Aldeer.com

What to plant with soybeans

Posted By: Joe4majors

What to plant with soybeans - 03/21/18 02:17 AM

I thought about mixing something in with the beans this year. What have y’all had luck with? Thought about sunn hemp, but worried it will outgrow the beans and shade them out. Corn? Buckwheat?
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: What to plant with soybeans - 03/21/18 02:49 AM

I’m gonna try sunhemp and I/C peas this spring
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: What to plant with soybeans - 03/21/18 09:57 AM

I have never planted it, but from what I have read sun hemp will do fine with beans. You just have to cut the planting rate way back.
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: What to plant with soybeans - 03/21/18 06:31 PM

Ive given up on soybeans. We are moving to ICP and sunflower mix this spring.

Re: What to plant with soybeans - 03/21/18 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by sumpter_al
Ive given up on soybeans. We are moving to ICP and sunflower mix this spring.

Why? Deer hitting them too hard?

Re: What to plant with soybeans - 03/21/18 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Bunny
I have never planted it, but from what I have read sun hemp will do fine with beans. You just have to cut the planting rate way back.

That's another hold up for sunn hemp. One bag is expensive and way more seed that I think I would need (when mixed). Wonder if anyone sells smaller bags or by the pound?
Posted By: sawdust

Re: What to plant with soybeans - 03/21/18 07:33 PM

Hancock seed has smaller bags.

Re: What to plant with soybeans - 03/21/18 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by sawdust
Hancock seed has smaller bags.

Awesome! Thanks!
Posted By: BradB

Re: What to plant with soybeans - 03/22/18 02:53 AM

What’s their point in mixing Sunn Hemp and beans? Mix 7 lbs/ac corn with beans and feed em in the summer and winter. I am on year 3 and have gone from 3 ac to about 7 planned for this summer. I hope the 7 ac will be enough I don’t have to e-fence them.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: What to plant with soybeans - 03/22/18 03:39 AM

I have a little over an acre at the house so that won’t make shucks for summer/winter so that’s the main reason folks with small acerage use it. I would love to have 4-5 acres of plots just not enough flat ground for me to work with.

Re: What to plant with soybeans - 03/22/18 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by BradB
What’s their point in mixing Sunn Hemp and beans? Mix 7 lbs/ac corn with beans and feed em in the summer and winter. I am on year 3 and have gone from 3 ac to about 7 planned for this summer. I hope the 7 ac will be enough I don’t have to e-fence them.

Just experimenting with something different would be one reason. Also, sunn hemp is a legume so no need for N fertilizer whereas corn needs it. Sunn hemp might do better with hot/dry conditions (I think, not sure). Don't have to worry about coons getting the sunn hemp. Sunn hemp is very high in protein. As mentioned earlier, sunn hemp should do better with small acreage and browsing pressure.
Posted By: mdf

Re: What to plant with soybeans - 03/31/18 01:39 AM

Planted sunn hemp last year by itself above had above average rain it did well. Did not notice alot of browse only around the edge,could've been deer didn't really know what it was. It would make a good cover or screen but it's pricey. One place we just disced and threw it out and it came up the other spot disced and covered i believe it did better. Our beans,icpand corn we're eat down very early and that was on a 5 acre field
Posted By: Remington270

Re: What to plant with soybeans - 03/31/18 04:19 PM

Where are y’all getting sun hemp? Online?

Re: What to plant with soybeans - 03/31/18 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Remington270

Co-op in Tuscaloosa has it for $139 per 50# bag. I plan to order 10 or so pounds online just to experiment with.

Re: What to plant with soybeans - 04/01/18 02:21 AM

I believe I got it from Petchers or something like that someone correct me if I'm wrong

Re: What to plant with soybeans - 04/01/18 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Joe4majors

Co-op in Tuscaloosa has it for $139 per 50# bag. I plan to order 10 or so pounds online just to experiment with.

PM sent

Re: What to plant with soybeans - 04/01/18 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Joe4majors

PM sent

PM returned.
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: What to plant with soybeans - 04/01/18 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by mdf
Planted sunn hemp last year by itself above had above average rain it did well. Did not notice alot of browse only around the edge,could've been deer didn't really know what it was. It would make a good cover or screen but it's pricey. One place we just disced and threw it out and it came up the other spot disced and covered i believe it did better. Our beans,icpand corn we're eat down very early and that was on a 5 acre field

Yr 2 or 3 is when they figured it out with us. The stems grow high and they had all the leaves below 6 ft stripped off. We plant it in strips and not a whole field. Bean one strip then hemp about 10 ft between.

Re: What to plant with soybeans - 04/01/18 07:49 PM

Yeah we were late getting the sunn hemp and had already planted the majority of a 5 acre field . We had about an acre left unplanted and tried the sunn hemp it really did well. Was wanting to plant clover this spring behind it but unfortunately we gave up on the lease.
Posted By: deernut

Re: What to plant with soybeans - 04/04/18 12:33 AM

How are yall getting sun hemp iv planted it in the past but it's illegal in Alabama and iv always planted a couple of fields with power plant from whitetail institute but the can't even deliver it to a al address

Re: What to plant with soybeans - 04/04/18 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by deernut
How are yall getting sun hemp iv planted it in the past but it's illegal in Alabama and iv always planted a couple of fields with power plant from whitetail institute but the can't even deliver it to a al address

If the co-op seed stores carry it, I seriously doubt it's illegal.
Posted By: blahblahblah

Re: What to plant with soybeans - 04/04/18 02:07 AM

Sunn Hemp is not illegal in Alabama. It just can not be a part of a pre-mixed blend. It can be sold separate and then you blend it yourself. Sunn hemp, soybeans or cowpeas, and buckwheat is a great mix. It covers your fertilize, feeds the deer from start to finish and gives them bedding. I also like the strips. Plant early, then re-plant strips of it in August or September , then go back to the strips that you left standing from the early planting and do your fall plot in October. You will have tender food and ongoing fertilizer with that rotation. This only works if you have easy tractor access.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM