting next week.... - 05/31/18 01:34 PM

How many acres are you planting?

Re: If you were planting next week.... - 06/01/18 03:35 AM

3 acres total. One 2 ac field and one 1ac field

Dennis does still have some of the forage beans
Posted By: blumsden

Re: If you were planting next week.... - 06/01/18 11:41 AM

If you have a high deer density, I don't think 3 acres of ag soybeans will do much good. Once they nip the top off they're done. I would go with a mix of buckwheat/IC cowpea's/ sunn hemp. Buckwheat in conjunction with one of the other two works well, if you don't want to use all 3.

Re: If you were planting next week.... - 06/01/18 12:30 PM

We don't have a high density.

However, I am worried about them getting nipped. Is there something I can plant with the beans that will protect them?
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: If you were planting next week.... - 06/01/18 12:40 PM

Milorganite

Re: If you were planting next week.... - 06/01/18 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by CKyleC
We don't have a high density.

However, I am worried about them getting nipped. Is there something I can plant with the beans that will protect them?

I've had moderate success with about the same amount of acreage in Marion County. If it's a place you can easily get to every 3 weeks or so, Milorganite applications can help a lot IMHO. We plant in the summer to help pull deer onto our property year round although the small amount of soybeans probably doesn't help a whole lot for herd health.

Milorganite Thread
Posted By: Strictlybow

Re: If you were planting next week.... - 06/02/18 02:37 PM

Try some Alyce clover and jointvetch. At least try it in one of your fields and see how it does. I plant a couple of acres of it every year in a plot by itself, along with all of the other normal summer plantings. 20 - 30 pounds per acre, 10 - 15 pounds each, with some 0-20-20 and you’re good to go. It can’t be over browsed from what I’ve seen. It starts slow but then comes on strong especially late summer when the drought hits. I’ve been planting it for about 7 years now and I don’t know why more people don’t plant it. High protein, grows like crazy and deer love it. It works great if you don’t have the acreage for beans or peas. Grows 5 feet high in exclusion cage but is mowed down to a foot tall outside cage.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: If you were planting next week.... - 06/04/18 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Strictlybow
Try some Alyce clover and jointvetch. At least try it in one of your fields and see how it does. I plant a couple of acres of it every year in a plot by itself, along with all of the other normal summer plantings. 20 - 30 pounds per acre, 10 - 15 pounds each, with some 0-20-20 and you’re good to go. It can’t be over browsed from what I’ve seen. It starts slow but then comes on strong especially late summer when the drought hits. I’ve been planting it for about 7 years now and I don’t know why more people don’t plant it. High protein, grows like crazy and deer love it. It works great if you don’t have the acreage for beans or peas. Grows 5 feet high in exclusion cage but is mowed down to a foot tall outside cage.

I've planted both, years ago, but the deer acted like they didn't know what it was. They didn't browse it much at all. I like throwing in a lot of durana and yucchi with my fall mix. It feeds them till its about ready for fall planting.

Re: If you were planting next week.... - 06/04/18 04:25 PM

How would the beans do mixed with the alyce clover and joint vetch?

Re: If you were planting next week.... - 06/04/18 05:13 PM

How would the beans do mixed with the alyce clover and joint vetch?

Not sure. I plant them both every year but do it separately so I can spray them.

Blumsden I can’t imagine that at my place. They tear it up until it’s plowed under.

I also have durana and arrowleaf growing in plots that stay green and are used most of the year. Again these are planted separate for maintenance.

Re: If you were planting next week.... - 06/04/18 05:55 PM

yeah, maintenance would be an issue

Re: If you were planting next week.... - 06/05/18 06:47 PM

Can you spray the Alyce and Joint Vetch with clethodim and 24db?

Re: If you were planting next week.... - 06/06/18 01:05 PM

Can you spray the Alyce and Joint Vetch with clethodim and 24db?

Yes. I sprayed mine yesterday with both Cleth and Butyrac 200.

Weeds were growing like crazy from all the rain and it hasn’t been dry enough to spray for a while.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM