Aldeer.com

Atmore AL Long Leaf Alliance Seminar

Posted By: SkinnertonOutlaw

Atmore AL Long Leaf Alliance Seminar - 12/23/17 10:40 PM

Just thought I'd share, I got an email about the long leaf alliance having a 3 day seminar on burning and managing long leaf tracts. It's Feb 20th-22nd, here is the link. https://longleafalliance.org/events/longleaf-academy-fire-longleaf-201-1
Posted By: centralala

Re: Atmore AL Long Leaf Alliance Seminar - 12/24/17 06:19 AM

Long Leaf Alliance? Was this a Bill Boyer project? If so, I thought he died a few years ago?
Posted By: SkinnertonOutlaw

Re: Atmore AL Long Leaf Alliance Seminar - 12/24/17 02:22 PM

I not really sure. I know it's been around since the late 1990's, not sure about who founded the project though. I think they work with the NRCS and the us endowment for forestry providing different programs and funding to help bring back long leaf pine to certain areas. I've only started dealing with long leaf within the last 3 years, most of my work has always been burning for site prep and planting Loblolly and slash, with a little understory on Loblolly. Which is why im going to try to attend this seminar, that is if im not still behind with work like I am now.
Posted By: bwhunter

Re: Atmore AL Long Leaf Alliance Seminar - 12/31/17 08:40 AM

I've been to the Longleaf Academy herbicide workshop. They do a good job putting together some useful coursework for these longleaf academy classes.
Posted By: centralala

Re: Atmore AL Long Leaf Alliance Seminar - 12/31/17 10:57 AM

OK, you long leaf gurus, what do they have to do with the gopher tortoise and the indigo snake? I remember them being intertwined but don't remember how. Also, something I've heard and don't believe, is it takes a long leaf to have a lighter stump? I think I've seen some produced from loblolly's.
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: Atmore AL Long Leaf Alliance Seminar - 12/31/17 09:29 PM

Habitat type. Fire/grass and such.
Posted By: Rebelman

Re: Atmore AL Long Leaf Alliance Seminar - 01/01/18 10:31 AM

‘Lighter stumps’ can come from any species of pine but predominantly long leaf produces pitch much at higher concentrates.
Loblolly lighter would be fine for starting a fire in your fireplace but it isn’t high enough resin count for commercial purposes, especially if hauling 300 miles as they do longleaf stumps.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Atmore AL Long Leaf Alliance Seminar - 01/01/18 10:03 PM

Old growth Slash makes good lightered stumps.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM