Aldeer.com

White clover ????

Posted By: globe

White clover ???? - 02/23/18 02:39 PM

Gonna plant some asap, but would like some opinions on the best, and most economical white clover.
I know Durana is supposed to be king, but why not Ladino, white Dutch, etc?
I don't mind top seeding every 2-3 years.
Posted By: Bossbuck

Re: White clover ???? - 02/23/18 02:50 PM

Good question I have white Dutch clover in my yard and the deer are in my yard all the time eating it. It seems to be a hardy clover. I guess it was planted by my grandfather it been here all my life. I have planted ladino and had good luck with it. But the white Dutch just grows by itself.
Posted By: CNC

Re: White clover ???? - 02/23/18 03:27 PM

White dutch is a short growing clover that doesn't produce nearly as much tonnage as durana.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: White clover ???? - 02/23/18 07:05 PM

I would wait until fall before planting any perennial clover.It is already hot and perennial clover needs several months to get their root system established before dry weather hits. Durana is more drought tolerant and has a higher stolon count that the other clovers you mentioned, which means it will get thicker and choke out weeds better.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: White clover ???? - 02/23/18 07:14 PM

Seems like I remember reading that Yucci Arrowleaf was developed at auburn for the south Alabama sandy soild.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: White clover ???? - 02/24/18 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by blumsden
I would wait until fall before planting any perennial clover.It is already hot and perennial clover needs several months to get their root system established before dry weather hits. Durana is more drought tolerant and has a higher stolon count that the other clovers you mentioned, which means it will get thicker and choke out weeds better.

Good advice.
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: White clover ???? - 02/24/18 02:11 AM

Depends on what you want from it. Durana is good cause of the large root system it estblishes, it produces the most in year 2 and 3 and more. But the first year its energy goes to the roots. Ladina and i think dutch to are fast growing but are less hearty and have long stems which the deer dont eat. So less eatable tonnage per acre. I dont think you will go "wrong" with any of them.
Posted By: BradB

Re: White clover ???? - 02/27/18 06:30 PM

Durana is great stuff. I Planted part of a plot in it at least 8 years ago, had a few years of beautiful clover and then it petered out. I started discing it and planting regular winter crops until about 2 years ago when I limed the field at over 2 tons/ac.The stuff came back with a vengeance. To the point I pushed out another acre next to it for winter plots and I now manage it solely as a clover field.Not looking to bad to be this old.

[[Linked Image]

Also looks like a got the mix about right in the winter plots. The annual clovers in them is really popping, but getting chewed down bad.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 ALDEER.COM