Aldeer.com

sun hemp

Posted By: BatesConst

sun hemp - 05/07/18 07:35 PM

I am thinking about planting around 7 acres of the sun hemp. The tall variety. Anyway, One field will be about 3 acres and in this field I was going to blend in about a 50# bag of perodivik sunflower and maybe even a 50# bag of Milo with it as well. Is there a pr-emergent herbicide I can use that will help keep the field clean and not hurt the sun hemp, perodivik sunflower or milo. Prowl, Treflan? Or is even necessary? Also, with having high deer densities and regular soybeans not standing a chance, will this sun hemp be a better option than say, lab lab or possibly a heavily seeded forage soybean.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: sun hemp - 05/07/18 09:48 PM

From my limited experience, I would rather have Lablab than hemp any day.
Posted By: BradB

Re: sun hemp - 05/08/18 02:05 PM

If your goal is to feed deer I am not sure that is the best way to go. The deer will eat the Sunn Hemp but it grows fast and will quickly become too tall for them to use and they will eat every Sunflower as soon as they pop up. I will be planting about the same acreage and will be using RR forage beans and 7 lbs/ac of rr corn.I This is the third year I have done this and it works great. The first two years I planted 3 and then about 5 acres and e-fenced it but with the larger acreage this year hope I do not need too.Only drawback is the cost, which sux. But I have seen very positive things happen in my deer numbers and size, so its worth it.
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: sun hemp - 05/08/18 02:26 PM

If your goal is to feed deer.....don’t you want them to eat it???

Re: sun hemp - 05/08/18 07:40 PM

They will eat it until its over their head which will occur in less than a month.Then it is useless except for cover and soil improvement.My goal is too feed them all summer and well into the winter, which that mix will not do. I do use Sunn Hemp, climbing peas or soybeans, Buckwheat and Teosinate in a 40-50 foot perimeter around my field for screening and because the Quail love it, but feeding deer is secondary.
Posted By: BatesConst

Re: sun hemp - 05/09/18 02:43 AM

I'm actually planting the sun hemp to help rotate the crop, build the soil and give the deer something to eat in the process. I'll bushhog it down mid summer or so in one field. I can then plant a little milo for the doves in that field. I have had rr corn planted in it for 2 years in a row. The other fields I'll let it grow until time for fall planting.
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: sun hemp - 05/09/18 04:13 PM

The Sunn Hemp needs to be mowed periodically to continue 'feeding deer'.

But, it will.

It is not a plant it and forget it food source, though.
Posted By: RiverWood

Re: sun hemp - 05/12/18 01:33 AM

Dual is a preemerge that will do what you ask. Plant and immediately spray gly, dual, AMS, surfactant. Will give some residual weed control
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: sun hemp - 05/12/18 03:42 AM

If you like Dual try Warrant. 4x better pre lot less water to activate.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: sun hemp - 05/12/18 04:03 AM

Sunn hemp and ICP work great.

Re: sun hemp - 05/13/18 02:59 AM

Even better are a climbing pea. I use Red Ripper but I am sure there are others. They climb the sun hemp and produce a pile of pods. Since I don’t mow my Sunn Hemp when it gets too tall the deer have the peas that are growing up it
© 2024 ALDEER.COM