Aldeer.com

roller crimper

Posted By: DAX

roller crimper - 02/15/18 08:51 PM

Have any of you big boy farmers used them? I am thinking about getting one just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with them. Recommendation on brands and so on.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: roller crimper - 02/15/18 09:40 PM

Just match the width of your planter for obvious reasons. I have customers with them. They work well. I know where a 12 row 30" one may be for sale.

Re: roller crimper - 02/15/18 10:36 PM

Thanks 257 a 30' fold out is to big to deal with in the woods. I was thinking 10' or 12 and that may be a problem finding a used one. I wish I could test one to see if is worth it but that ain't gonna happen.

Re: roller crimper - 02/15/18 10:57 PM

Look in S GA. They roll crimp cover crops a lot there problems gonna be one that narrow. Most are setup to accommodate 8 row 38" planters and up.
Posted By: BamaPlowboy

Re: roller crimper - 02/16/18 01:41 AM

I got a 10ft 3pt hitch model I use to roll vetch/rye mixes for no till vegetables, mine came out of Pa. Before that I used two cultipackers hitched together with ok results but the crimper is no joke when it comes to laying down a mulch.

Re: roller crimper - 02/16/18 05:28 AM

I was told that you could use a old double cultipacker with ok results. How did you find it fastline or something. Man I want one bad I'm just having trouble finding one like you have used. I may have to break down and buy a new one and the wife will be pissed.
Posted By: BamaPlowboy

Re: roller crimper - 02/16/18 12:04 PM

Finding a used one will be hard mine came from I&J manufacturing out of Pa, believe it is a Mennonite company, it was about $4000 delivered. They have a website and are very easy to deal with. They have a model which mounts to the front end loader mast where the bucket goes so you can roll and plant at the same time. If your trying to shade out weeds rye or rye/vetch will smother out everything. What will you be planting?

Re: roller crimper - 02/16/18 12:39 PM

I was gonna recommend I&J brand too. They're good units.

Re: roller crimper - 02/16/18 02:31 PM

That ain't bad I'll check them out today. Thanks
Posted By: joeml18

Re: roller crimper - 02/17/18 04:21 AM

Dax...Sent you a pm...off subject
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: roller crimper - 02/19/18 04:28 AM

Dax I used a brillion 8’ 3 pt hitch cultipacker with the big sand wheel last year at my house. It worked pretty good creating a thick mat that surpressed the weeds most of the summer. Had I been able to get a stand of beans I would have had no weed issues. The deer ate up my beans before they got established.

I can text you some pics of what my plot looked like after I had the thatch rolled down. Shoot me a pm if you would the pics.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: roller crimper - 02/19/18 05:43 PM

After y'all roll it are you having trouble planting into the thick mat of whatever you rolled? I've never done it because it always seemed like that would create a mess. But I got a different planter this go-round thanks to 257.

Re: roller crimper - 02/19/18 05:49 PM

Just make sure your roller is same width as planter. If you plant against the roll you're done for. But no as long as its flat you're good
Posted By: Cynical

Re: roller crimper - 02/19/18 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller
After y'all roll it are you having trouble planting into the thick mat of whatever you rolled? I've never done it because it always seemed like that would create a mess. But I got a different planter this go-round thanks to 257.

So YOU'RE the one he sold it to! Grrrrr. smile
© 2024 ALDEER.COM