Aldeer.com

Round up ready corn seed

Posted By: CCC

Round up ready corn seed - 04/14/18 02:55 PM

Where can you get Roundup Ready Corn Seed in birmingham
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Round up ready corn seed - 04/14/18 03:05 PM

Find a NWTF chapter that is selling it. There’s an aldeer guy that has some, some years.
Posted By: Joe4majors

Re: Round up ready corn seed - 04/14/18 03:15 PM

I don't see why a $7 bag of deer corn wouldn't be RR.
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Round up ready corn seed - 04/14/18 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Joe4majors

Ive often wondered about that. It will obviously sprout but I've been told that it would not produce an ear of corn. I have no idea if it will or not. If it would I would plant some of the Apple flavored corn lol.

Re: Round up ready corn seed - 04/14/18 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by !shiloh!

Ive often wondered about that. It will obviously sprout but I've been told that it would produce an ear of corn. I have no idea if it will or not. If it would I would plant some of the Apple flavored corn lol.

I’ve planted a little of it in the garden and it put on ears. Also sprayed with gly and it did fine. Curious to hear the thoughts from the professionals though.
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Round up ready corn seed - 04/15/18 04:45 PM

Ive often wondered about that. It will obviously sprout but I've been told that it would not produce an ear of corn. .

We tried some last year. Got it in the ground way late but it made ears but never got to maturity.

Re: Round up ready corn seed - 04/15/18 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rmart30

Ive often wondered about that. It will obviously sprout but I've been told that it would not produce an ear of corn. .

We tried some last year. Got it in the ground way late but it made ears but never got to maturity.

Just curious, how late?
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Round up ready corn seed - 04/15/18 10:01 PM

Just curious, how late?

Like mid -late july

Re: Round up ready corn seed - 04/16/18 02:22 PM

Like mid -late july

This is where I don't know if not reaching maturity is due to poor quality seed (although I don't see how) or lacking heat units being due to late planting.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Round up ready corn seed - 04/16/18 05:58 PM

I've had several guys say they've planted feed corn and had good production on the ear's. Seems like they were some guys on the old QDMA site that did this. I sprayed some with gly that had sprouted from a feeder, and it killed the hell out of it.
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: Round up ready corn seed - 04/16/18 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by blumsden
I've had several guys say they've planted feed corn and had good production on the ear's. Seems like they were some guys on the old QDMA site that did this. I sprayed some with gly that had sprouted from a feeder, and it killed the hell out of it.

Seems like if you sprayed right before the planting (like the day before) the roundup would be dry and not affect the nonsprouted seed. Then the corn would get a jump on the other weeds and might shade out some of them. For $10 it would probably be worth the attempt, versus $250 for a bag of corn... unless it is less than that now. That was what it was the last time I planted it.

And then spot spray a little of it after it comes up, if it dies then let it go and hope the weeds are at a minimum. If the roundup does not kill it then spray the whole field.
Posted By: loprofile

Re: Round up ready corn seed - 04/18/18 07:48 PM

We usually broadcast it at rate of 800 pounds per acre in mid October. Never has produced an ear though.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Round up ready corn seed - 04/19/18 12:47 AM

Lol
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Round up ready corn seed - 04/19/18 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by loprofile
We usually broadcast it at rate of 800 pounds per acre in mid October. Never has produced an ear though.

You got sold some bad seed then slap

Re: Round up ready corn seed - 04/19/18 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag

On a serious note, what are your thoughts on "feed seed" being able to produce a good stand if planted at the right time and properly fertilized? Seems like I recall the first of July is about as late as it can be planted?
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: Round up ready corn seed - 04/19/18 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag

maybe he just top sews it
Posted By: BradB

Re: Round up ready corn seed - 04/19/18 07:17 PM

In about a 20 SF radius.
Posted By: RiverWood

Re: Round up ready corn seed - 04/22/18 07:16 PM

Feed corn will definitely germinate and grow ears of corn. Chances are more than 99% that it will be rr. Problem with growing a decent stand of corn is weeds. Weeds can reduce yields to almost nothing. Plus corn requires a 2nd application of N just as late as you can get over it with a spreader. So, if you are going to spend $100/ac for weed control (3 passes) and another $150/ac for fertilizer, do you really want to skimp on seed cost? Seed corn is treated with several genetics like fungicide and insecticides. Some seed is treated with over a dozen seed treatments. Discing a plot and throwing out seed corn plus a little fertilizer is more for stress relief for the guy planting it. It gives you something to do. If you want to grow a decent stand of corn you need to buy seed corn or get with your local NWTF and get their seed. Also, we have so many Roundup resistant weeds now that just spraying Roundup is a recipe for failure
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Round up ready corn seed - 04/28/18 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by RiverWood
Feed corn will definitely germinate and grow ears of corn. Chances are more than 99% that it will be rr. Problem with growing a decent stand of corn is weeds. Weeds can reduce yields to almost nothing. Plus corn requires a 2nd application of N just as late as you can get over it with a spreader. So, if you are going to spend $100/ac for weed control (3 passes) and another $150/ac for fertilizer, do you really want to skimp on seed cost? Seed corn is treated with several genetics like fungicide and insecticides. Some seed is treated with over a dozen seed treatments. Discing a plot and throwing out seed corn plus a little fertilizer is more for stress relief for the guy planting it. It gives you something to do. If you want to grow a decent stand of corn you need to buy seed corn or get with your local NWTF and get their seed. Also, we have so many Roundup resistant weeds now that just spraying Roundup is a recipe for failure

All of that is true if you feel like you need to make 100% of yield possibility. I have grown some fine corn that I would guess hit 80% of yield without spending that much time and money. I have planted NWTF corn by prepping the field, broadcasting seed and fertilizer, and then one application of gly in about a month. I'm spending a fraction of what your program requires, and still making a lot of corn.

It doesn't really matter whether I make a little or a lot, the dang deer clean up every grain in a few weeks anyway. I plant it for doves, but I think I am gonna use other crops in the future. Dang deer ruin everything
Posted By: RiverWood

Re: Round up ready corn seed - 04/30/18 10:16 AM

I’ve found no better therapy than riding on a tractor
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: Round up ready corn seed - 04/30/18 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by RiverWood
I’ve found no better therapy than riding on a tractor

No truer words were ever spoken. Unless it was a full time job then it probably would not be as fun.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Round up ready corn seed - 05/01/18 12:41 AM

Yep.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM