Aldeer.com

Mineral question

Posted By: Anonymous

Mineral question - 01/31/18 12:20 PM

Just curious what mineral mixes you’ve used and had good experience with. Also, how many you have and where you generally like to place them (bottoms, near food plots, etc?) Thanks
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Mineral question - 01/31/18 12:40 PM

Trophy rocks are easy but expensive. I've used a mix of 2parts granular salt/1 part red granular trace mineral salt/1 part di-calcium phosphate. For the mix dig a hole and mix the minerals with the dirt. I like an area with some clay content. Sandy soil allows for the mineral to leach down thru the soil. I think i'm going to switch the mix up and put 2 parts red mineral salt and one part white salt. I like putting some near plots and near deer trails, but where you can still get an atv to so you don't have to tote everything too far. Trophy rocks are legal to hunt over, the mineral sites are not for some stupid reason. Trophy rocks are about $20. The ingredients for the mineral lick will cost you that,as well, but you can make several licks instead of just one.
Posted By: tsmith

Re: Mineral question - 01/31/18 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by blumsden
Trophy rocks are easy but expensive. I've used a mix of 2parts granular salt/1 part red granular trace mineral salt/1 part di-calcium phosphate. For the mix dig a hole and mix the minerals with the dirt. I like an area with some clay content. Sandy soil allows for the mineral to leach down thru the soil. I think i'm going to switch the mix up and put 2 parts red mineral salt and one part white salt. I like putting some near plots and near deer trails, but where you can still get an atv to so you don't have to tote everything too far. Trophy rocks are legal to hunt over, the mineral sites are not for some stupid reason. Trophy rocks are about $20. The ingredients for the mineral lick will cost you that,as well, but you can make several licks instead of just one.

Agreed. This is what we use and the deer destroy it. 2 parts trace, one part stock salt and 1 part Dical. Great places for cameras during the antler growing season. For $35.00 you have enough to make 4-5 mineral sites. We replenish right after the season and once before the season. I place them next to our supplemental feeders.
Posted By: Joe4majors

Re: Mineral question - 01/31/18 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by blumsden

^^^spot on right here. I typically just get a Trophy Rock since I really only need one for such a small land parcel. I'd give the Redmond minerals a try if I could find it locally.
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Mineral question - 01/31/18 06:36 PM

I think the right soil is a big part of the key in minerals. We have some that will almost never get touched and others that get worn out. Have always put the same thing in them so its not because of different mixes. Just different soils I guess. Seems the more dark rich looking soil doesnt do quite as well. The last couple we put out we dug holes and then took about 4 5 gallon buckets of clay and made a bowl shaped hole before putting mineral there.
Posted By: Dean

Re: Mineral question - 02/02/18 12:45 AM

What is everyone paying for di-calcium phosphate?
Universal Seed & Supply quoted me $35 for 50#.
Posted By: RiverWood

Re: Mineral question - 02/02/18 12:53 AM

Think I paid like $28 last year. One bag is enough to make 200 pounds of mineral. It’s most expensive ingredient

Re: Mineral question - 02/02/18 02:15 AM

I just bought a 50# bag today for $27. I had to call around for it, it wasn’t easy to find. I live down in FL.

Re: Mineral question - 02/02/18 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by jwillinfl
I just bought a 50# bag today for $27. I had to call around for it, it wasn’t easy to find. I live down in FL.

Where did you find it.

Re: Mineral question - 02/02/18 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Dean
Originally Posted by jwillinfl

Where did you find it.

I live down in Florida and found it at a place called Bliss Feed. I’m headed back to our camp in Barbour county on 2/24 if someone needed me to bring them a bag.

Re: Mineral question - 02/16/18 07:15 PM

Picked up some Di-Calcium phosphate at Woodstock Feed & Supply for $24.99 +tax. Only two they had. Supposed to be getting more in sometime soon.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM